Grab your copy of the Hand Reading Workbook!

SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,034 -
edited May 2016 in Live Workbook (Vol 1)
Ready to work on your hand reading skills?

You already know hand reading is important, but what are you doing to hand read better? Most players struggle to study hand reading due to the complexity and lack of material dedicated to it. This is the very reason I created this workbook. Complete with 40 exercises to guide you through understanding your own ranges, assigning better ranges for your opponents, and exploring range vs range situations - this workbook will keep you busy for a LONG time.

3D-small-2.png

This subsection of the forum is dedicated to students who are dedicated to hand reading. Feel free to share your answers from the workbook in this forum and chime in on other player’s ranges. There is no answer key in the book because it would be impossible for an answer key to stay relevant and be personal to your own assumptions - so consider this forum your own answer key.

You can pick up your copy of the workbook here, or find a thread about the exercise you want to discuss in the forum and jump in the conversation.

Good luck & happy grinding!

Comments

• TaintBDTaintBD Red Chipper Posts: 12 ✭✭
    SplitSuit -- LOVE the workbook. Just finished hand 1.
    Wish there were FlopZilla for Mac though!!!!
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,034 -
    TaintBD wrote: »

Thank you!

When I was using a Mac I used VMWare and put a partition of Windows 7 on there. That way I could use software like Flopzilla on the Mac.
  • MoneyloverMoneylover Red Chipper Posts: 12
    I'm interested in getting this book and look forward to hearing what others think about it.
  • Skors3Skors3 Red Chipper Posts: 667 ✭✭✭
    Will hard copies be available on RCP? Or only on amazon?
    Skors3 wrote: »
    Will hard copies be available on RCP? Or only on amazon?

Only on Amazon for the foreseeable future. I suck at being a book shipper lol
  • thepokermonkthepokermonk Red Chipper Posts: 320 ✭✭✭

Hey TaintBD,
    I'm a MAC user as well and just decided to go out and buy a cheap laptop (got an HP for $200) and just use exclusively to run Equilab, Flopzilla, and PokerSnowie. Has worked out great.
  • twopaintstwopaints Red Chipper Posts: 5 ✭✭
    hand #1 done..on to second hand tomrrow
  • DrTriciaDrTricia RCP Coach Posts: 190 ✭✭
    I bought the book in both versions - I'm really looking forward to getting the physical book. It is supposed to be delivered on Tuesday!!!

Also, love therob1776 idea of a cheap pc to run things. I'm on a mac right now but I have a really ancient pc that I use for certain applications. When it dies, I'll just get another cheapo because let's face it, macs cannot do everything :-(
  • tfaziotfazio Red Chipper Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    I have flopzilla installed on my office PC and use Logmein to remote from my mac or iPad. It works great. Flopzilla on an iPad. Can you believe it?
  • DrTriciaDrTricia RCP Coach Posts: 190 ✭✭
    tfazio wrote: »
    I have flopzilla installed on my office PC and use Logmein to remote from my mac or iPad. It works great. Flopzilla on an iPad. Can you believe it?

Thanks for sharing - I would've never figured this out by myself!
  • ImperatorImperator Red Chipper Posts: 898 ✭✭✭
    Logmein! Never heard of it! Must look it up.
  • twopaintstwopaints Red Chipper Posts: 5 ✭✭
    hand #2 done..anyone have any comments yet.
    I've completed it and will post it tomorrow. I had a little trouble with the "super spewy"
    concept. I assume he will be 3B fairly wide 99+, AJ, KQ. I'm not sure how much he will donk bet OOP vs check call too loose. My impression of a Spewy player is that they raise with value hands but call down way too much. This leaves me with only value hands on the River. BTW I prefer potting turn and river with value if he is going to call.
    So far I have Villain raising with his Two Pair+ hands which leaves him w MP at best on the river. My thought was not to bet with hands that can't beat MP on the river.
    Here is my Hand #1
    Hand 1

open raise EP2: 77-AA, AK, AQ, AJs, KQs, QJs

6.64%
    88 combos

Flop:
    Cbet AK, KQ, QJ/AQ spades, PP
    6.2%
    82 combos

Turn:
    Bet 99-AA
    QJss, AQss
    KQ
    AK
    6.1%
    81 combos

Check 88,77
    2.5%
    33 combos

River:
    Bet 99, AA, KK, QQ
    AK, AQ, KQ
    3.5%
    46 combos
    Here is my Hand 2
    Hand 2

MP2 opening range:
    22-AA
    AK, AQ
    AJs,ATs
    KQs, QJs,9Ts+
    10.6%
    125 combos

Flop Cbet Jhigh rainbow board: 100%
    10.6%
    125 combos

Turn Jc
    88, JJ-AA
    AK-ATc
    9T
    AJ-JT
    3.4%
    37 combos

River 3s: Bet $140 into $210 pot with what?
    88, JJ
    AJ-JTss
    1.1%
    12 combos
    super spewy in Hand 2 means that he chases draws and will peel on the Flop with overcards.
    So when the draws missed by the River, my betting range narrowed to 1% because there is not much he will call with (or certainly check-raise) that I beat.

Usually super spewy fish like to slowplay as well. So I gave villain a J even though he only check called the Turn.
  • philby20philby20 Red Chipper Posts: 189 ✭✭
    Is this something just for live players or do u fell the applications will translate into online applications also as i have been floating between live and online a lot lately
  • dirty moosedirty moose Red Chipper Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    A quick comment about James and the workbook ...

I've been working on the hand reading lab and now James new book.

I have to say, nothing I've read or done recently has challenged me as much as these two products. It certainly not easy though.

When you have to sit and question your own ranges, it not always easy. Your mistakes, sometimes, but become so obvious. It's humbling.

I'm glad I have both to challenge myself and to help find leaks. These are leaks can be plugged on the fly.

Any who, hope to see you guys in the mastermind workshop, it's something I'd hoped we'd do with the lab, I think it will be the best part of the new book.

Matt

philby20 wrote: »
    Is this something just for live players or do u fell the applications will translate into online applications also as i have been floating between live and online a lot lately

The exercises are for all cash game players I would say (since pretty much all hands are 100bb+ spots). The hands are from $1/$2 and $2/$5 games - and they may feel a bit odd for an online player given the bet sizes (especially when it comes to open-raises) - but shy of that they are exercises that all cash game players would benefit from doing =)
    A quick comment about James and the workbook ...

Thanks bud!
  • philby20philby20 Red Chipper Posts: 189 ✭✭
    add to cart :)
    philby20 wrote: »
    add to cart :)

enjoy it!
  • TxChipperTxChipper Red Chipper Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Just added to cart!
    TxChipper wrote: »
    Just added to cart!

Enjoy!
  • Marius GigiMarius Gigi Red Chipper Posts: 1 ✭✭

For Mac you could use Crossover and install Flopzilla on it. It works perfectly like it would be a mac app!
  • jgallegos_23jgallegos_23 Red Chipper Posts: 13
    So I am continuously working on hand range stuff. James (or anyone who has the book already. Do you start off with basics of building hand ranges and figuring out #of combos or is that something that is assumed a reader already has a decent grip on and the workbook give you scenarios to make you stronger. Either way I will be purchasing the hard copy, but feel like I need a little extra help at first until I completely understand a concept then I can take off with it.

Thanks for the response in advance.

J.
    So I am continuously working on hand range stuff. James (or anyone who has the book already. Do you start off with basics of building hand ranges and figuring out #of combos or is that something that is assumed a reader already has a decent grip on and the workbook give you scenarios to make you stronger. Either way I will be purchasing the hard copy, but feel like I need a little extra help at first until I completely understand a concept then I can take off with it.

Thanks for the response in advance.

J.

That is something that is assumed the reader already knows - but you would do this work along-side software like Flopzilla and software gives you the combo count (and with enough reps you gain an innate feel for combo count).

If you need help with combos, these videos are for you

Jgallegos-23, James goes over at the beginning of each chapter an example of how to
    use the workbook. Section 1 is about your ranges in different scenarios, section 2 is about Villains range against your specific hand. Section 3 is about building range vs range and brings the new skills together. James has developed templates for each section to keep you organized and the tool that you use is flopzilla. I purchased the Hand Reading Lab first which was excellent and am attending a the mastermind seminar which formed a small community around the workbook. I can't speak highly enough about the product. The added bonus is the workbook has so many possible dimensions. Each example can be done using different player types you are facing giving you a completely different journey down the rabbit hole. Best of luck
  • MoneyloverMoneylover Red Chipper Posts: 12
    I'm a recreational player who is fairly new to NL hold 'em and needed a lot of help with hand reading skills. I'm halfway through this book and have gotten a lot out of it. Great product.
  • JayJay Red Chipper Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    @SplitSuit - you mentioned hitting you up to get a copy of the hand reading template in one of your videos. Where can i get a copy? My email is [email protected]

thanks in advance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file