Hand #1: XX on K52

SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,910 -
Ready to share your answers? Start by using this template, then post your answer, and then make sure to make at least one comment on another person's range. If you spot errors (like they forgot to carry a hand from one street to the next or that they seem to be too tight on a specific card) - let a poster know. We are all here to learn - so a give-n-take mentality goes a long way in this forum =)

PREFLOP: RANGE (%-form)(# combos)

:Ks :5d :2s

FLOP: RANGE (%-of previous range)(# combos)

:9c

TURN: RANGE (%-of previous range)(# combos)

:Qh

RIVER: RANGE (%-of previous range)(# combos)
My latest poker course brings the popular book 'Poker's 1%' to life- The One Percent

Comments

• mbehr1983mbehr1983 Red Chipper Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    No software at work will do hopefully this evening. I will post here hoping to get feedback since I think very few players in my game study most play the cards they are dealt. They always talk I know you have a specific hand and such like that. If I raise they think I have KK+ but they are so inelastic they still call lol
  • tfaziotfazio Red Chipper Posts: 817 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    PREFLOP: RANGE (10.7%)(142 combos)

Worst Broadway = KQo
    Worst PP = 22
    Only suited connectors = KQ

FLOP: RANGE (57% of previous range )
    (71 combos)

Would you CB with:
    TP = Only AK TPTK
    Flush Draws = Yes
    66-QQ = No I would check

TURN: RANGE (58%-of previous range)
    (41 combos)

RIVER: RANGE (37%-of previous range)
    (15 combos)

Bet Three streets with:
    TP No
    Missed Draws No
    AA Yes

public link:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3793460/Hand Reading workbk Hand 1.pdf
    SplitSuit wrote: »
    Ready to share your answers? Start by using this template, then post your answer, and then make sure to make at least one comment on another person's range. If you spot errors (like they forgot to carry a hand from one street to the next or that they seem to be too tight on a specific card) - let a poster know. We are all here to learn - so a give-n-take mentality goes a long way in this forum =)

22+ ATs+ KTs+ QTs+ Ajo+ JTs and 9Ts
    13% 178 combos
    worst pair 22
    worst broadway JTs
    and 9Ts

FLOP: RANGE (%-of previous range)(# combos)Range is ATs KTs QTs KK 55+ 22 JTs 9Ts
    9.4% 111 combos
    Top Pair I Cbet
    Flush Draws Icbet
    66-QQ check

Range AA KK 55 22 99 ATs+ QTs KQ
    Top Pair bet
    Flush Draw 50/50
    second pair Check
    6% and 68 combos

Range AA KK 55 22 99 ATs+ QTs KQ
    Flush Draw 50/50
    second pair Check
    6% and 68 combos
    TPTK check
    Draws I probably check
    AA I bet hoping he has top pair if we get raised then i guess it might be time to let it go.

A few things this is my first time doing something like this. If you all could look and see if I am on the right track that would be great. I have a lot of work to do. I am using poker cruncher, How do you get % of previous range? I hope it gets easier
    Yeah I noticed your % are incorrect
    You divide the # of combos you are CB with
    by the number of combos you brought with you from the previous street (after card removal, the cards that cannot be in your range because the came out on the flop)
    Using your example 68/111= 61%
    Flopzilla is much easier to use.
    I'm a Mac user but I remote into my pc it works fine.
    Once again Dougs "constructing ranges"
    Goes over all of this
    thought about that before i started but will give it a Look before I do the next one
  • SitibenSitiben Red Chipper Posts: 2
    tfazio wrote: »
    PREFLOP: RANGE (10.7%)(142 combos)

Worst Broadway = KQo
    Worst PP = 22
    Only suited connectors = KQ

FLOP: RANGE (57% of previous range )
    (71 combos)

Would you CB with:
    TP = Only AK TPTK
    Flush Draws = Yes
    66-QQ = No I would check

public link:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3793460/Hand Reading workbk Hand 1.pdf

Hi Tfazio, thank you very much for sharing your worksheet - super helpful. My starting range is a bit tighter than yours (7-8%) but we end up with the same number of C-bet combos on the Flop. I was wondering why you were choosing to bet 22-44 as bluffs vs. some higher pairs that potentially still have more equity when called? I generally like my bluffs to have some equity but in this case if we get called with 33 by a nit our equity is pretty much 0 no?

Thank you for any insights you share!
    Ben

I needed more bluffs and did not have FD or oesds so I used weak pairs
    The idea was to keep the better pairs in the checking range so when you check you have some strong hands to bring to showdown
    I feel my range should have been wider and include More Ax suited and suited conn
    That way I would have had more FDs
    You are correct my CB range is polarized
    Vs nit.
  • ATB123ATB123 Red Chipper Posts: 9
    Hey Fazio--- If you play a few suited connectors in the beginning, you will have a few more busted hands at the end which you can use as bluffs.

I tried question 1 tonight. I don't have Flopzilla. I used Equilab and so far so good. Do you think I'll lose a lot of the experience using just Equilab?

My ranges were like this. I opened about 14.5 %. AJo+, all suited Aces, 55+, I left out KQo but not sure about that one, all suited broadway, J9s, QTs, K9s, and 76+. Its 192 combos and slightly modified from a range I saw in an Ed Miller video.

After flop I was left with 176 combos. Its not good that we got called by someone in position, but the flop is good for us and it is a nit, so I'm betting a lot. 140 combos. 79% of previous range. I bet all top pairs, all FD's , more, and all 66-QQ except for QQ which I am checking back to add strength to my checks and am not giving up. I also check back AQo as it still has value and I might not give up with that either. I'm checking to give up 20 combos which are whiffed suited connectors and suited aces that are clubs or hearts.

On turn I am left with 136 combos. I'm betting 95 combos, 69% of previous range. This includes a lot of made hands and draws, including gutshots. I checked back KQo to add some strength to my checks. I gave up a bunch of whiffed aces and some low pairs.

On the river I ended betting 33 value combos including AA AK sets straights and K9 of course; I had already checked my QQ and KQ. I only bluffed 17 combos including my busted gutshots and 88. Betting was 50% of my range.

I like the book so far. I like trying to crunch ranges and numbers but find I like it when a coach provides insight as well; will the author provide some insight or lessons learned from these hands? I think that would help my learning, at least.

ATB123,
    I agree I could have opened up wider.
    As far as flopzilla in concerned I much prefer it for this kind of analysis.
    You can run range vs range, connect both boards and see the equities.
    My evolution started with Ed's 1% book and the frequency concept.
    Doug did a series of "constructing ranges" videos the are an expansion on the 70%
    concept and bluff vs value mix using flopzilla.
    Finally James' hand reading lab is excellent and is the missing link that will bring together the concepts in the workbook. I am beginning to see the insight behind the hand selection in the workbook.
    If you a mac guy I suggest putting flopzilla on a pc and remoting into it using Logmein.
    That is the method I use.
    James has said that this kind of off the table work is the key to improvement and he is correct. I have seen a major difference in my game just don't fall down the rabbit hole.
  • NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭
    I've read Poker's 1% and even though I feel that I have only a basic understanding of the concepts in the book, I wanted to attempt to apply as much of it as I can as I work through the hands. After some revisions, here is my Hand #1. I will post my information from the workbook as well as some of my thoughts on why I chose certain hands. If you see any errors in my work, please assist me.

Opening Range: KQo worst Broadway, 66 worst pair, KQs, AJs+ connectors. This is an 8% open for a total of 106 combos. Note: I am a 6 max player and I would normally open significantly wider than this in a 6 max game but this hand is based on full ring and I think opening wider may be too loose for these table dynamics.

FLOP: :Ks :5d :2s

I chose to CB 100% of my range here which has now decreased to 95 combos since the :Ks hit the flop. (In Poker's 1%, the ideal target is 70% but I am also trying to stay as close as 1:2 value:bluff on the flop which is also from the book). I believe that my lower pocket pairs in addition to my whiffed hands are to be considered bluffs vs. a nit here.

TURN: :9c - Now down to 92 combos after this card since I had 99 as part of my range that I bet on the flop. I have 36 combos of top pair+, 2 combos of flush draws (AsQs and AsJs), and 12 combos of second pair (QQ and JJ) that I am willing to bet here, which is a total of 56 combos out of 92 or 61% of my previous range. My original work of this hand put me around a frequency of 35% on the turn which I realized was way too low and did not contain any bluffs so I added my spade semi-bluffs and 12 combos of underpairs. My range here is dominated by more value hands that it would be vs. the typical player since I am up against a nit, otherwise I would be more balanced on my value to bluff ratio on the turn.

RIVER: :Qh - Now down from 56 combos to 49 combos since many of my combos had this card in them. On the river, I would be betting with QQ+ (including AA), 99, AKo, AKs, KQo, and KQs and checking my missed flush draws and JJ. This brings my river combos to 36 out of 49 combos or 73% of my previous range.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,910 -
    @Ninjah Was the assumption that villain would float the flop often or rarely?
    My latest poker course brings the popular book 'Poker's 1%' to life- The One Percent
    @SplitSuit I think he will float fairly often with 66-JJ (he reraises QQ-AA pre, maybe JJ depending on the level of nittiness) as well as spade draws AQ, AJ, and maybe A10, believing that he can bet the turn or pot control if I give up after firing a CB. This was my reasoning behind firing a CB with 100% of my range on the flop so that it enables me to fire my second bullet on the turn with the strongest parts of my range with the expectation that he is folding most of the time to that bet, or at a minimum only proceeding with what should produce a very straightforward range as we move to the river.
    Given that logic, why are you not betting more often on the turn as well?
    So maybe include 1010 and 88 in my turn betting range? I would count those as bluffing hands vs a nit and it would put my value:bluff ratio a little closer to the desired 1:1 and increase my betting frequency to 74%.
    Ninjah wrote: »
    So maybe include 1010 and 88 in my turn betting range? I would count those as bluffing hands vs a nit and it would put my value:bluff ratio a little closer to the desired 1:1 and increase my betting frequency to 74%.

Does your ratio matter much if your opponent has an even bigger frequency issue?
    edited April 2016
    No. No it doesn't haha. He isn't going to defend often enough especially vs. continued aggression. So it wouldn't be as much about the ratio but rather more about frequency. That makes sense. Correct line of thinking now?
    I'd say so :)
  • SachaSacha Red Chipper Posts: 17 ✭✭
    PREFLOP: RANGE 10)(130 combos)
    22+, ATs+, AK, AQ
    KQs, KJs, QJs

FLOP: RANGE (35%-of previous range)(37 combos)
    CB or check:
    TP-CB
    FD-CB
    66-QQ-CB
    Range: 22+, ATs+(only diamonds and spades)
    AK, AQ, KQs, KJs
    QJs (only diamonds and spades)

TURN: RANGE (4%-of previous range)(37 combos)
    Check or bet:
    TP-bet
    FD-bet
    SP-check
    Range: AA, KK, 99,55, 22
    ATs+(only spades)
    AK, KQ, KJ, QJs (only spades and diamonds)

RIVER: RANGE (3%-of previous range)(29 combos)
    Bet all 3 streets...
    TP-just AK
    MD-no
    AA-yes
    Range: AA, KK, 99,55, 22
    AK, KQ

Looks nitty compared to other people's answers but against a nit I would play it this way.

Hey Sacha,

If you are betting 37 combos on the flop and then 37 combos on the turn, your turn %-of-previous-range number would be 100%. And on the river it would be 29/37 since you bet 29 combos on the river of the possible 37 combos you got to the river with.
  • BlackBoxEquityBlackBoxEquity Red Chipper Posts: 1
    Pre-Flop:
    AA-77, 98s+, QTs+, KTs+, ATs, AKo, AQo
    9.05%
    120 combos

Flop:
    C-Betting everything except QQ, JJ, TT; I think this is a good texture to bluff (one and done with lots of my bluffs).
    % of Previous Range: 76%
    92 combos

Turn:
    Most of my bluffs are done betting except AQ-AT of Spades. Still betting all top pair along with T9s, 98s, sets, and AA.
    % of Previous Range: 41%
    38 combos

River:
    Still betting all top pair plus and AQs. No bluffs in my river betting range, all made hands.
    % of Previous Range: 87%
    33 combos
  • billconklinbillconklin Red Chipper Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Having read over the assignment for section one, and interpreting it to mean that we were to develop OUR OWN range and make adjustments to our range on each street, I proceeded in that direction. I didn't spend much time thinking about the range of the Nit which could range from 5% to a TAG who was card dead.
    I am a devotee of the teachings of Ed and Split. In my own game, live, I use the ranges suggested by Ed, and plan to continue that until I have a reason to change it. I avoided reading any of the comments on here until I had completed the exercise and written out my ideas.

All pairs, all suited Aces, All suited double B'Ways and suited connectors down to 7-6. I added AQo+ to complete my range. 14.3% 190 combos

I used Flopzilla, and made use of the green button.
    My range now included KK+, 55, 22.
    My range is not capped, as I believe my opponents is, him having just merely called my opening. Somy range included those 4 pairs, as well as AK+, all spade suited Aces, suited connectors from QJ spades to 7-6 spades, QT spades and suited KT - KQ (every suit.)
    Following the (indispensable) green button, I removed all other pairs up to and including QQ, and also AQo. Perhaps I could have made a case for leaving QQ and AQo in. Range 31% of Preflop range; 53 combos.

I would check top pair
    I would raise all flush draws
    The question of 66-QQ is settled, as I am not including them in this range.
    The presence of the question makes me think maybe this is incorrect, but I didn't want the clock called so I just put down my answer!

The turn made no difference in my range, but gave me a pair of 9's with T9s and 98s.
    Range still 31%, combos 53. I would bet with my entire range.

69% of previous range, 36 combos.22, 55, KK, and AA remain; Both AKo and AKs remain as does JTs which makes a str8.
    all the suited aces are removed as are all of the other spade suited cards, I would bet with my entire range.

The rest of this (below) is just jerkin' around since we weren't asked to do it.

I would bet all of them remaining. Just for fun, I gave him, in my mind, the same starting range I used myself, 14.3 %, but he is capped and I am not. He could have sets of 2 or 5, of course. But I deny him QQ+ AK+ He could beat me with the two sets if I have just top pair.
    If he raised the river I'd have to see how big it was. I might fold to a shove with just a pair.

My answers are pretty plain-vanilla compared to some of the others which include elaborate use of other software, leaving dead combos in for bluffs, and ranging the opponent. My assumption is that we get to the opponents range in the next section, and both ranges in the third.

I tend to think visually, for example having a mental image of a Flopzilla chart for a range and knocking out some combos. But a line listing of all the combos turns my brain into Jello. I just cant do it that way, at least yet.

All comments and critiques will be most welcome.

Bill
  • billconklinbillconklin Red Chipper Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Well, maybe not the 9's. BC
  • DieterDieter Red Chipper Posts: 11 ✭✭
    First time doing this so please bear with me.
    Since I play 6max online I nitted up a bit to adjust to the 9handed play.

PREFLOP: RANGE (8.14%)(108 combos)
    77+, ATs+, AQo+, KQs, QJs, JTs, 98s

FLOP: RANGE (31%)(31 combos)
    I continue with the flushdraws, AK, AA, KK & KQ

TURN: RANGE (51.6%)(16 combos)
    Top pair is mostly a check unless I have a flush draw combo.

RIVER: RANGE (75%)(12)
    OTR I bet with my missed draw which are total air AJ, AT. And for value I bet with AA, KK & TJs

Would love to hear comments.
    Dieter wrote: »

What assumptions are you making that only leave you CBing 31% of the time on the flop?
  • DieterDieter Red Chipper Posts: 11 ✭✭

What assumptions are you making that only leave you CBing 31% of the time on the flop?

I don't feel the need to bloat the pot OOP against a nit. Going over the hand I made the mistake of not including my backdoor diamonds I think (doubt between beting & x/c). Cbing range of 38% is what the change makes..
    Given that I don't have much 5's & 2's in my range I have range advantage on the K high board.
    Also X/C the medium pp's.

This would be my cbetting range with the diamond backdoor included.
    http://imgur.com/qallzKB
    Also X/C the medium pp's.

There is a PRO video coming out by Jones in the upcoming months that I'd like you to keep an eye out for (it's called "defending flop checks") - you will love it and it will explain in great detail why you don't want to auto-defend in this way.

To the hand - if you CB and the nit calls you - what's likely going to happen on the turn/river runouts? Does the nit get sticky for multiple streets or end up folding a lot before showdown?
  • SachaSacha Red Chipper Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Hey Sacha,

If you are betting 37 combos on the flop and then 37 combos on the turn, your turn %-of-previous-range number would be 100%. And on the river it would be 29/37 since you bet 29 combos on the river of the possible 37 combos you got to the river with.

Ok I see I really screwed up the math after the preflop numbers. I just spent 2 hrs trying to figure out things and these are my new numbers. Boy this stuff is tough! I still don't know how on flopzilla to show the % of previous range.(I read tfazio's post about how to do it on the calculator). I hit the green button but nothing changes. I did however hit tab this time to get the correct combos (which I was writing the combos before the board cards took away a few).

James can you please tell me if my math looks correct now?

Preflop--10%, 130 combos
    Flop--84%, 109 combos
    Turn--34%, 37 combos
    River--78%, 29 combos
    edited May 2016
    If the green button is on the number in the box is either your number of combos or percent filtered for by checking off the type of hands above for example Top Pair of Flush draw. By tabing you switch between combo and %
    mode. In combo mode next to the filter box it will say for example 46 of 61 combos. Tab to get the percent or divide. On some street it may say this directly below the list of hand types. The number of total combos is your total number from the previous street subtracting card removal. I hope I have answered your question. As you go forward from street to street remember to keep the buttons clicked green to bring the filtered range with you to the next street.
  • EculwellEculwell Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    From early position I'm going to be very tight and only open premium hands.
    AA-99, AKs - A9s, AKo-AJo and KQo, KQs-KTs. That's 8.75% and 116 combos.

AA, KK, AK-A9s, KQ. That's 41.7% of opening hands, 43 combos.

Top Pair - Bet
    Flush Draws - Bet
    66-QQ - Bet QQ only check the others

AK, KK, AK-A9s, KQ. That's 100% pass thru with 43 combos.

Top pair - Bet
    Flush Draw - Bet
    Second Pair - Check and fold to a bet

AA, AK - KT, KQ. That's 90% of previous and 36 combos
  • EculwellEculwell Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    From early position I'm going to be very tight and only open premium hands.
    AA-99, AKs - A9s, AKo-AJo and KQo. That's 8.75% and 116 combos.

AA, KK, AK-A9s, KQ. That's 41.7% 43 combos

Top pair - Bet
    Flush Draw - Bet
    66-QQ - Bet QQ only, check others

AA, KK, AK-A9s, KQ. That's 100% 43 combos

Top pair - Bet
    Flush Draw - Bet
    Second Pair - Check

AA, KK, AK - KTs, KQ 90% 36 combos

Top Pair - Bet
    Missed draws - Check fold
    AA - Bet

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file