HUD for those in the land of the online dead....

Joe IngersollJoe Ingersoll Red Chipper Posts: 3
As a learning amateur, I have often wanted to invest in a HUD. As much as a learning tool as a financial investment. However, I live in the land of the online dead. I can play for cash on Bovada and I play in an online group on pokerstars play money. I am not sure any work on Bovada and there was talk of pokerstars banning anyway. I tried the free Jivaro just to see if it would work on stars and failed. Do you have any insight or advice here?

Answers

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,984 -
    Welcome to the forum Joe!

A HUD on Bovada would be pretty useless given the anon nature of the site unfortunately. If you wanted to practice using a HUD I think ACR is one of the last remaining US options to do that.

That being said, what is your true goal for doing this? To have hands you've played saved so that you can review them? Or to really understand how HUDs work? Or something else entirely?
  • Eon137Eon137 Red Chipper Posts: 161 ✭✭
    I live in NY state, so I'm in the same boat regarding online options. I recently started playing microstakes on Betcoin. Pokertracker4 works on the freeroll tourneys and mico cash games. I managed to win $0.55 in a freeroll tourney, and have been grinding away with that, so I haven't made any deposits yet. My goal is similar to yours; learn how to use a HUD and incorporate this thinking into my game. I find that having basic stats like VPIP, folds to 3-bets, 3bet frequency etc. are really helpful in hand reading.
  • Joe IngersollJoe Ingersoll Red Chipper Posts: 3
    I am like Eon. I am looking for a great
    er understanding of hand and player ranges
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,984 -
    I am like Eon. I am looking for a great
    er understanding of hand and player ranges

Open up Equilab and start getting a feel for what % of hands common ranges are. For instance, what does a 10% range look like or how much strength does a 15% 3bet range have in it? HUD stats are just frequencies and those frequencies can be converted to real-ranges when you know what to look for...
  • CHRfreeISTCHRfreeIST Red Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Where can I go to learn HUD's from the ground up?
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,016 -
    Jai Coward wrote: »
    Where can I go to learn HUD's from the ground up?

SplitSuit has a 3-part PRO series on the topic which is definitive, but if you're not a PRO member here's some free stuff:

https://www.splitsuit.com/setting-up-poker-hud-stats

https://redchippoker.com/turning-hud-stats-real-ranges-podcast/ (narrow focus)

https://forum.redchippoker.com/discussion/3402/need-advice-on-hud-software
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Joseph FJoseph F Red Chipper Posts: 820 ✭✭✭
    There is absolutely, positively no reason to play online poker on the US facing sites. They're all 100% illegitimate at this point and have been for some time.
  • CHRfreeISTCHRfreeIST Red Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
    @Joseph F ... I am just getting geared up to begin... can you elaborate a bit more on your experience(s) and the illegitimacy of online play? What site(s) were you playing on?
  • Joseph FJoseph F Red Chipper Posts: 820 ✭✭✭
    edited February 15
    CHRfreeIST wrote: »
    @Joseph F ... I am just getting geared up to begin... can you elaborate a bit more on your experience(s) and the illegitimacy of online play? What site(s) were you playing on?

I was half joking, half serious. I will just say that you can expect higher rake than you may like, have to adjust your strategy accordingly, and expect some crazy variance if you play properly and not overly conservative. The fact is that we actually have *more* total options than we did 5 years ago but we didn't have the botting and scripting issues that so many seem to believe exist today.

One thing online play will definitely do today is make you better at the game. The volume + challenge, alongside with studying on a site like RCP, will no doubt elevate your game significantly. Just start off with relatively low stakes for what you can afford so you can test the waters cheaply. At least initially.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file