Tricky tournament spot

theClubbertheClubber Red Chipper Posts: 167 ✭✭
10 handed of an 84-player live tournament ($150 buy in)
We agreed to pay the bubble (10th) $200. 9th place is $354. First is $3000.

Blinds are 2000/4000/500. Average stack is 120K. Field is not very strong, with little 3-betting and lots of passive play in general. There are a few solid regulars, but mostly tourists that don't seem very studied. Hero is the second shortest stack after losing a big flip TT < AQo. The shortest stack is in the BB.

UTG1 had just lost the prior hand. He has generally shown down a strong range. He won a hand with me earlier where I 3-bet TT and he called with QQ. He said he almost folded that hand pre-flop.

UTG1 raises to 11K. two players behind call and the button calls. Hero is in the SB with 45K. Hero has 77.

Comments

• Christian SotoChristian Soto RCP Coach Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭
  • FilthyCasualFilthyCasual Red Chipper Posts: 871 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Fold

That doesn't show much heart :(

But yeah, I don't think you have much(edit: enough) FE with your chip stack and a utg1 open and three flats so ripping it isn't great, and Flatting 1/4 of your stack to set mine is bad too

Fold, look for some LP steals with your stack. You could kind of waddle by for an orbit if you get some atrocious cards, but I'd be looking to open rip suited connectors down to 89, Suited ace, suited king, q9s+. Tightening up when we are more MP

@Soto
    What would be the lowest hand you would get involved with here? JJ/AK rip?
  • SaintsTigersSaintsTigers Red Chipper Posts: 238 ✭✭
    If you were playing in the big blind, you should strongly consider calling, imo. Assuming the small blind folds, the pot would be 44,000, almost giving you the immediate odds of 7.5 odds to flop a set or better. Given the stack and pot sizes you're almost guaranteed to get action on an all in bet with a flopped set. And if you don't get action, then you had the best hand to begin with. Given the tournament situation (money up top, you are the short stack at the FT with about 10bbs), I don't think you need much more than 7.5:1 payout odds to play here. Don't worry about the reverse implied odds of being coolered since you need to give yourself a chance to win a big pot sooner rather than later.

In the small blind at an aggressive table I would at least consider calling, assuming the big blind isn't likely to squeeze. Here though, you described the table as passive. So you should have plenty of opportunities in the next orbit to open and pick up a few chips.
  • Riverboat BillRiverboat Bill Red Chipper Posts: 454 ✭✭
    This would be a hard fold for me. But folding looks like the best play. So far, there are four players in the pot making it very doubtful 77 wins unimproved. You also are pot committed if you call. If you can't lay the hand down here, it doubtful you will lay down to a raise with a chance to win enough chips to put you back among the chip leaders.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file