Overpair vs. Straddle in Live 2/5 Foxwoods

OneManCold85OneManCold85 Red Chipper Posts: 31 ✭✭
Been crushing 1/2 games lately no matter where I play, Foxwoods/Mohegan/Underground game etc... Really feeling good about my game, thanks in large part to all the content on RedChipPoker!! This is the first time I've taken a shot at 2/5.

Started with $500, stack probably $400 at this point probably only 2 orbits into my session. I 3bet with AQ once and folded on a terrible flop vs. multiple opponents.

Current Hand:
Villain in straddle has about $3600 in front of him, covering the table by probably $1k more than anyone else. He seems to be one of the best at the table, opens or isos to larger amounts than the rest of the table, usually around 30 or 35 as an open or after a limper, and usually follows up with aggression post-flop.

Villain straddles to 10 (utg). I raise to 35 from MP1 with black AA.
1 caller IP. Villain in straddle calls. Pot approx 110.

Flop 662r.
Straddle bets 50. I call. I think he's probably bluffing with a lot of stuff, could have a 6 or a 2 or an overpair that I'm crushing. He also probably know that I don't really have any 6s in my range, except for 66. IP player folds.

Pot = 210. Effective stacks 315.

Turn 2.

Straddle checks. I bet 135. He shoves for 180 more. Pot = 480.

What do you guys think? 180 more for me to call. Pot odds tell me I need to win here about 28% of the time. Does he have enough bluffs and/or pairs to make this call, or is it too often a 6 or a 2??

Thanks! I look forward to hearing what you think!

Comments

• Skors3Skors3 Red Chipper Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely call.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The range that beats you, A2s, A6s, 76s+, 86s, and thats about it if it is a good player. As described I think you would have to call if he is putting you on a hand like AK he could be shoving a lot of 33-TT type hands I suppose. I've been watching a ton of splitsuite youtube videos on situations like this where you have a set and flush hits and get jammed into being offered 3:1 etc etc, but most of the time long run its a call. Unless you can make some sick live read. I would consider checking back the turn as there are not really any draws he can call with and I think your hand may only get 1 street of value more. Maybe that is too passive of a line though.
  • ChibberChibber Red Chipper Posts: 373 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Straddles often defend with a pretty wide range, and he has all the 6's and 2's in his calling range. In addition, he is getting a decent price to call pre with one caller in between.

Although donk leads are typically weak, he then follows up with a check raise when you bet the turn. Fold you're smoked.
  • Wiki_LeaksWiki_Leaks Red Chipper Posts: 563 ✭✭✭
    depending on how passively he will play TT,JJ preflop you might want to consider a flop raise for value. Nut hands are 46,56,76,86,A6 (10 combos). If you think he continues with all overpairs its a slam dunk raise. Its tragic if a Q rolls off and he folds TT when he wouldve played for it on flop.
  • OneManCold85OneManCold85 Red Chipper Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Chibber wrote: »
    Straddles often defend with a pretty wide range, and he has all the 6's and 2's in his calling range. In addition, he is getting a decent price to call pre with one caller in between.

Although donk leads are typically weak, he then follows up with a check raise when you bet the turn. Fold you're smoked.

That's kinda what I was thinking afterwards Chibber. Since I think he's a pretty good player, and he also seemed to think so, he's probably calling with such a wide range in the straddle. Which means he has so many 6s.

Also, when you look at my percieved range as an opener in MP and calling the flop, I probably still have all the overpairs, so he's gotta realize that raising the turn as a bluff here would be a bit silly.

Let me know when you guys want the results and I'll post them.
  • HalHal Red Chipper Posts: 12 ✭✭
    I think the flop is a shove. You're beating his range. It's barely more than a pot sized shove.

You're either ahead and shove, or behind and fold. Don't wait for the turn to muddle things this shallow
    Hal wrote: »
    I think the flop is a shove. You're beating his range. It's barely more than a pot sized shove.

You're either ahead and shove, or behind and fold. Don't wait for the turn to muddle things this shallow

We're still just so deep on the flop (when I call the flop the pot is 210 and I still have 315 behind)

and I want to keep all his bluffs in - let them catch up really!!

If he's just trying to take it down on a raggedy flop with any two over cards then I'm praying he pairs up on the turn and he actually wants to get the money in. I feel like if I just shove the flop he can pretty much play most of his range perfectly, by folding all the garbage, and calling with 6s. Then I only get value from overpairs, which there aren't that many of with him just flatting in the straddle (77-TT maybe).
  • ChibberChibber Red Chipper Posts: 373 ✭✭✭
    If you give the villain a range of JJ-77, 2 combos of A6, KQo, and 3 combos of 22. Hero is basically 87% - 13%.

Shoving just allows the V to fold all of his range hero beats and calls the part of the range that beats us. This is assuming the V is reasonably competent..
  • GabeyJGabeyJ Red Chipper Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    You aren't really that deep at any point in
    This hand just get it in on the flop at under 100bb I think the room for being tricky is a lot less.
    RESULTS:

I called, he showed 25o for the boat, and I didn't hit a 4 outer on the river...

I think next time I can probably fold here. Just because from his perspective I can have a whole bunch of big pairs, but can't have a 6, so he can happily bet the bottom full house and expect to get called by guys like me who can't yet fold AA in that spot.
  • MrDorsiaMrDorsia Red Chipper Posts: 7
    Yeah, looking back on that, a fold is just about always the correct decision. It's tough to look down at AA and lay it down; almost impossible on the flop, but in later streets, the developing texture of the board and our opponents range + our perceived range must be taken into account, even if means chucking those bullets into the muck! Thanks for the share brother. .

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file