New Hand History App for Live Poker

AcesaladAcesalad Red Chipper Posts: 240 ✭✭
edited January 2017 in General Concepts
With the gracious permission of Splitsuit I am pleased to announce the release of the iPhone Poker Hand History app.  I created this app because I found no others existing that allowed you to track the details of a particular hand of poker in a quick and efficient manner.  I designed it to minimize the amount of taps needed to enter a hand and eliminate the use of wheels to enter cards.  If anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer them here.  I hope to have a demonstration video available shortly.  Here is the link to it in the iTunes store:

https://appsto.re/us/-l94bb.i

Sorry non iPhone users, but it took me a long time to complete this between learning how to program it and actually creating it.  Creating an Android version would be just as great a challenge and I have to see if it is popular enough to warrant the commitment.

Comments

• GabeyJGabeyJ Red Chipper Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    I just bought this seems like once I get the hang of it. Hand tracking will be an easier process
  • AcesaladAcesalad Red Chipper Posts: 240 ✭✭
    Thank you! I think it's pretty intuitive. I have used it in my game and was able to record lots of hands quickly.
  • tfaziotfazio Red Chipper Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    The problem I have with live HH programs is they are hard to use. Although I have not used this product I have purchased a few similar apps and find them difficult. If its harder than using iPhone notepad or voice recorder or even just a pencil and actual notepad I get frustrated. I would be willing to try it it see how it works. Is there a demo version I could evaluate. I would gladly write a review if I like it. Not having used it and just seeing the screen shot may I suggest you try and use the iOS scrolling feature that allows you to make card selection.
    It seems to be able to get the job done effectively. But I guess I'll
    Find during my next session
  • ImperatorImperator Red Chipper Posts: 899 ✭✭✭
    I need an Android App that is easy to use! The hardest thing I do over the felt, beside's hand reading, is simply paying attention to the game and keeping a hand history. I want to keep better hand histories!
    GabeyJ wrote: »
    It seems to be able to get the job done effectively. But I guess I'll
    Find during my next session

I look forward to seeing what you think after a live session!
  • ChipXtractorChipXtractor Red Chipper Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭
    Just tweeted the link out. Hopefully we can get some interest going for you.

I ddont use iphone so can't comment directly but I am a buyer of Android version if it ever gets developed.

Good luck and well done.

cXt
  • rabidjazzrabidjazz Red Chipper Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Just downloaded and playing with it for a few minutes. My initial thoughts:

1. I like the large buttons for entering cards. One of the problems I have always had using my phone for recording hhs is I waste so much time correcting mistakes by pushing the wrong button that I have found them useless. The fact that you have addressed this issue means I will give it a try.

2. Would like the ability to delete hands once they have been saved.

3. Would like to see pot size displayed on the table as I am entering the hand.

Nice first version. Overall, I like the way information is entered, and the info I can enter. I look forward to trying it out on my next session.
    Thanks,

-rJ
    Imperator wrote: »
    I need an Android App that is easy to use! The hardest thing I do over the felt, beside's hand reading, is simply paying attention to the game and keeping a hand history. I want to keep better hand histories!

I will try to get the video done tonight so you can see how it is in action.  I have found the scroll method of entering cards cumbersome and I think you will see how the keyboard method I created makes entering cards very fast.
    Acesalad wrote: »
    Imperator wrote: »

I will try to get the video done tonight so you can see how it is in action.  I have found the scroll method of entering cards cumbersome and I think you will see how the keyboard method I created makes entering cards very fast.

Oops. That response was meant for someone else. Here is the response I meant for you.

wish it was an easy process for me to create the Android version but with my limited programming experience it is not.  Keep you fingers crossed (and help spread the word, wink, wink) that the poker community find this version useful and it earns enough that making an Android version would be worth my time.  To give yo an idea, I spent an average of 8 hours a week (on top of a full time job and a family) for the past year to create this.
  • FilthyCasualFilthyCasual Red Chipper Posts: 871 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with your app! I understand the pains of coding for multiple devices, sometimes you just have to go with one to start out with
    tfazio wrote: »
    The problem I have with live HH programs is they are hard to use. Although I have not used this product I have purchased a few similar apps and find them difficult. If its harder than using iPhone notepad or voice recorder or even just a pencil and actual notepad I get frustrated. I would be willing to try it it see how it works. Is there a demo version I could evaluate. I would gladly write a review if I like it. Not having used it and just seeing the screen shot may I suggest you try and use the iOS scrolling feature that allows you to make card selection.

Just tweeted the link out. Hopefully we can get some interest going for you.

I ddont use iphone so can't comment directly but I am a buyer of Android version if it ever gets developed.

Good luck and well done.

cXt

Thanks ChipX! I really appreciate it. I will definitely be logging a lot of hands for everyone when we meet in AC next month so I can share them with the players.
    rabidjazz wrote: »
    Just downloaded and playing with it for a few minutes. My initial thoughts:

1. I like the large buttons for entering cards. One of the problems I have always had using my phone for recording hhs is I waste so much time correcting mistakes by pushing the wrong button that I have found them useless. The fact that you have addressed this issue means I will give it a try.

2. Would like the ability to delete hands once they have been saved.

3. Would like to see pot size displayed on the table as I am entering the hand.

Nice first version. Overall, I like the way information is entered, and the info I can enter. I look forward to trying it out on my next session.
    Thanks,

-rJ

Thanks Rabidjazz! You can delete hands from the list by swiping left on them and tapping the Delete button. I may be able to add the pot size to the display in a future update. I just want to make sure the display doesn't get too cluttered.
    Good luck with your app! I understand the pains of coding for multiple devices, sometimes you just have to go with one to start out with

Thanks FilthyC!
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,070 -
    Congrats Acesalad!

Quick Q: I checked the screenshots and it looks like there are no stack sizes shown in the raw hand history output. Is that accidental?
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
    Thanks Splitsuit. I did not include stack sizes. I felt having to enter them each time for all the players would be very time consuming which is what I was trying to avoid. There is an option to type some notes at the end, I figured stack sizes could be entered here for players relevant to the hand. I probably could add the ability to enter stack sizes only for chosen players in an update pretty easily.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,070 -
    Could it automatically include stack sizes for anyone that hero gave stack info for (and thus ignore unimportant villains)?
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
    edited April 2016
    Overall I'm a fan of this app
    Compared to what is out there. Some things I noticed. Is that there is no way to go back or undo if you make a mistake. You just have to cancel and re start the hand which Can be bothersome. Also you can't change the numbers of players in a hand.
    SplitSuit wrote: »
    Could it automatically include stack sizes for anyone that hero gave stack info for (and thus ignore unimportant villains)?

I think we are saying the same thing in different ways. I would make it, at some point, be able to tap a player and enter their starting stack. That way you would choose which players you would do this for.
    GabeyJ wrote: »
    Overall I'm a fan of this app
    Compared to what is out there. Some things I noticed. Is that there is no way to go back or undo if you make a mistake. You just have to cancel and re start the hand which Can be bothersome. Also you can't change the numbers of players in a hand.

I am glad to hear that.  You can definitely change the number of players.  After you tap Begin Hand and the poker table screen appears, the red label says Player Set Up.  At this point, tap and hold a player button to switch between Active and Out.  Active players will have a blue button, players who are out will have a red button.  You will feel a vibration when holding the button so you know it switched colors because your finger will most likely be covering it.  Also just tapping (without holding) a player button allows you to change their name.  I hear you on the undo thing.  That is something I am not even sure how I could implement at this time.  I hae found that the more I used it the better I got at entering hands without making a mistake.  The few times I did I was able to cancel and quickly re-enter the hand, you obviously don't have to change player names or number of players, etc, so you can get right into entering the details.
    Just found out I have to have eye surgery tomorrow. Just wanted to post this in case anyone has any further comments or questions so you know I am not ignoring you. It may be a few days before I can respond.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be a potential android user. I would say that the ability to edit would be crucial, and since stack sizes are critical to understanding a poker hand, that would be an important item to address.
  • tfaziotfazio Red Chipper Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    I think it would be enough to just have a field for entering effective stack size.
    BTW good luck with your peepers. ;)
  • GER4PokerGER4Poker Red Chipper Posts: 47 ✭✭
    I just purchased the above software, I will use it and review.
    Is there a procedure on the forum to contact members privately by email?
    I know I can simply give my email out, but I have never observed that done.
    Note: Acesalad once I learn how to send you my email I will contact you.
  • bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭
    Just bought the app and my first thought is that this isn't very intuitive. I'd need to watch a video to see how to use it properly.

Couple things I noticed straight away

1.) I could enter 4c on the flop, turn, and river if I wanted to. Cards should filter out.

2.) The actions aren't clear to me. I wasn't sure how to make a certain player call or raise. Seemed like I was always off by one spot.

3.) I would like if the action menu started with UTG and just worked it's way around the table with clear Fold, Call, Raise options.

4.) Definitely need to be able to edit actions. I don't want to start all over because of a misclick.

I'm sure I'm just the slow guy in the group--but when it comes to phone apps, I think users should be able to figure out how to use them without instructions--should be that intuitive where everything is just obvious.

I think this app has some potential. And with the Red Chip community as the testers, there's no doubt it will kick ass!
    GER4Poker wrote: »
    I just purchased the above software, I will use it and review.
    Is there a procedure on the forum to contact members privately by email?
    I know I can simply give my email out, but I have never observed that done.
    Note: Acesalad once I learn how to send you my email I will contact you.
    I will PM you now with my email. If you have any problems accessing your PM's on this forum let me know.

bigburge10 wrote: »
    Just bought the app and my first thought is that this isn't very intuitive. I'd need to watch a video to see how to use it properly.

Couple things I noticed straight away

1.) I could enter 4c on the flop, turn, and river if I wanted to. Cards should filter out.

2.) The actions aren't clear to me. I wasn't sure how to make a certain player call or raise. Seemed like I was always off by one spot.

3.) I would like if the action menu started with UTG and just worked it's way around the table with clear Fold, Call, Raise options.

4.) Definitely need to be able to edit actions. I don't want to start all over because of a misclick.

I'm sure I'm just the slow guy in the group--but when it comes to phone apps, I think users should be able to figure out how to use them without instructions--should be that intuitive where everything is just obvious.

I think this app has some potential. And with the Red Chip community as the testers, there's no doubt it will kick ass!

Hello bigburge10. Thank you for purchasing the app. Right off I have to tell you, there will not be any updates to this app. I am not a programmer. I aoght myself how top program for iOS to create this app and it was a lengthly and difficlt task. It took me over a year and the thing is, they keep updating the programming software and I just don't have the time to keep up with it to know how to conitue using it. That being said I think it is still a useful app, I have logged hundreds of hands using it. I do not have a video but would be happy to Skype with you to answer any questions and make sure you can get the most out of it. Let me know any way I can be of help.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file