Set Mining

Morgan_BMorgan_B Red Chipper Posts: 262 ✭✭
edited February 2017 in General Concepts
I guess the general rule of thumb for set mining is that you need to be able to win 20X the amount to call. Does this only apply when calling open raises?

I'm thinking of 3-bet pots and calling when your opponents stack is only something like 10X or 12X the amount to call. If you put your opponent on a big pair JJ+ it should be pretty easy to stack them when you hit.
Tagged:

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,999 -
    Morgan_B wrote:
    I guess the general rule of thumb for set mining is that you need to be able to win 20X the amount to call. Does this only apply when calling open raises?

I'm thinking of 3-bet pots and calling when your opponents stack is only something like 10X or 12X the amount to call. If you put your opponent on a big pair JJ+ it should be pretty easy to stack them when you hit.

20x+ is my standard. 3bet pots can be different, but it depends on your certainty of their range.

For instance, I'll take a 10x call against KK+

But against JJ+/AK I usually want a bit larger. This is simply for the times the board doesn't cooperate. Assume you have 44 for a moment. If they have AK, you need the board to specifically have an Ace OR King...AND your 4. Plus you need that board to not go to hell (putting up a 4 straight, scary flush, etc.) Also think about the times they have JJ and the flop comes AT4 or KQ4. A larger multiplier builds in the times you catch your set and don't get paid off.

Against wider 3bet ranges we usually can't setmine profitably (barring reads of course)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file