1 night 2 losing sessions

mbehr1983mbehr1983 Red Chipper Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
I don't know where to begin. It was that kind of night. I am sure I didn't play my a game. My plan was to buy in short and play short stack strategy and then I found myself playing and losing hands I shouldn't be playing. I lost 2.5 buyins in less than an hour. 2 of the 3 were sets V's one pair and I also kept paying them off. 2nd session was card dead and tried several check raises while way behind. This hurt the win rate for the month and the BR need to fix these mistakes. I am owning it but did not take down many hands due to lack of focus.

Comments

• Jimmy3150Jimmy3150 Red Chipper Posts: 362 ✭✭
    Card dead...boredom tilt...when I did have a hand I got outdrawn by the river...tell me about it, had same thing last night. Had a session making a profit of +300BB followed by this one where I lost -150BB. I think the losing session would have only been -50BB had I not got involved in bad spots, out of position with a marginal holding. I haven't found a good way to deal with being card dead which leads to tilt, next time I'll just get up and leave I think...or at least take a very long break.
  • ChipXtractorChipXtractor Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭✭
    here is the thing about being card dead guys and getting bored...It is an illusion. The truth is that there are a ton of things going on at the table that you can be focusing on, that are at least as important, and maybe more so, than the cards you are playing.

Spend some time NOW away from the tables thinking about what you can focus on after you fold your hand and before you play your next hand. Make a list NOW on a piece of paper of all the things you could be doing at the tables to help your game while in a period being card dead.

There is really not a reason to be bored at a poker table. There is always something interesting going on. There is always something to learn and think about. You just need identify what those things are and then focus. GL.

cXt
    Twitter = @ChipXtractor
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,646 -
    Card dead is in the review mirror. It is not a prediction. The cards have no memory.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next time you're bored at the table consider taking everything you have in front of you and putting it on 00 at roulette. That's exciting! Once you let that stupid idea go, you'll be happy to go back to the grind.

Also, short stacking is by nature more boring than playing full stacks because your range is more static and your decision possibilities constricted. If you didn't do it right, maybe it's not for you. Tilt most often derives from playing badly, not the reverse, because you know, even if you can't admit it in the moment, that you've let yourself down.
  • Jimmy3150Jimmy3150 Red Chipper Posts: 362 ✭✭
    persuadeo wrote: »

Tilt most often derives from playing badly, not the reverse, because you know, even if you can't admit it in the moment, that you've let yourself down.

Very true.
  • mbehr1983mbehr1983 Red Chipper Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    First session was not card dead at all. I was getting cards in my ranges and making mistakes like paying them off and such felt like every time I had a hand someone had a bigger hand. Then I was trying to force and incorporate aggression at the wrong time against fish. I know if in my head fish can't fold so that cost me as I was betting when they were calling my bets. I am gonna play tonight and execute the plan. I should of never went to the second game because my mind wasn't right after losing 2bi in first game that is usually my stop loss for the night
  • mbehr1983mbehr1983 Red Chipper Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    This game everyone short stacks and I played it well Monday just didn't execute it last night. The reason I went on tilt I guess
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll also tilt less if you stop referring to everyone as fish. That's entitlement right there. No one playing in a short stacked low limit game is Phil Ivey, I'm afraid. You're only as good as your last performance, winrate convos are trash, and we all suck fairly often.
  • SaintsTigersSaintsTigers Red Chipper Posts: 238 ✭✭
    It's definitely hard to play your A game all the time. Working on your mental game would improve your results in the long run, imo.
  • ImperatorImperator Red Chipper Posts: 895 ✭✭✭
    here is the thing about being card dead guys and getting bored...It is an illusion. The truth is that there are a ton of things going on at the table that you can be focusing on, that are at least as important, and maybe more so, than the cards you are playing.

Spend some time NOW away from the tables thinking about what you can focus on after you fold your hand and before you play your next hand. Make a list NOW on a piece of paper of all the things you could be doing at the tables to help your game while in a period being card dead.

There is really not a reason to be bored at a poker table. There is always something interesting going on. There is always something to learn and think about. You just need identify what those things are and then focus. GL.

cXt

I'm putting this into my quote book. It is true. But it is one of those truths that I have to say "Yes" to every time I play. There is always something to think about, someone to observe, something to calculate. Just don't get tired!

• Ruxton_AtheistRuxton_Atheist Red Chipper Posts: 152 ✭✭✭
    Doug Hull wrote: »
    Card dead is in the review mirror. It is not a prediction. The cards have no memory.

Corollary: "I can't believe he has fucking aces again!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file