AQo from BB

JinplydbstJinplydbst Red Chipper Posts: 53
edited November 2014 in Live Poker Hands
1-2 Live.

Just sat down on the table and 4th or 5th hand and first hand to play.

2 Limpers to BB and BB(Hero)makes it $12 with :Ac :Qh
UTG folds and MP limper calls. Heads UP, $230 effective stack.
Villain covers hero.

Flop($24): :Qs :7d :8h
Hero Checks. Villain Checks.
Turn($24): :9s
Hero bets $20. Villain RR to $50.
Hero Calls.
River($120): : :Kh
Hero Checks, Villain bet $120.
Hero Calls.
Villain has : :5d :6d

I didn't C-bet, because it was my first hand to play and wanted to see what he does when checked to.
Turn, I had to call with TPTK.
River, even though villains limp call range fits the board, I put him on busted straight draw with a pair, and called....
River big bet usually means he has it, but it was too much, pot size and didn't put him and bottom straight..

Comments

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to bet the draw heavy flop vs. an unknown. Checking to trap will work better on a more static board, and when you know your opponent better. Here, in a low information scenario, straightforward play will make your hand easier to manage.

As played, watch out for small raises from many, mostly weaker players. They raise small and min raise a lot because they have no balance and have trouble otherwise extracting; this is the same psychology that yields min raises pre with AA, etc. The weak raise turn, bomb river line works for them because they feel confident they have you suckered in, not because it's an elaborate level with a missed draw.
  • Ed MillerEd Miller RCP Coach Posts: 330
    There are lots of situations to check the flop after raising preflop from OOP. This is not one of them. You have a very strong hand, and it's a board texture that rewards the out of position player. I would bet this flop for sure.

Given that you checked and it checked through, you definitely were right to bet the turn, and prob right to call the turn raise (I say prob, because some players literally won't raise the turn without having you beat).

The river, however, is a BREAD AND BUTTER FOLD at this level. You HAVE to fold this hand. You have a bluff-catcher, and your opponents will not be bluffing often enough to justify calling with bluff-catchers. This is an automatic fold on the river. I'm coming out with a new video series soon, and the third video addresses this type of fold specifically. I can't emphasize how important it is to start folding to river bets like these.
  • the_tpupthe_tpup Red Chipper Posts: 75 ✭✭
    I'm actually very interested to see this video Ed speaks of, I can honestly say I probably would have also made this call - but that could be due to the player skill level , but that brings up another point "if the skill level is so bad where i play , then them holding Kx could be realistic" - i'll be watching
    Ed Miller wrote:
    The river, however, is a BREAD AND BUTTER FOLD at this level. You HAVE to fold this hand. You have a bluff-catcher, and your opponents will not be bluffing often enough to justify calling with bluff-catchers. This is an automatic fold on the river. I'm coming out with a new video series soon, and the third video addresses this type of fold specifically. I can't emphasize how important it is to start folding to river bets like these.
  • tagliustaglius Red Chipper Posts: 290 ✭✭
    As usual, I can't add much to what Ed said, but I did notice one thing...

You said you put him on "a busted straight draw with a pair" on the river, so you called. He might have that hand, sure. But that's not how you make a decision. You need to try and come up with all the types of hands he can have, and then match up those hands to how often you're ahead/behind and if you're being offered the correct odds to call.

You have to be able to do better than putting villain on a specific hand or type of hand.
  • Ed MillerEd Miller RCP Coach Posts: 330
    the_tpup,

What do you think he has that makes you want to call? Which specific hands? Remember that he raised the turn and then potted the river.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file