Hand 8: XX on AT7

NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭
I thought I had seen this hand posted somewhere already but I couldn't find it so here is my hand analysis. If someone can find it, please link me and I'll get this thread moved.

Open from SB: 88+, AJo+, ATs+, JTs+, A4s and A5s. This is a 10% open for a total of 130 combos. When the BB 3-bets, I would 4-bet TT+, AJs+, JTs, KQs, and AKo. I think that a dynamic exists here that the solid LAG could recognize my attempt to isolate the bad player and therefore may be 3-betting light. Once he calls the 4-bet, I decide to proceed with the above hands that could flop well and have some showdown value. Taking 62 combos to the flop at 5%.

FLOP: :Ah :Td :7c

Down to 49 combos on the flop. I think check/calling here is fine out of position. I think it gives a little deception to our hands that connected and keeps us from getting blown off of some hands that we could lead with and get raised. I would sometimes check raise here with Ax and air as I think that I could force folds from second pairs and some weaker aces. As played I'm check/calling AQs, AK, KK, sets, and :Ad :Jd and :Ac :Jc for BDFD. This is 30 out of 49 combos for 61%.

TURN: :9d

I think checking here again is fine. Villain has not shown any signs of slowing down and in situations where he has the second-best hand I certainly want to continue to encourage his betting. Once he bets the turn, I would only proceed with sets, AKo, AQs+ and :Ad :Jd. This would mean that I continue with 22 out of 30 combos for a 73% frequency.

Comments

• benlong10benlong10 Red Chipper Posts: 11 ✭✭
    @Ninjah ...My PF analysis of what's going is different than yours. That absolutely gives me a different line. Tell me what you think.

If I'm going to raise against a two limpers and a weak spewy player, then I'm assuming we are going to go multi-way often, as most people want to get involved with this guy. Therefore, I want to lean towards premium hands, suited connectors above 78s, and suited cards in general, which play well multi-way. I really really don't want KJo and A10o in my range in early position here. AJo is pushing it, but i'll include it. I want to flop big hands to take down big pots against this spewy stewie, but I want hands I can easily check/fold if I don't hit in early position. What I really don't want is an A high flop with A10o that gets me in trouble out of position with very little way to make money long term.

My range is 88+, A9s+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, T9s, 98s, AJo+, KQo. I included A10s and broadway suited connectors with the intention of play combo draws aggressively multi-way.

Once the Solid LAG raises to my left, everything changes. He's now isolating me out of position while almost guaranteeing the donkey folds behind. WHY???? One reason is that I'm assuming I've established my usual strong image, so if he's isolating me he's probably got a pretty tight range somewhere in the TT+, AJ+. He's likely protecting a premium hand from being in a multi-way pot against a spewy stewie. I find it very unlikely he wants to isolate me, even as a LAG, with anything he isn't pretty sure is beating me. As such I don't think I have much fold equity, so I hate the 4 bet here. I never 4 bet in this spot. Like NEVER!!!! Because I can only 4bet with the tip top of my range, KK+ AK+, and that isn't profitable. By being so obvious it makes his good folds easy and his better hands easy to put all his money in. As such, a 4bet is obvious, easy to play against, and the worst move. We might as well light money on fire. Moreover, 4 betting with QQ and below is a terrible move, as all better hands call and all worse hands fold, which also make it a bad 4-bet. Contrarily, a smooth call with everything all the way down to TT is a much more sneaky and unpredictable play and gives us a ton of flop options.

As such, here's my really nitty 4 bet range. KK+, AQs+, AKo, which 22% of our previous range and 24 combos. I would smooth call 100% of the time in reality with a range like TT+, AQs+, KQs, AQo+, and maybe even throw in 99, 88, which either hit or don't hit and we have deep stacks to give us implied odds of 17:1 on our $60 smooth call. That's set mining gold right there in a hand we can assume our opponent has a big hand to pay us off a large percentage of the time.

FLOP Ah-Td-7c
    I'm checking 50% of my range here and smooth calling afterwards. I'm not folding anything. I'm doing this for balance. I could easily bet here too. I would bet $400 if I did bet, which essentially pot commits me to put it all in on the turn. To accomplish this in my poker software I just clicked out half of the combos on my previous range. By checking here I either have top pair and can pot control this way and induce bets by my opponent with QQ and KK and JJ, or I have a set of Aces and can trap him, or I have second pair with KK and I need to see his action for more information. With my PF analysis I never have air here with an A on the flop. My worst semi-bluff hand was AQs and now it's a strong hand I'm not folding.

Range = AcAs, AdAs, AdAh, KcKs, KdKs, KdKh, AQs, AsKs, AcKc, AhKs, AcKs, AcKh, AdKs, AdKh, AdKc 50% of previous range, 12 combos.

When he bets $200 it looks really weak, it's polarizing, meaning his range is either really really strong, like set of AA's or TT's, or its really pretty weak like JJ,QQ,KK,AJ. There is no flush draw out there, so he's not betting with draws at all, even QJ and KJ and KQ, which I don't think he had in his PF range anyway, after he calls a 4-bet. Therefore I'm either way ahead or way behind, making it a bad place to raise but a great place to call with the pot odds large. I'm beating enough of his range to call, particularly if I have an A blocker. So I'm check calling here 100% of the time with my above range and 12 combos, even KK. I don't even have QQ here, as I wouldn't 4-bet PF with it.

TURN 9d

I would check 100% of my range here after check calling the flop. I simply would never get a better hand to fold, but I can induce worse hands to bet. A bet makes no sense as it only scares away hands I have beat. I also can pick up a lot information based on whether my opponent checks behind or c-bets. He doesn't check sets here most of the time, so I can eliminate that from his range if he checks and feel better about AK, KK, QQ, JJ, AQ. I'm less comfortable with a c-bet but am still calling with most of my range and check-raising with sets to get all the money in at this point. The pot is big enough that he has to call with a lot of weaker than a set type hands.
    Range is same as above, 100%, 12 combos.

After he bets $400, how do I fold any of my hands here? The pot is over 1300 and I'm getting 3.25 to 1 to call. That means all I have to beat is 1/3 of his range here. I'm probably beating JJ, QQ, KK in most situations, and even AQ in a lot of situations, so the only hand I fold here is JJ, and maybe QQ, which I eliminated PF when I 4-bet. His range is something like TT+, AQs+, KQs, AQo+, and I'm getting 20% against his range with JJ, QQ. Once I have KK in my hand I'm getting enough against his range to call (32%), particularly after his weak flop/turn bets weight him towards the weaker end of his range.
    MY FOLDING RANGE IS 0%. I fold nothing here with these odds. If I'm beat, than I'm beat. I'm beating enough hands to put it in here with my entire range. I can call and then check the river and if he puts me all-in, then I auto call.

What do you think?
  • benlong10benlong10 Red Chipper Posts: 11 ✭✭
    @SplitSuit I would love your take on my opinion above about 4 betting. I think it's the dullest tool in our Preflop toolbox. I think 4betting is rarely useful in 200bb or less games, but particularly in this spot. In general, 4betting generates folds from hands that can pay us otherwise when we have big hands, and it is very difficult to put 4bet money in with weaker hands to generate balance and profit. I find it makes us play predictably and face up. In addition, if we have an edge in the game why not take that edge to the flop where it will be more pronounced.
  • OutlierOutlier Red Chipper Posts: 158 ✭✭
    PREFLOP RAISE: 19%, 246 combos
    66+, 65s+, J9s+, A2s+, ATo+, KTo+
    4-bet preflop: 35% of opening range, 84 combos
    KK+, AKs+, A2s-A5s, ATo, AJo, KJs, QJs, KTs, J9s, 98s, 87s
    Call with AKo, QQ, TT

FLOP: :Ah :Td :7c

FLOP Check Range: 75%, 50 combos
    AA, KK, AKs, AJo, ATo, A2-A5s, JTs, 87s, 98s
    Top pair--check; KK--check; Air--bet KQs, J9s, KJs, QJs
    FLOP Check-Call Range: 84%, 42 combos
    AA, KK, JTs, 98s, 87s, AJo, AKo, A2-A5 (cc and dd); (check raise ATo)

TURN: :9d

TURN Check Range: 93%, 39 combos (lead AA sets)
    KK, JTs, 98s, 87s, AJo, AKo, A2-A5 (cc and dd)
    TURN Continuing Range: 61%, 30 combos
    A2dd-A5dd, AKs, AJo, 98s, 87s
    @Ninjah @benlong10 What do you all thinking about leading the turn with sets? I would think that a good LAG will have some middle suited cards like J9s,T8s, T9s with which he could get to the flop. The :9D: on the turn hits this part of his range and I want to get value from it on the turn.
  • NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭
    @Outlier I think that is certainly a reasonable play. As you stated, Villain could frequently pick up some equity on the turn and leading into him could get us extra value as well as prevent him from checking back to get a free card. In some cases, the lead could induce a raise from Villain with a two pair or combo draw type of hand which would be great for our sets.
    I know this isn't really part of the exercise, but does anyone else have issues with the 4-bet sizing? I should preface this by saying that my 4-bet range has bluffs in only about 3 times a year...

I can't think of 4-betting anything to $250 here except for monsters (AA, KK). This small sizing gives a villain a great price to call with position with many medium strength hands (KJs, QJs, etc). If we 4-bet to $350-400, we do several positive things:
    1) Deny villain good immediate odds
    2) Give our bluffs a better chance of getting through
    3) Take away villain's post-flop perceived maneuverability by making it look like we are playing for stacks (SPR will be <1)
    4) Save a bit of $ vs 4-bet to $250 + $200 flop bet
  • BadFrog1BadFrog1 Red Chipper Posts: 136 ✭✭
    In contrast to every other hand so far, I'm actually a lot looser here than everybody else who's posted so far.

Preflop, I'm opening about 35% assuming the nit will fold and we'll get heads up with the fish a majority of the time. I'm doing this knowing that BB will 3bet often, so I'm prepared to call and 4bet a lot.

When BB does 3bet, the sizing is quite small. We're getting over 2:1 on a call here. I'm going to raise JJ+, AJs, AKo for value and KJo, ATo, T9s, 98s, A2s-A5s as bluffs. That's a 1:1 bluff ratio and a total 4bet of 20% of our opening range. I'm calling all my other pocket pairs since we're easily getting correct odds to set mine. I'm also calling AJo, AQo, KQo, and all my suited broadways. This gives me a 25% calling range and 55% fold to 3bet.

• NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭
    Outlier wrote: »
    I know this isn't really part of the exercise, but does anyone else have issues with the 4-bet sizing? I should preface this by saying that my 4-bet range has bluffs in only about 3 times a year...

I can't think of 4-betting anything to $250 here except for monsters (AA, KK). This small sizing gives a villain a great price to call with position with many medium strength hands (KJs, QJs, etc). If we 4-bet to $350-400, we do several positive things:
    1) Deny villain good immediate odds
    2) Give our bluffs a better chance of getting through
    3) Take away villain's post-flop perceived maneuverability by making it look like we are playing for stacks (SPR will be <1)
    4) Save a bit of $ vs 4-bet to $250 + $200 flop bet

3x the previous raise size would be standard for 3-betting and 4-betting but if you recognize that you're up against a weaker player, you could use different raise sizes to have an impact on whether or not you want him to call you (which could be exploitable against stronger players so keep that in mind). Against a weaker player, a smaller reraise would entice him to call and a larger than normal reraise would discourage a call and you could use that based upon what you wanted him to do.
  • Mr2u53Mr2u53 Red Chipper Posts: 64 ✭✭
    Hand 8
    The action in front of me was 2 limps. So I can squeeze to steal, I could Raise for isolation against the terrible MP2, or I can complete.
    The action left to act is a Solid Lag in the BB. He could have nothing and fold to my raise, He could Re-Raise trying to get isolation on MP2 or he could call my raise.
    I have 215 BB’s
    The range I would raise to 40 is:
    PP 88+ 42 Combos 53.84%
    Suited: AJ+ 12 Combos 15.38%
    Unsuited: AQo 24 Combos 30.76%
    Total Combos: 78
    % Form: 5.88%
    That’s a super tight range because of the solid LAG to my left. I am really working on trying to only risk in position.
    Would I raise or complete with:
    Small Pocket Pairs below 88: Fold
    KJ: Fold
    AT: Fold
    Suited Connectors: Fold
    As I expected the Solid LAG in the BB 4Bet me. I prepared for this in my 1st decision to put money into this pot. I am Fairley confident I can play back at him with my entire range here.
    PP 88+ 42 Combos 53.84%
    Suited: AJ+ 12 Combos 15.38%
    Unsuited: AQo 24 Combos 30.76%
    Total Combos: 78
    % Form: 5.88%
    Would I call or 4Bet with:
    AK: 4Bet
    QQ: 4Bet
    TT: 4Bet
    Flop
    :Ah :Td :7c
    Ok so thinking this out QQ+ AK should be out of his range because he did not 5Bet me. Set of Tens and Sevens is possible in his range. That is 6 Combos possible. Other possible holdings are Two Pair Straight Draws and Top Pair weak kicker and possible mid pairs like KT QT JT or Bottom pair 67 87.
    My hand range here hit pretty good:
    Sets: AA TT 6 Combos 9.52%
    TopPair: AJs+ 12 Combos 19.04% AQo+ 24 Combos 38.09%
    PP Below Top Pair: JJ- KK 88- 99 30 Combos
    Total Combos: 63
    % Form: 100%
    Plugging in my range vs Villain’s range into Equilab I am ahead so a check on this flop is strictly to induce a bet. However, I am currently in the mindset that a check here allows the Solid LAG to bet his 34o and I am left to wonder where I am at so the “Away from the table” action says I have enough of his range beat that a check here is safe. So in deciding the line I would take I have to ask myself what would I do with top Set here? Check to induce a bet would be a good line. But a check- check flop with a turn that completes Broadway would be bad. Betting my top set on the flop here would get the misses out of Villain’s range define his range to draws or worse sticky hands like top pair or lower sets. The pot is $510 right now so a bet out with my entire range makes since to me here to take the pot down now. If I get a call the pot grows and I should have a clearer picture of his range.
    What do you guys think?

Would I check or bet with:
    Top Pair: Bet
    KK: Bet
    Air: I don’t have air in this hand but I would play it the same.

The workbook has me check and the BB bets 40% pot $200 and asks if I would Check Raise or Call. Assuming my check was to induce the bet I got what I wanted and am left with the choice of continuing to feed the rope out by calling the bet or snapping him off right here. Just a call here would leave me with $625 and the pot would be $910 so a call would leave me with less than a pot size bet on the turn or river. What would Villain bet here with? I am sure the villain being a Solid player and the way the action went preflop would be aware my check on this flop could be the nuts so is he strong or is he aggressive? My smooth calling his bet screams strength I think, so that would be a nice line to take.
    Would I call or Check Raise with:
    Top Pair: Call
    Second Pair: Call
    Sets: Call
    Turn
    :9d
    So I picked up another set with 99, my JJ and 88 turned into an open-ended straight draws and 3 of my top pair hands turned into nut flush draws.
    Sets: AA TT 99 9 Combos 15%
    TopPair: AJs+ 12 Combos 19.04% AQo+ 24 Combos 38.09%
    PP Below Top Pair: JJ- KK 88 24 Combos 40%
    Flush Draw: AJs+ 3 Combos 5%
    OESD: JJ 88 12 Combos 20%
    Total Combos: 60
    % Form: 100%
    The hands that the BB Solid LAG could have are sets, two pairs, possible straights, and top pair. If I check to him will they bet or check? What hands would they bet with? If I check and they check what is that telling me? I would think a check back would be a give up or hit a straight and they are now giving me rope to hang myself on the river. Being that I am out of position and my range still has an advantage over them I would probably like to check and see if I can get him to get the chips in.
    Would I Check or bet with:
    Top Pair: Check
    Second Pair: Check
    Sets: Check
    Now I am real confused Check Fold. Sure if I was in this had very loose I would consider the check fold however, I thought long and hard for the first action I think Equilab confirms my range here is ahead so I am sure at this point I am check raising all in.

So I ask you guys to read through and see if you can give me clue as to what I missed here.

Let me also add this I know I am on the NIT side of the world. I would love to get to the other side where the money lives but I have to face facts as of today if I can’t read hands and figure out where I am currently then playing on the other side would be bankroll suicide.
  • Briax24Briax24 Red Chipper Posts: 44 ✭✭
    HAND #8
    PRE-FLOP: Range: AA-77,AKo-ATo,KQo,AKs-ATs,KQs
    (Percent of form: 9.65%) (Combos:128)

I am raising most of my Ace-High broadway and KQ. I typically complete with the rest of my broadway holdings in this spot. I also complete with all my suited connectors.

Note: This range seems weird; I came up with it a long time ago when I discovered that I could plug some leaks by tightening up in the blinds. I think playing tight in the blinds is typically correct but I may have created some new range problems by not having good board coverage.

PRE-FLOP 3-BET: Range: AA-JJ,AKo,AKs,ATs
    (% of previous range: 34.3%) (Combos: 44)

AK: I 4-bet with AK

QQ: against this Villain I 4-bet QQ

TT- fold

Note: This may be too tight I included ATs so I would have some bluffs. This is a function of it being one of the worst hands in my pre-flop raising range.

FLOP: Range: KK-QQ
    (% of previous range: 34.3%) (Combos: 12)

Bet or Check with:

Top Pair: I’m bet getting it in here I think.

KK: probably check this hand, this makes me think I should check some AA and a few combos of AK so I don’t just check fold here all the time.

Air: I don’t have any, which could be bad.

Note: When I check the flop with nothing solid I am going to be easy to bluff in this spot. Hand # 8 is a real eye opener for me about this. I feel I need to raise pre and four bet a few more combos to get the type of range I am looking for here. I also have to check some strong hands on the flop to this type of player so I don’t check fold 100%.
    As it stands I just wind up mucking KK and QQ or calling once maybe and folding River. I am going to proceed as if I checked my suited AK and AA as well as KK and QQ from here so I can finish the exercise.

New Range: AA-QQ,AKs (% of previous range: 51.4%) (Combos: 18)

Do I check raise or Check call with:

Top Pair: Call, it’s hard to have many bluffs of my own here so check raising will be only for value.

Second Pair: I think I have to call a street here with KK or QQ because the price is so good and I have under repped my hand possibly inducing some bluffs

Sets: I want to call here for the same reason as calling with top pair.

:9d

TURN: Range: AA-QQ,AKs
    (% of previous range 100%) (Combos: 18)

I plan to check call or check jam all my value. Probably shoving a bunch of rivers if he checks back. So I decided to check again with 100% of my range.
    After Villain bets 400 I think I just put the $ in with AA and AK, folding KK and QQ.

So that is Range: AA,AKs (Percent of previous range 33%) (Combos: 6)

Note: This is a bad turn scenario if Villain has any bluffs. I am folding 66% which seems sub optimal.This was a tough one for me I feel like I’m a mess in this spot lol.
  • Briax24Briax24 Red Chipper Posts: 44 ✭✭
    @Mr2u53 I think checking the flop with some strong hands helps us when we are 4-bet bluffing with hands that now make top pair. The issue for me is I don't have any of those hands in my pre-flop raising range. If I add some of them in then sometimes I will have weak top pair to go with my KK QQ on this board. I'm not sure I want to play for stacks with these hands therefore I'm likely checking flop. In order not to be exploited by this bluffy opponent I have to have some strong hands in my checking range as well like AA and some AK. Things I'm willing to felt. I think that's the biggest argument for not continuing. Let me know what you think.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I think the most difficult part of this exercise is the check-call on the flop.
    I mean we have 4-bet, our range is pretty strong: we are going to be isolated against a solid LAG OOP (my range is TT+, AQ+, ATs+ and JTs , i.e. value hands plus good broadways with equity as semi-bluff against a LAG who could 3bet too large).

Hence a check-call on the flop weaken our range really badly. Why not lead with our top pairs (LAG doesn't have AK, maybe not even AQ), double pairs or set? If we check, why not check-raise, considering our range and the SPR / expected SPR on the turn? The bet (200$ in 510$) could show either a cheap bluff or a monster who want to be called (and stack us on the turn).

I've the impression that Hand #8 is a Fish line :)
  • mbehr1983mbehr1983 Red Chipper Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    here is 8 didn't wanna retype
  • NuttedNutterNuttedNutter Red Chipper Posts: 44
    HAND#8

So with this dynamic I'm gonna go with raising 77+, AJo+, A9s-AKs, JTs-KQs, KJs, KTs, K9s, QTs

Completing - 22-66, 54s-T9s, 97s-T8s, J9s-K9s, A2s-A8s, ATo, KQo, KJo, QJo, JTo-KTo

RANGE: AA-22,AKo-ATo,KQo-KTo,QJo-QTo,JTo,AKs-A2s,KQs-K9s,QJs-Q9s,JTs-J9s,T9s-T8s,98s-97s,87s,76s,65s,54s

%FORM: 23.7%
    COMBOS#: 314

AK? I'd 4bet AK...reason...
    We're oop against solid lag who covers in the BB and is likely 3betting a wide range knowing MP2 terrible and CO nit are weak because they limped in late. Seems like he wants to play a big pot. We're either make him fold to 4bet or see a flop. We're going to smash or whiff the flop, if it falls at least T high or paint we may be able to rep at least with some equity still with a gutshot or even just Ace high against his range. We still have an average equity of 60% percent but against a reasonably solid lag BB range it could be a mix of value and bluffs so I'm thinking this could be like a 60/40 type spot and it's best to 4bet?

QQ? Hmm I might call 3bet 50% of the time and 4bet the other. My argument for calling 3bet is well let's say he's got a range of say:

AA-22,AKo-ATo,KQo-KTo,QJo-QTo,JTo,AKs-A2s,KQs-K9s,QJs-Q9s,JTs-J9s,T9s-T8s,98s-97s,87s-86s,76s

22%, 271 combos

We have an average equity of 70ish% so unless the flop comes Ace or King high I suppose there shouldn't be that many flops we should be afraid of and could take advantage of a propensity to bluff when checked to OR could just play solid value and 4bet and play it str8forward but then what do we accomplish by 4betting? Getting as good or better to call? Like maybe he traps AA-KK 50% of the time himself being a solid lag or he comes over the top and 5bet jams and we're ?? So maybe instead I'd 4bet 30% of the time and call 70%. Intentions are to exploit by ch-calling bluffs at least give him an opportunity on flop.

TT? Similiar scenario as QQ our average equity drops to about 62.5% vs the same vill range. I'd 4bet 40% of the time and call 3bet 60%.

RANGE: 4betting AA-TT,AKo-AQo,AKs-AQs
    Calling 3bet JJ-66,AQo-ATo,KQo-KJo,QJo,AQs-ATs,KQs-KJs,QJs,JTs,T9s,98s

%OF PREVIOUS RANGE: 13.4%
    COMBOS#: 178

TP? More likely to check. I want to give BB solid LAG the opportunity to bluff the flop with gutshots 86s, J9s, KQo/s, KJo/s, QJo/s,and middle pairs T8s, T9s, JTo/s-KTo/s.

KK? Would check with intention of ch-calling. Allow him opportunity to bluff or if we are behind let's see what develops on turn.

Air? Against a solid lag I don't want to be bluffing him oop I'd want to go for value in this spot.

RANGE: AA-TT,77,AKo-ATo,AKs-ATs,98s
    % OF PREVIOUS RANGE: 51.4%
    COMBOS#: 76

C-R or C-C...

TP? C-C TP, not much value in C-R as that would get better to call and for worse to fold. I want worse to continue betting.

2nd Pair? C-C as well he's capable of betting a T, our JJ-KK beat those and tie with some of his own 2nd pair. He could bluff his gutshots, 99-88, 66-22, 97s, 87s, 76s

Sets? Normally in many spots I'd fast play sets, however in this spot against solid lag, well if he has a value hand like AJ-AK he's betting and if he's bluffing he's betting as well so I'd play it like TP and allow worse to bet.

% OF PREVIOUS RANGE: 51.4%
    COMBOS#: 76

Given line ch or lead...

TP? I'd lead. I still have at least 53% equity and still in good shape with AK and AQ vs his weaker suited Aces, AJ picked up a bit more equity at 55% since we picked up a gutshot. His JJ just picked equity as well for his range since it also gives him a gutshot as well as his AJ and A6s, 98s and A8s give a few oesd's and he just picked up a few flushdraws with his Axs of diamonds.

2nd Pair? I'd probably check he has more TP with diamond flushdraws combined that are just going to continue, makes up more of his range than bluffs like his gutshots at this point.

Sets? Bet. He will continue with enough of his range mainly TP, flushdraws, str8draws at this point so we can extract value.

%OF PREVIOUS RANGE: 100%
    COMBOS#: 75

Continue or fold?

TP? I'd continue with AK as I still have 63% equity and might fold AQ and probably fold AJ

2nd Pair? Fold we have a measly 19% vs his range at this point with a hand like KK.

Pair+draw? 98s gives me only 24% equity and I'm not getting a good enough price to call.

RANGE: AA,TT,77,AKo-ATo,AKs-ATs
    %OF PREVIOUS RANGE: 12.8%
    COMBOS#:54

• AcesaladAcesalad Red Chipper Posts: 240 ✭✭
    After two limpers, what is your raising range from the small blind?
    Are you raising or just completing with small pocket pairs? Raising
    What about hands like KJ and AT? Suited only
    What about suited connectors as strong as JTs? Raising
    Raising a fairly strong but still a bit wide range here hoping to isolate the terrible player.
    %-Form: 14.0% # Combos: 186
    Range:
    AA-22,AKo-AQo,AKs-A2s,KQs-KTs,QJs-QTs,JTs,T9s,98s,87s
    The BB 3bets to $100, MP2 and CO fold, you 4bet to $250.
    When building this range consider the hands you would call the 3bet with vs 4bet. Would you call or 4bet:
    AK? 4Bet
    QQ? 4Bet
    TT? Fold
    %-of Previous Range: 21.5% # Combos: 40
    Range:
    AA-QQ,55,AKo,Aks
    The BB calls your 4bet. There are 2 players to a $510 flop
    Flop:
    :AH: :TD: :7C:
    You Check
    Given the hands you would 4bet preflop, are you more likely to check or bet this flop with:
    Top Pair? Bet
    KK? Check
    Air? Check
    You check, BB bets $200, and you call.
    I can't continue this hand. The guys I play with don't play 4bet pots without really strong hands. I have a very tight range here and I am not check calling out of position with this much money on the table.
  • Russ IRuss I Red Chipper Posts: 79 ✭✭
    My preflop range is AA-22,AKo-AQo,KQo,AKs-A9s,KQs,QJs

I'm raising with my hands here. I don't want to just complete the blind and invite the BB to check, and since the NIT just called I'm expecting to get a fold to a RFI bet quite often. I'm looking to isolate the MP2. 10.7%, 142 combos.

Whoops. The BB 3bets. I'm normally only playing QQ+, AK here. If I have a good read on him that he's a LAG, I may call with TT+, Axs. While many people want to 4b with AK here, I still think it's just a drawing hand and I'm not willing to call off my stack with it. So I'll just call. QQ I'm probably shoving into a LAG. TT is a call. We are down to 3.47% and just 46 combos.

Flop: :Ah: :Td: :7c:

I'm betting with my TPTK, and I'm betting KK to see if I get re-raised. I will bet AA 1/2 the time, check AA 1/2 the time on this board. I'm assuming "air" is JJ QQ, and I'll check them.

BB bets $200 into $510 flop. I'm calling with TP. I don't have second pair in my range, if I did, I would fold it no doubt. My sets, I'm raising with the hope to get it all in. For that price I'm calling with my KK.

AA-KK,TT,AKo,AKs

Turn: :9d:

I'm checking my TPTK here, and second pair, if I had it in my range. I'm betting my A and T sets sometimes, checking it hoping to check raise other times, depending on my read of opponent.

BB bets $400 into $910 and I fold.
    So much of this is my read of the opponent. I'm havign trouble seeing 2P here since the BB 3B with 4 people still in the hand at the time. I don't see a straight here. So I could see the opponent top set, second set, and a nut high flush draw.

Continue with TPTK? Depends on read. Most likely folding assuming he's got a set. If I don't believe him, I'm shoving.

Second pair? Fold
    Pair + draw? I'm calling AKdd I think.
  • Mark FlemingMark Fleming Red Chipper Posts: 76 ✭✭
    Hand #8

Preflop: I’m deep stacked in the SB raising to $40 after two limps, with a solid LAG behind me. This is eight BB and 4% of my stack. I’m raising with a 30% range having 398 combinations with the intent of ending the hand now by pushing everyone off their hand.
    I’m raising with all pocket pairs
    I’m raising with suited connectors starting at 54s, and including the adjacent one and two gap connectors such as 64s. This is the widest starting range since beginning these exercises and reflects what I think I’m learning which is more aggression/speculation.
    The Solid LAG in the BB 3B to $100 and I four bet to $250 which is 23% of my stack. I’m beginning to think I have gone nuts with a bluff or I have a strong pair, or AK. The betting runs the limpers off their hands.
    I would 4B AK
    I would 4B QQ
    I would have called with TT
    I’m adjusting my Preflop range to reflect the 4B. I now have a 9% range, 116 combos and contains some semi-bluff BW SC and medium-low pairs. The pot is at $510.

Post Flop :Ah :Td :7c
    Top pair = check
    KK = check
    Air = check
    I’m continuing with 46% of my previous range having 44 combos. AA,TT,77,AKo,AKs-A9s,KQs-KJs,QJs
    I have either connected with sets, 2P or strong pairs and I have a little equity in my gut shots and bckdr fd. My check is most likely to induce a bet from BB that I can then 3B, or I’m hoping for an unlikely free card.
    BB bets $200 and I call so I am on a draw or I’m slow playing any of my three sets. I’m calling and going to the turn with no change in my range.
    Top pair = check-call
    Second pair = check-call
    Sets = check call

Turn :9d
    TP = check
    Second pair is no longer part of my range
    Sets = check
    I’m continuing with 93% of my previous range having 40 combos. I think at this point I am pot controlling and hoping BB has not improved since preflop, I’m in turtle mode with a range of AA,TT,77,AKo,AKs-A9s,KJs,QJs,KdQd
    I check, BB bets under a half the pot ($400) and I fold.
    Top pair = fold
    Second pair = fold
    Pair and a draw = fold
    I get out with 60% of the stack I started with. I live to play another hand but will never know if I was pushed off the winning hand.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file