$2/5 Live player new to site

Billy BrownBilly Brown Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
I live in Austin but will be in Vegas this summer for six weeks for the WSOP. I am a full time high school teacher and coach so I don't get to play a lot of poker during the year. I have been playing poker for almost 20 years and pretty seriously for the last 15 or so. These days I usually only play in Vegas and my favorite room is the Wynn. I'm excited to see the new room.

I will also play some tournaments this summer. For sure I will be playing the Colossus, the Monster Stack, and the Main Event. Since January I have been focusing on the mental side of poker and trying to get as much studying in as possible before the summer starts. Through my studying and listening to podcasts I found the RCP podcasts and quickly binge listened to all of them in the past 2 weeks. I haven't been on a forum in years but after listening to James describe the friendliness of this one I decided to give it a shot. I spent last summer in Vegas and while I'm friendly with several players I regularly see at the table I don't really have anyone to consistently discuss strategy with and hopefully I can do that here.

Sincerely,
Billy

Comments

• Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,857 -
    Billy,

Welcome. What is this new Wynn poker room? I was there a few days ago, same room as always.

Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • blasterblaster Red Chipper Posts: 91 ✭✭
    They are building a new room.
  • FilthyCasualFilthyCasual Red Chipper Posts: 871 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum!
  • Billy BrownBilly Brown Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
  • Steve007Steve007 Red Chipper Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    I heard on another forum that there is a sign up saying the rake will be increased when they open up the new room. So instead of being good news this is actually bad news. Encore and Venetian will have the highest rake in town.
    The people who care about the rake at the Wynn are not the people I want to play with :)
    The people who care about the rake at the Wynn are not the people I want to play with :)

You'd be surprised at the number of nits/regs who will play there anyway, or who don't care, or who even decide to play in those rooms because they think it makes the games easier. And fish care about rake too, especially the ones who think they are much better than they really are.
    I guess part of the reason I'm annoyed by the rake increase is it's obvious that it has really hurt business at the Venetian, it is not so obvious that the games have gotten any better, and I don't want to see the same thing happen to the Wynn because I really like playing there.
    I think the rake increase is inevitable everywhere. Hopefully, it won't kill the room but I doubt it will have much effect this summer anyway.
  • RCP Coach - Fausto ValdezRCP Coach - Fausto Valdez RCP Coach Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome billy !!
    COACHING NOW AVAILABLE HERE
    MY COACHING REVIEWS HERE
    I think the rake increase is inevitable everywhere. Hopefully, it won't kill the room but I doubt it will have much effect this summer anyway.

You're right they probably are inevitable. I was really happy when Caesars actually lowered theirs to $4. So I'm really just hoping the increases are delayed for as long as possible.

If the rake increase does affect the room it probably won't be noticed until a time like August when poker rooms tend to be emptier after the WSOP.

The Wynn 1-3 plays deeper with the $500 max and I love that game. So I'm sure I'll play at the Encore anyway because the rake doesn't hurt as much compared to the typical 1-2 and 1-3 game with a $300 max buy-in. And the 2-5 and 5-10 games have bigger max buy-ins as well.

This is why I'm glad that I'm a member of this site and try to improve my game. The players who really get hurt the most by rake increases are the nitty regs who stay at 1-2 forever and don't improve. Players who do improve and move up to 2-5 and higher (or at least move up to 1-3 with a $500 max buy-in) aren't affected as much.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file