Strange 88

Big OwlBig Owl Red Chipper Posts: 170
edited December 2014 in Live Poker Hands
In Vegas at Venetian 2/5 passive game all everyone wants to do is trap. I open :8s :8c for $20 utg 1.
5 callers.

Flop $120 :6c :6d :7h
I must say with this flop and 5 players behind I'm not too excited. I check. Anyone like a bet here?
Amazingly it checks through.

Turn :4h now with a gutshot I'm thinking that I can prolly call a bet if someone takes a stab so I check again. Bet here? Surprise, checks through again.

River :Td I've gone this far so see no reason to stab now so I check.
Checks through.

Comments

• Ed MillerEd Miller RCP Coach Posts: 330
    Bet the flop IMO. Field is an underdog to have a six, you will get value from sevens, and there's a decent chance you just win now rather than give a free overcard that beats you.

Not sure why you're amazed this keeps getting checked through. It's a passive game where people trap, and this board gives you nothing strong to bet except trips, and if you're gonna trap, then you're checking that too.
  • Christian SotoChristian Soto RCP Coach Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭
    Bet Flop- Merge on many turns.
  • Big OwlBig Owl Red Chipper Posts: 170
    Ok second time (hopefully last) I've done this. Guess I'm getting caught up in not making a large pot multi way with a marginal hand. Let's say I bet flop 75 get 2 callers. Now I'm going to turn with pot at 345. Do I really now bet again? I just feel like once I c-bet and get to turn I'll have no idea where I'm at with a huge pot, and chances to make big mistakes. I could be thinking about this all wrong and way too nitty ( likely).
    I'm not arguing the point I just don't understand what my plan is going forward in the hand. A couple months ago someone posted a hand where there were like 4 limpers and he was in bb with :Ad :Jd
    I felt he should raise. You guys said that he should check and play flop because we don't want to play a bigger pot with marginal cards. So I was feeling this was similar after we get 5 callers and this flop.
  • EricEric Red Chipper Posts: 46 ✭✭
    Ed,

When you say:
    Field is an underdog to have a six, you will get value from sevens, and there's a decent chance you just win now rather than give a free overcard that beats you

Would your C-bet strategy, your interpretation of the "field" and said field's designated range change if this was a 10/25 game?

Eric
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    Big Owl wrote:
    I'm not arguing the point I just don't understand what my plan is going forward in the hand. A couple months ago someone posted a hand where there were like 4 limpers and he was in bb with :Ad :Jd
    I felt he should raise. You guys said that he should check and play flop because we don't want to play a bigger pot with marginal cards. So I was feeling this was similar after we get 5 callers and this flop.

If I get 2 callers here I'm just checking it down. Its a protected pot...no one going to bluff (except the bluffy lagtard and if there was one you would have him spotted). they are all scared someone else has the trips...if they draw out on you well so be it.

It amazes me how much money I make building big multiway pots...betting my over pair/top pair...getting callers and then checking it down...

My rules are one caller...value bet....2 callers...value bet safe flop/turns (the paired board and your weak over pair has me checking it down here)...3 or more..just check it down...(comes from Herrington on cash games..chapter on multi way pots..
    third time not a charm
    Aria 2/5 Villain is second hand at table around 50 has $500.I'm UTG with :Tc :Ts
    I open for 25 get 4 callers

flop :3d :4c :5c V checks I bet 80 folds around to V he raises to 200.

These overpair hands with 6 players are working me over.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are always tough spots, and I sympathize. Here are some of the things that go in to my thinking in your spot:

1. Bet/fold is the easiest way to get through the game. I would bet with the intention of carefully evaluating aggression against my bet.
    2. A five or six way pot is not much different than a limped pot, don't go broke with one pair. I'm at the Aria, and calling ranges should be weighted to fairly playable hand featuring pocket pairs and only the best suited connectors.
    3. I have to consider how my opponent plays- many of your hand histories have no reads, and I would find poker very difficult to play in this vacuum, where it just becomes x and o guesswork.
    4. In this spot, I think villain's line is pretty stupid, but I'm still not going to pay him off. He doesn't need to c/r to get all the money in unless he's sure you're going to spazz out with an overpair; thus he should have many bluffs/semi-bluffs in his range, but I'm just not going to give him credit for a move yet, and follow through on my b/f most likely; again, barring a better read/guess on how he plays. For instance, his bet sizing is leveraging your whole stack and a good player should be able to c/r you with very little here, but I don't assume the best about an opponent. Once I see how he plays, I will consider going to the felt with him.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file