should I raise top set on 3 card flush flop ?

amur37amur37 Red Chipper Posts: 19
edited December 2014 in Live Poker Hands
live game $2/5 Las Vegas: TAG-Regular good player raise pre-flop $25 in Early Position (his stack $1500), I called with :Jc :Jd , and 1 player on Button called, pot is $80. Flop : :Jh :3h :8h , he C-bet 60 , I raised All in $250 with top set, he called with :Ah :As . Turn : :Ad , River: :6c . He got set AA on Turn. What is the best play here ?

Comments

• Christian SotoChristian Soto RCP Coach Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭
    Think about what you with your bluffs - it should be the same :-)
  • amur37amur37 Red Chipper Posts: 19
    Thank you very much for the fast and great respond.
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,646 -
    amur37 wrote:
    live game $2/5 Las Vegas: TAG-Regular good player raise pre-flop $25 in Early Position (his stack $1500), I called with :Jc :Jd , and 1 player on Button called, pot is $80. Flop : :Jh :3h :8h , he C-bet 60 , I raised All in $250 with top set, he called with :Ah :As . Turn : :Ad , River: :6c . He got set AA on Turn. What is the best play here ?

Best play is to get luckier in situations where neither of you are going to fold the flop. :)
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
    Thanks a lot Doug, you are absolutely right ! I appreciate your comment.
  • stranstran Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
    disagree with the shove

H is way ahead of anything the villain could be holding and I would play the hand for value.

why not flat the c-bet and shove the turn with approx. a PSB as long as the turn is not another heart ?
    thanks Stran for the advice, It was my original thought to call his C-bet and raise the Turn, but I had a short stack and pot got bigger, ( pot would be $200 if I called his c-bet),so on Turn I w'd have only $190 left in my stack, so I'd never fold. that is why I decided to go All in on Flop.
  • OutlierOutlier Red Chipper Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Not sure bluffs are that relevant here with the short effective stacks. Seems like it's pretty close here between raising and folding. If you raise, you could get him to fold the lower part of his range. If you just flat, however, you could lose action from the middle chunk of his range when scare cards hit the turn. I think it's fine as played this shallow.

A more interesting question to me: how do we play this $1500 eff?
  • Ed MillerEd Miller RCP Coach Posts: 330
    With these stacks I shove flop all day long. You'll get called by a ton of worse hands including worse sets, overpairs, :Ah ?X? , the case jack, etc.
    Ed Miller, thank you very much for your great practical advice, I appreciate it so much. I feel good now , because now I know , I did made the right decision then. Thanks a lot for shearing your knowledge about Las Vegas poker, I can not wait to get your newest book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file