Poker Leak List Challenge

As a follow up to our podcast on How to Find and Fix Your Own Poker Leaks, we wanted to challenge Red Chippers to make their own leak lists and share them in this thread.

Simply write down a list of your leaks, and post it here. The act of publicly listing weaknesses and your intention to address them will serve as a powerful motivator, as well as a handy reference guide for what you should be studying!

We encourage you to leave positive, constructive advice for other players on their leak lists as well. We're also curious to see what the most common leak list items are. We'll develop future training content to help you study & plug them.

Good luck on the leaks!
Red Chip Poker

Comments

• ZacShawZacShaw Red Chipper Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    This is definitely an abbreviated list, but it's a start:

Online vs. Live Leak: Need to play online more like live (should be more aggressive live), and vice versa (should be less aggressive online)
    Triple barrel bluff leak: Too many (online only) & getting called too often on river
    Mental game leak: Boredom vs. ADHD leads to getting "too creative" and also losing focus
    VPIP leak: Playing a few too many hands (esp. online), again getting too creative
    Live leak: Suspect best players level me & getting me to fold best hand at times
    Hand reading: Getting better but need more focus & a better process
    Value leak: Sometimes I lose value by playing monster flops too fast vs. crap ranges/textures

• HAKKA-AAHAKKA-AA Red Chipper Posts: 45 ✭✭
    my leak is to find leak :) and to start somewhere with my database (I'm MTT player)
    you often need a baseline for comparison, I mean, do I open too much in EP? do I call not enough in SB? for sure there are leaks I'm aware of, but I think the most important leaks to find are leaks you are not aware of, that add up and impact your wins. that would great to see a vid on leak finding from the ground.

Most obvious leaks:

- Shallow stack play (15-30bb) in MTT, outside push/fold stage <15bb
    - SBvsBB, when I'm the SB
    - SB play in general, I guess I can do better in winrate (-30bb/100)
    - 4 betting stack off, 4bet bluff
    - hand reading
    - Fancy play, fancy bluff
  • mbehr1983mbehr1983 Red Chipper Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    Focus- Loose focus of things going on around me pot size/odd
    Pot size/odds- Hard for me to keep track and do the math like I used to be able to do
    Fear/confidence-always thing that they catch up seems like they do when I decide to call they have it
    Labeling players- I think I have them labeled and then I lose and wonder why I labeled them that way
    3bet/call 3 bet 4 bet- Just started adding this to my game so a work in progress
    Ranges- think this is set then bored or tilt and play hands outside of theses
    Nitty/live- I play to few hand instead of getting in there and fighting has to do with fear as I don’t have unlimited funds
    Playing only my cards- get in situation where I see a hand and then totally forget it’s not about my cards but what my opponent’s cards
    Online think I cbet to often- get me in trouble
    Value- lose value on hands I am ahead on
    Changing old thinking- I learned a certain way and brain goes there by default

Figure I stop here to leave room for others. I never looked at cards this way before. Just thought that sense i read some books i should win. This site is showing me many other insightful things and I think if I can focus on this list I should be able to improve
  • CordaroCordaro Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Focus-I need to focus more when playing live. I get distracted by tv or my phone when I'm not in a hand and I miss out on valuable info, also I some times get distracted by the absolute value of my hand and don't realize until V's snap call that I'm probably behind.
    Setmining-I tend to mindlessly setmine any time I'm dealt middle and baby pairs. I need to learn how to setmine profitably.
    Early Position-I tend to open too wide in EP. This one I have been trying to work on I tend to limp a lot and even open limp from utg. I never do this online only live probably mostly out of boredom.

I know I have plenty other leaks, but these are the glaring ones that I see losing me the most money.
  • ZacShawZacShaw Red Chipper Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    A lot of people, myself included, seem to be struggling with focus.

I would say that I just got several episodes deep in SplitSuit's Hand Reading Lab, and it's really opened my eyes to the importance of focus.

When I play online, the HUD does the work. In live games, just building those HUD stats takes every ounce of the attention I have to give. Then there's planning the hand, branching out vs. the various lines that could be played against you... forget about it.

Winning players absolutely have metagame, processes, protocols and programs to deal with common and even uncommon scenarios. Focus in live games is the foundation for exploiting spots with those processes. These processes are dynamically adjusted to player types, stack sizes, observed behaviors and ranges. Without focus, those data points are lost and the processes fail.

And yet, this runs counter to the 'fun' aspect of poker. If we are in grandmaster chess attention mode, are we really sitting around the table for a fun game of poker?

There seems to be a tricky balance around focus in poker. I am going back to Dr. Tricia Cardner's mental game PRO videos for insight.

What SplitSuit's hand reading instruction has taught me, is that if I'm not putting every player on a range every time they make an action, I am paying less than optimal attention to the game.
  • lilcheapielilcheapie Red Chipper Posts: 2
    edited June 2016
    -Playing too late/too long
    -Calling overbets
    -Limping / limp folding
    -Poor bet sizing / not betting large enough
    -Not thinking enough / not thinking systematically about a hand - ZOMG KK!
    -Not bluffing large enough
    -Playing OOP
  • MtipsterMtipster Red Chipper Posts: 131 ✭✭
    Lots of common leaks already mentioned, but could add a pair:
    1. Reacting to flop raises
    2. Too passive postflop in blind defense situations
    How about to passive period.
    Example: last night was in my local game action was passive then a couple guys started min straddling I am in the big blind and 3 people just called the straddle brain said make it 25 for dead money but couldn't pull the trigger. Doesn't help that I flipped the world either. I think there are many situations like this that I just miss tons of dead money
  • ChipXtractorChipXtractor Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭✭
    ZacShaw wrote: »

I would say that I just got several episodes deep in SplitSuit's Hand Reading Lab, and it's really opened my eyes to the importance of focus.

When I play online, the HUD does the work. In live games, just building those HUD stats takes every ounce of the attention I have to give. Then there's planning the hand, branching out vs. the various lines that could be played against you... forget about it.

Winning players absolutely have metagame, processes, protocols and programs to deal with common and even uncommon scenarios. Focus in live games is the foundation for exploiting spots with those processes. These processes are dynamically adjusted to player types, stack sizes, observed behaviors and ranges. Without focus, those data points are lost and the processes fail.

And yet, this runs counter to the 'fun' aspect of poker. If we are in grandmaster chess attention mode, are we really sitting around the table for a fun game of poker?

There seems to be a tricky balance around focus in poker. I am going back to Dr. Tricia Cardner's mental game PRO videos for insight.

What SplitSuit's hand reading instruction has taught me, is that if I'm not putting every player on a range every time they make an action, I am paying less than optimal attention to the game.

I agree Zac. I am actually having a bit of an issue with this at the moment as well.

Recently I have been playing a lot with friends (fellow RCP'ers). The experience has been a lot of fun at the tables. I am much more talkative and enjoy the games quite a bit. The flip side is I have not been at all as focused as I usually am. I am making mistakes I usually would not make and just missing information I would usually pick up on.

Dont get me wrong I have totally enjoyed every experience. But the truth is my actual play has suffered. No doubt about it. Now, I want to be able to do both. So I need to get better at being social *AND* playing good poker.

This WSOP trip coming up for me is going to be a good test of how well I can do that.

Is my inability to currently play well and be social a leak? I guess it could be. Hopefully the next week or two can give me a chance to start plugging it.

cXt
    Twitter = @ChipXtractor
  • The MuleThe Mule Red Chipper Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    I try to play balanced, but my inner nit fights against putting money in without a strong hand, particularly once the betting gets big. I think the following are leaks for me:

Not bluff-raising enough.
    It's easy to identify hands to raise for value, they're just the top of my range. It's not so easy to identify hands to bluff-raise in the heat of battle - I want to raise the bottom of my calling range/top of my folding range, but which hands are these on a given board ? Gut shots ? Backdoor flush and straight draws ? Bottom pair ? I suspect this lack of clarity leads to my raises being unbalanced towards value, because whatever I hold I can convince myself that some other hands would be my bluff-raising range.

Not 4-bet bluffing.
    I don't generally 4-bet bluff, so I think I could be exploited by opponent's folding everything but the top of their 3-bet range to my (very infrequent) 4-bets. I can also be exploited because I think folding the bottom of my raising range rather than 4-betting means I am probably folding too much, and missing some +EV bluffs. I think this is more of an issue now that I'm playing NL10 6 max, where some players 3-bet a lot out of the blinds against my (wide) button opens.

Blind vs blind play.
    I struggle to know what to do with weak showdown value hands in blind vs blind battles, like low pocket pairs and ace-high. Should I be betting these for protection at some stage ? I think I need to go back and watch some Red Chip videos on this topic.

@colldav man these could be some of mine. In micro online I can 3 bet and 4 bet better than live. I played live one 3 bet and call and they shoved on AQJ flop. was paying attention and saw several weak opens with trash oop. In my game just need to go for it and pick right spots. It's hard to determine right spot and if there is fold equity
  • philby20philby20 Red Chipper Posts: 189 ✭✭
    ZacShaw wrote: »

i have been trying out this program i come across on smart poker study its https://www.focusatwill.com it works well for study and online play and you get a free subscription for 6 months if u do there survey
  • The MuleThe Mule Red Chipper Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    @mbehr1983 I tried to 4-bet bluff a few times in NL2 and NL5, but it was lighting money on fire - 3 bets were always strong, and no-one ever folded to a 4-bet. Is live similar ? I think when the player pool is so unbalanced it's pretty safe to be unbalanced yourself as a default.
    @colldav I would say worse live. From my experience at 5nl players have found folds. In the game I was in last night they like to see flops and only go by there hand and feel. For instant i had 88 in late position and a raise from early position and 3bet and got a call no biggie but flop AQJ flop goes all in have to be behind there right? I also was sitting next to a player who showed me what he was calling a raise with from MP and 92s and flops 2 pair. Part of me wants to play super aggro but hardly any fold equity in this game so in this game better have top of your range and believe they are calling very wide. There is no balance in the games i play in. Not to many are even paying attention. The game last night is a 1/2/5 game and everyone buys in <200 so not much room to use edge. I think I am not going to play there for these reasons. Variance to high and only really playing pre flop
  • KnampfKnampf Red Chipper Posts: 162 ✭✭
    My poker leak list:
    - Light 3betting
    - C-betting in 3bet pots
    - Playing draws, implied odds
    - Calling with pocket pair
    - Understanding, why I bet
    - double barrel (bluff)
    - triple barrel (for value)
    - preflop ranges
    - Getting reads
    - handle small bets when faced
    - (bluff in) multi-way pots
    - handle steal 3bets when faced
  • OlMrBOlMrB Red Chipper Posts: 36
    5 Leaks I will working to eliminate from my game.
    • BB Play - I often defend to much from this position.
    • Turn & River Play - Being a tournament player, I haven't worked on these streets as much as preflop & flop play.
    • Level 3 Meta Game - I need to become more creative to help me get paid more when playing regs.
    • Complacency - When I'm running hot, I tend to get over confident and a little spewy.
    • Bankroll Managment - I bounce around from stake to stake with no regard for my bankroll when playing cash games. I Love the rush of taking shots. Tournaments I tend to do better at staying within my bankroll.
  • OliverLovingOliverLoving Red Chipper Posts: 61 ✭✭
    Slightly different take on this. In my case, I - like everyone else - have many leaks, but I have one huge one which is that I make two many bad calls on the turn and river. This alone turned my recent two weeks at the WSOP into a break-even situation after expenses despite a lot of very strong play.

So I am using the podcast framework - with modification - to address this leak. The plan I am starting out with is to devote two weeks solely to do this. On reflection, I have concluded that my framework for considering these decisions must be flawed since I keep doing something that I know is wrong but seems right to me at the time. So its not so much that I need to know more (in which case I would need a Study Plan as I need to actually do what I already know.

My plan is as follows. I will develop specific Action Plans for facing a bet on the turn and river and try to apply this plan to every situation. Each day when I play I will review EVERY hand where I lose after a call on the turn and/or river. This should allow me to refine my Action Plan as I move through this in order to make it better or easier to apply and/or identify situations where I am simply not following it.

Here is my first attempt at a Study/Action Plan;

New Model To Address Bets on The Turn

If Hand is multiway, should usually fold unless very likely to have the best hand or pot odds easily justify a call

- If Likely Best, need to consider how player betting (and players behind) are likely to react to a raise in order to try and maximize the pot

- If I have a big enough draw to justify a call need to consider

(i) what is action behind likely to be?
    (ii) how will players react to a raise?
    to determine if a raise is better. If players are likely to make poor folds or poor calls then a raise is likel better

In a heads-up situation:

- with the best hand, just call if player is likely to keep barelling and will likely fold to aggression but raise if player is likely to keep playing and/or may have a draw

- when likely behind and without a good odds-on draw, raise if there is sufficient fold equity, call ONLY if certain cards are likely to provide an excellent floating opportunity as well as having legitimate outs. Otherwise fold

- when pot is offering sufficient odds to justify a call then I probably am not folding but first consider:

(i) Do I have any false outs considering his likely range. Don't be lazy in this analysis and be ready to change to a fold

(ii) How about a raise instead of a call? Much better to get opponent to fold then to hope to hit my draw

• 7he.omniknigh77he.omniknigh7 Red Chipper Posts: 15
    My leak is my blind play. i lose >50bb/100 from BB and >30bb/100 from SB. Hate playing OOP.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file