set mining in tournys

philby20philby20 Red Chipper Posts: 189 ✭✭
whats the minimum number of bbs you like to have when set mining in a tourny with 22-66 i was thinking around 35+ maybe a few less the closer i am to being the last to act preflop any 1 agree or disagree. Obviously stages of the tournament play a part but generally in early to middle stages thoughts?

Comments

• nominaliznominaliz Red Chipper Posts: 16 ✭✭
    It also depends a lot on your opponents, you have to think how often are they going to give you all their money with top pair or some draw. If they are going to call you light you can do it more often
  • MonadMonad Red Chipper Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    It's pretty much a general rule that pure set mining strategy requires like 15-20:1 implied odds. It's just barely viable to flat a 2.5x open in MP if you have 35-40BB stack & 22-88. It's just as viable to fold.

Even when you're getting odds OOP you have to consider stacks that might shove behind you. Unless you're closing the action be very tentative about getting involved with thin implied odds and low fold equity.
  • FilthyCasualFilthyCasual Red Chipper Posts: 871 ✭✭✭
    My results (albeit, hardly a large sample size) have seemed to improve when I default to a stricter range, dropping the lower pocket pairs without good reason to play them. If villain is someone I expect to put a large amount of chips in is generally where I'll use them, down to 30 bbs. Yeah, I go below the set mine 'rule', but I expect to get paid off more often by someone who errs on the side of triple barreling. I'll also play them against villains that fold too often around the 25-40bb range, but I'm not really playing them to set mine in this instance. I'd be happy to hit a set, but more inconsequential.

Ep I just fold without large stacks of 60 bbs+. As monad mentioned, lot can go on behind you that will have you just bleeding blinds. I'm looking closer to 40 bbs+ from Lp for myself to play them as a set mine, but can't say 35 is bad or anything. I just found that the game seems to have less questions and marginal spots when I removed a lot of the low Pp with less than 40 bbs in tournaments.
  • philby20philby20 Red Chipper Posts: 189 ✭✭
    I agree with what use are all saying here, it does definitely fell like one of those spots where its so marginal and i cringe if i call and i cringe if i fold, i do like to play if i'm closing the action or near closing the action but apart from that in the 30-50 bbs area playing on the side of caution and avoiding tricky spots might be best. One of the other things i have found is sometimes when playing the smaller pairs i end up going to far on one of those flops that favours my range eg: 578 rainbow ect and loose a big chunck of my stack when villain has me crushed :(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file