Hand Help please.

jgallegos_23jgallegos_23 Red Chipper Posts: 13
edited June 2016 in Online Poker Hands
This is a hand that I played earlier tonight that I feel like I should have got away from. This is NOT a bad beat story. I would like to hear different thought on how you might have played the hand differently. This is a 9max 200NL. Let me start with some player information on the villain in this hand.

This player had beat me in a couple of big pots (he was behind in 2/3 until the river). He was a very tight player, jamming pre with JJ+ AKo+. He donk and C-bet flop a lot. When he check turn gave up to my bet 3 times. When he continued he had top pair +. I don't have HUD stats on this player as this is not an actual game but simulation software.

1} CO (Hero)- $808.00
2) BTN- $191.50
3) SB- $400.00
4) BB (villain)- $1,292.50
5) UTG- $207.00
6) UTG+1- $510.00
7) UTG+2-$300.00
8) MP1- (sitting out)
9) MP2- $148.00
10) HJ- $195.00

SB- post $1
BB- post $2
UTG- $2
UTG+1- folds
UTG+2- folds
MP1- folds
MP2- folds
Hero- ( :Ac:8c) Raise $6 (total $8)
BTN- folds
SB- folds
BB calls- $6
UTG- folds

(pot- $19)
Pre- My thought is that UTG is weak only calling. I have been stealing the blinds from CO pretty consistently, and though that this was a good had to continue my aggressive blind stealing being in position if I got a call and could fold if I was 3bet. When the villain calls my raise this is the range I put him on with a strong emphasis on low pocket pairs 22-77. 22-99, ATs-AJs, A8s, QTs+, KJ+, JTs, T9s, 98s, AJo-A9o, KJo+, QJo, JTo, T9o, 98o.
I have seen this player Jam Pre with TT+/ AQS+ AKo. My cards vs this range is essentially a coin flip.

FLOP: 7s 7d Ah
Nervous Ned bets $6
J raises $31 ($37 total)
Nervous Ned calls $31

(pot- $93)
I figure that he is donk betting here to see where he is @. As I said before, he dose this most of the time. I raise here because I think that with his 2 pair hands 22-99 (excluding 77 as there are 2 7's on the board) he is value betting. When he calls the bet intead of raising I really think that he has 2 pair (and dismiss the possibility of anything stronger my two pair). On this flop, I improve to 85% favorite.

TURN: 7s 7d Ah 6c
Nervous Ned bets $93
J raises $279
Nervous Ned raises $875.50 (all-in)
J calls $391 (all-in)
When he bets pot, all I can think is that I want to get stacks in. When I raise and he pushes I think "I finally got this bastard."

J shows 8c Ac
Nervous Ned shows 7c 7h

When the 6c hits the board, I still have about 83% equity by the calculator. When he bets pot, all I can think is that I want to get stacks in. When I raise and he pushes I think "I finally got this bastard". I immediately called instead of taking a few minutes and really thinking through this had. because I pegged him for a small pocket pair I completely dismissed any possibility of three of a kind, a bigger Ax hand, or a full house. My stupid desire to finally beat him clouded my ju

RIVER: 7s 7d Ah 6c 9h

Nervous Ned wins $1,615 with Four of a Kind, Sevens
$4 raked.

My stupid desire to finally beat him clouded my judgment and stopped me from thinking through the hand rationally.

I am curious with the information about the player that I gave; is the range I assigned correct?

What do you think is the correct actions in this hand ? You can give me your thoughts on any street of this hand that you would have played differently.

Have you found yourself in similar spots where you have let something stop or hinder your narrowing of ranges. If so how have you been able to overcome it?

Any other thoughts or spots that I could improve that I have not mentioned or maybe I have not seen.

I have thick skin and can handle your constructive criticism.
Thanks for your comments and opinions.

J.

Comments

• AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Preflop 4x iso to $8 is standard vs limper

flop ($19) :7s:7d:Ah
    V bets $6
    Hero raises to $37

Why are you raising so large here? I don't mind a raise or a call here. If I am going to raise I would make it like $21.

"When he calls the bet instead of raising I really think that he has 2 pair (and dismiss the possibility of anything stronger my two pair). On this flop, I improve to 85% favorite."

Of course any hand he calls with here is 2 pair +. You dismiss the fact that he can also have an ace with a better kicker which is a better 2 pair?

Lets go over his range that you gave him
    22-77. 22-99, ATs-AJs, A8s, QTs+, KJ+, JTs, T9s, 98s, AJo-A9o, KJo+, QJo, JTo, T9o, 98o.

Now lets narrow down this range a little bit, because villains should not be calling this wide oop vs a 4x iso. I know you are 400bb deep, so they will still call pretty light.

New range:
    22-99, A2s-AJs, QTs+, KJ+, 76s+, ATo-AJo, KJo+, JTo+,

What part of this range donk bets flop then continues?
    A2s-AJs, 76s-87s, ATo-AJo,

So now you are beating A2s-A6s and that's about it. Why do you think he is calling 22-99 here vs your flop raise?

On the turn lets focus on your description of the villain

"He was a very tight player, jamming pre with JJ+ AKo+. He donk and C-bet flop a lot. When he check turn gave up to my bet 3 times. When he continued he had top pair +. "

TURN ($93): 7s 7d Ah 6c

focus on the last part of your sentence. "when he continued he had top pair+." Do you think he is betting 1/3 pot on the flop with A2s-A6s, call an over bet raise or pot size raise, then donk betting turn for full pot? Why are you raising this turn? Yes, you have TP+FD, but against his continuing range you are still not beating A9+. Maybe you can get those hands to fold by raising, but if you are called you have 20% equity at best. He is never folding 7x.

I think a better line is call flop, call turn, and fold to river bet.

Next option raise flop $21 (3.5x) and check back turn if called and maybe call river bet depending on the size.
  • jgallegos_23jgallegos_23 Red Chipper Posts: 13
    Austin, Thanks for your reply

Unfortunately my first answer to almost all of the questions you posed to me when I read your post was- I basically stopped thinking because I thought I had the best hand. But I am going to try to explain some of them the best I can and give you my rationalization for the action. I definitely see how flawed my thinking (or lack of thinking) was. Hopefully you have some suggestions on how to keep this type of thing from happening again.

Why are you raising so large here?- My thought at the time was that he was going to donk bet with anything. A bet about 1/3 size of the pot, In my mind at the time I thought he was just taking a stab at it. I am pretty sure that At this point I figured that my two pair are good and stopped thinking about his range. I am sure I was trying to get him to put money in with worse 2 pair. You are absolutely right on my bet size way to big and I cant even come up with a logical reason why I decided that $37 was a good bet size.

I like your narrowing of the range, and it makes complete sense to me (now).

So now you are beating A2s-A6s and that's about it. Why do you think he is calling 22-99 here vs your flop raise?

As I said above I got a hard on for my 2 pair and got it in my head that he could not be beating me (Most times in this type of spot, I feel that I do a good job of thinking before I act, and would like to think that I would play this differently). To be completely blunt analyzing my play hrs later, I stopped thinking. I was going to win this hand and my only thought process that makes any sense to me is "How can I get his entire stack in" ( as flawed as this logic is, it is the only thing I can think of that makes any kind of sense to me). This is a leak that doesn't come up to often but when it does, I ends up costing me a lot of money. I am hoping by posting this hand that I completely played wrong and getting feed back on how bad I played it hopefully lessons will start to sink in.

Keeping the emotion of past losses, and the fact that I know that most of the time I am going to be able to out play this opponent is what I think fueled this disaster. I took down a decent pot against this guy when a scare card came on turn, after he donked the flop and checked the turn earlier. "Entitlement Tilt" and "Winners Tilt" which I think both had a lot to do with the way I played this hand. It is obvious to me that I have this problem that sneaks up on my and I don't recognize it in the moment but I do immediately after the horrible play. I need to figure out how to recognize that these emotions are present before they completely shut down me being able to think my way through the hand.

Sorry for the rambling above. Hopefully you were able to follow what I was trying to say.
    Thank you very much for your thoughts and please continue to comment and offer any other suggestions you may have.

J.
  • MonadMonad Red Chipper Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Not to be too blunt but postflop is a disaster. Pre is fine, but postflop you are SUPER deep at around 400BB. No one, especially a tightish player, is stacking off this deep postflop without trips or better.

When he donks into you on flop just call. Same on turn. Your raise doesn't accomplish anything. Even at 100BB I'm playing the same way. Only pretty short stacked am I willing to commit stacks w/ A8 on A77. It's a way ahead way behind scenario.
  • jgallegos_23jgallegos_23 Red Chipper Posts: 13
    Thanks Monad. Really it is the emotional factors that blinded me. I need to figure out how to get that out of my game, I figured by posting the hand here It might help me somehow. At this point I am reaching for anything.
  • MonadMonad Red Chipper Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭✭
    Emotional/tilt issues go somewhat beyond generic tactical advice, but if your fundamental poker skills are still rough then your tilt issues will spiral. All I can say is commit to learning vs. winning. Read ALOT of books and ALOT of forums in conjunction w/ playing. Remember key hands, post results, get your ego hurt, learn more, repeat.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file