Thinking about ranges Trees V.S Forest..

EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭
Most players when they want to think of their opponents range, take a forest approach.

the say he raises with 20% range....they go to a program like flopzilla...slide the bar tweak it and volla...a 20% range......Then they run flopzilla against different flops and try to memorize.

then they think of 30% range and back to flopzilla....slide bar tweak...different flops...

This approach is time consuming and not very effective in getting a feel for how ranges play.

I use a tree approach...I think of each part of a range and build it up.

I want a 20% range....First I think in groups of 12 as its close to 1% of all hands (10% less) and all poker combos fit into 12...(non fit into 13.26 which is 1%)

so that means I want 22 sets of 12 combo....

So now we start with a type of tree....(part of the range)

All suited broadways.....there are 10 type of hands (AK AQ kj ect)_ in brodaws....4 combos for any suited combo....so thats 40 combos or 3 groups of 12, round it off...

Now the unsuited broadway....again 10 groups...each group is 12....so that 10 more...

So now we have 13 of our 22 groups of 12

Here's the cool thing......Any boradway card on a flop will always get 4 top pair (that's 4 combos of 12)....on any Low flushdraw...say Kd 8s 6s gets a 1 (actually 10 combos rounds to 1 12) ....note 2 broadway give you a 5 for inside and striaght draws....

This hitting flops this way does not matter is its a 30% range a 25% range a 50% range....if they play all broadway....on a two tone flop with a broadway card...its aways 4 top pair and 1 flush draw....

But of course they don't just play broadways....

So now add in all pairs....thats 6 (its actually 6 1/2 but back to rounding)...if you think its only big pairs thats 2 big and middle thats 4.....for now assume 6....all pairs...
i

So now we have
10 BWo
3 BWs
6 pairs... ....or 19

how do pairs hit top pair+ ....sets are 9 combos or rouond to 1.....over pairs are 1/2 for each pair above top card....so now take are Kd 8s 6s board....

Pairs add 1 1/2 to top pair + 1/2 for AA and all sets...

So now top Pair +...is 4 (broadway), +1 1/2....so about 5 1/2....but paris don't hit draws so that stays at 1 (from suited broadways)

Well we are at 19 and need 3 more...the next group is suited Aces...

there are 8 suited Aces not counted in broadways.....4 combos each that 32 or about 3 groups of 12)...

So that now

10 BWo
3 BWs
6 pairs...
3 A2s-A9s...and we have 22 combos....or a 20% range...

How do suited Aces affect top broadway top pair...well if its and ace add 2 more.....if its not an ace does not hit it....

How about a draw....well with blockers its 6 combo or 1/2 or so on are Kd 8s 6s....here the thing its almost always going to 1/2 more....if suited aces are included...

So now we have top pair+ as 5 1/2 and draws at 1 1/2.....

But you say I don't think they don't play all Broadways at 20%....ok lest remover a few of the weakest nons suited....says kTo Qto and Jto......so unsiuted brodways drop to 7 (each unsuited combo is 12 or 1 when counting in 12's)

How does that affect how it hits well a K Q or J top pair goes down by 1 so in are case on the
Kd 8s 6s we go from 5 1/2 to 4 1/2 with the draws staying at 1 1/2

but now we need 3 more....so lets add in suited connectors....again there are 8 of these not including broadways and these have 4 combos each so that about 3 more (32 combo but we round up )...

Again suited connecators do not hit top pair in are Kd 8s 6s but do get 1/2 more draws...So thats now 4 1/2 top pair and 2 draws...

We also now have a 20% range
7 broadway us (minus - Ktko QTo JTo)
3 broadway suited
6 all pairs
3 A2s-a9s
3 23s-t9s

thats 22 and about what a 20% range looks like....but now you have a feel for how it connects.

And if you have to go to 25%...its easy.....

thats 5 to 6 more 12's groups...

add back in the week bradways...Kto qto jto....for 3...suite one gappers for 3, and your there..

30 % (33 12's) suited Ks another 3.... A9o-A70 3....and t9o- t7o...

the thing is determing how each group hits flops is easy and just adding it on gets you the ratios....

I leave you to work out other ranges...but overall once you get a feel for it, it becomes easy and a great way to put players on ranges.

but by studying each type of range (broadway, suited connectors t9o-t7o ect) and seeing how it hits boards....and then building ranges type of hand by type of hand....you get a great feel for ranges and can eventually do flolpzilla in your head.

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file