Keeping up with frequencies

boyd148boyd148 Red Chipper Posts: 94 ✭✭
I've been working on my hand reading lately. I purchased Splitsuits's lab. I've been practicing with Poker Genius and using Flopzilla while I play. I'm happy to report a noticeable improvement in my hand reading.

Here's my problem. When I'm playing live, I have trouble keeping up with the number of hands all my opponents play. After a little while, who played how many hands from what position just starts to all blurr together.

Does any one have any mnemonic devices they use to help keep track of opponents' frequencies?

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,030 -
    Experience and practice go a long way. Over the first hour you won't get a big enough sample to have precise VPIP type data anyway - so your goal is to estimate player types.

"This guy is playing about half of his hands and most of them are played passively" = passive fish

"This guy isn't in many hands but when he does play pots he typically does so by raising" = likely nit or TAG

Then you take lines you'd typically take vs that player type and if you find information to the contrary (either at showdown or along the way) you can revise that player type assumption =)
  • ImperatorImperator Red Chipper Posts: 898 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I have used "memory palaces" to remember things since I was a kid. I also know that my grandmother (who was a great stud poker player) had a name for every card and had constructed sentences for multiple strings of cards. (For instance a folded K98 would be a "a dog eating." Canine, ate.)

She had hundreds of these mnemonics and she made most of them up herself back in the 1940s when she was playing a lot of poker with my grandfather's army buddies. I wish I had collected them all. (A 4th grade education, my grandmother!)

I know there are similar memory palaces for Holdem. There is a book called: Unleash Your Hidden Poker Memory.

The above is a link to Andrew Brokos' unhappy review of the book.

I have also looked through the book and I agree with the great Brokos. I would add one more thing. Pick up this book and try to browse Onika's ideas about memory techniques. There is no need to buy this book. Spend an hour or two with it and just get a sense of the kind of thing he is doing.

What Brokos doesn't say in his review is that such memory palaces have to be self constructed in order to work. It is possible to keep track of every player at every table and every card at every showdown. I know this is possible because my grandmother could do this in 7-card stud. She could remember all the folded cards in a game from the previous night. But these memory palace techniques are very personal. They have to resonate with you. You are the interior designer of the room or the architect of the building where all the players and their cards are placed in order. You can do it but it takes work. I only wish I was as good as my grandmother.

My suggestion, if you really want to remember everything, is to find a good book on memory palaces and practice the techniques. If not just take @SplitSuit 's suggestions.

But here is another suggestion. When you first come to the table make up a name for everyone at the table: (Old Man Sea; Silent Stare; Uptown Girl; Squinty; etc.) Select 2 or 3 and just keep track of how many hands per orbit they are in. How many they limp; how many they open raise. "Squinty limpy 3; Squinty ups 1" If you keep hand histories you can write the results per orbit on the blank page of a notebook with your hand histories. But also try to keep track in your head. At the end of an hour give a percentage. At a live game assume about 30 to 36 hands an hour.
  • boyd148boyd148 Red Chipper Posts: 94 ✭✭
    Thanks for the ideas Splitsuit and Imperator. By the way Splitsuit, I am loving the Hand Reading Lab. If any of you guys are wondering if the lab is worth the cost, it is only one buy in at 2-5. Follow the procedures that Splitsuit lays out in the videos and do the homework, and I feel confident that you will see the same noticeable improvement that I am seeing. I would just like to add, if you get the lab, make sure to download and memorize the hand ranges that Splitsuit is including with the lab. It will make it so much easier, like skipping a level.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,030 -
    Thanks Boyd! Glad you are digging it and super happy to hear that the range guides were useful!
  • bocky7bocky7 Red Chipper Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
    boyd148 wrote: »
    I've been working on my hand reading lately. I purchased Splitsuits's lab. I've been practicing with Poker Genius and using Flopzilla while I play. I'm happy to report a noticeable improvement in my hand reading.

Here's my problem. When I'm playing live, I have trouble keeping up with the number of hands all my opponents play. After a little while, who played how many hands from what position just starts to all blurr together.

Does any one have any mnemonic devices they use to help keep track of opponents' frequencies?

i was wondering if anyone else used Poker Genius...i use the heck out of it (daily) .
    bocky7 wrote: »
    i was wondering if anyone else used Poker Genius...i use the heck out of it (daily) .

I think Poker Genius is a great tool for practicing new concepts. I know it isn't world class AI like some of the more expensive simulators, but I don't think anyone in my poker room is a world class player, so it's perfect to help keep me in shape when I can't get to the poker room.
    Using Flopzilla and Poker Genius together, I get unlimited hand reading practice at no risk to my bankroll.
    I have Master Poker software also. I think that it works just as well, except that villain often opens for a min raise and that just bugged me because I never see that in a live game. Other than that, it works fine.
  • ChipXtractorChipXtractor Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭✭

I think Poker Genius is a great tool for practicing new concepts. I know it isn't world class AI like some of the more expensive simulators, but I don't think anyone in my poker room is a world class player, so it's perfect to help keep me in shape when I can't get to the poker room.
    Using Flopzilla and Poker Genius together, I get unlimited hand reading practice at no risk to my bankroll.
    I have Master Poker software also. I think that it works just as well, except that villain often opens for a min raise and that just bugged me because I never see that in a live game. Other than that, it works fine.

http://sites.fastspring.com/pokergenius/product/pokergeniusdiscountedusd39

Above is a link to a version of Poker Genius for $39

I don't have the software, and I am not sure it is supported very well any longer...Twitter account is dormant for over 16 months... But this code should still be valid.

Good luck.
    Twitter = @ChipXtractor
  • nevergradnevergrad Red Chipper Posts: 64 ✭✭

Is there software you would recommend instead of poker genius and Master Poker?

nevergrad wrote: »

Is there software you would recommend instead of poker genius and Master Poker?

Those are the only ones that I have found that you can download and no monthly subscription is required.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file