Treating exercises as optimization problems

dmansendmansen Red Chipper Posts: 31 ✭✭
I'm going to describe how I've been approaching problems in section 2 because I'm wondering if anyone else does them this way. I'm also curious what people think of this method in general.

I work through these hands like normal until we face our final decision point. Once we're there, I look at pot odds to see how much equity we need to call. I use those odds to construct a range against which I'm break-even. Once I have that, I go back to the original range I constructed for V and compare them.

This allows me to answer questions like: how tight must they be in this spot for me to consider folding? (or, how loose must they be for me to consider calling, depending on the decision). This gives me a richer answer than just "call/fold" and allows me to extrapolate this spot to different villains with different tendencies.

Thoughts / comments appreciated!

Comments

• ChipXtractorChipXtractor Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭✭
    I like it.

Maybe you can also try stepping back just one previous street at a time instead of back to the beginning of the hand where ranges are widest.

Going back one at a time will allow you to get a better feel of how planning and execution flows from street to street. Just doing the same process and asking the same questions only stepping back to the turn I would think should allow you to get a good feel for anticipating future river situations and decision points.

Hope that made sense.
    Twitter = @ChipXtractor
  • tfaziotfazio Red Chipper Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    The real magic starts in section 3. I've been doing range vs range for a while since millers 1% and have approached the first two sections that way. For that matter after completing the book you should go back to the first two sections and do range vs range.
    Also by redoing the examples I was amazed to see how my impressions changed.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,011 -
    Going back one at a time will allow you to get a better feel of how planning and execution flows from street to street. Just doing the same process and asking the same questions only stepping back to the turn I would think should allow you to get a good feel for anticipating future river situations and decision points.

Hope that made sense.

I like this so much.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file