Chess

PescatarianPescatarian Red Chipper Posts: 83
edited January 2015 in Off Topic Chat
A little OT...

I have decided to take up chess again. Used to play as a kid and did quite well for a few years but not played in maybe 12 years now.

Any suggestions on a good book to get me started- a Chess equivalent of Harrington On Hold Em if you will?

Comments

• Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,771 -
    It has been a long time, but I remember:

Traps and Zaps- great for tactics
    Re-asses you Chess
    Chess (the big brick of a book by Polgar), all tactics
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • bocky7bocky7 Red Chipper Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
    have you ever heard of,grand master chess player/poker pro,Jennifer Shahade ?...she is amazing !...fantastic mind...(not to mention how good looking she is)..google her or look in U Tube...i almost wanted to play Chess again....she has great instructions (on U Tube) and a book about chess.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,011 -
    bocky7 wrote:
    have you ever heard of,grand master chess player/poker pro,Jennifer Shahade ?...she is amazing !...fantastic mind...(not to mention how good looking she is)..google her or look in U Tube...i almost wanted to play Chess again....she has great instructions (on U Tube) and a book about chess.

More importantly (imo anyway lol) is that she's a super solid Chinese Poker player. She was on the thinkingpoker podcast and seems like an awesome person to be around.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not aware of any such book. However I found this list by Ken Smith excellent. Actually it's not just a "list", it's a complete set of recommendations of books and study based on your level. It takes awhile to get to the book recommendations, but it's worth it.

http://chesspowa.blogspot.com/2009/04/k ... ourse.html

p.s. Ken Smith in case you don't know is a FIDE Master, has the Smith-Morra Gambit named after him, and played in the 1981 World Series of Poker Main Event, where he played at the final table with champion Stu Ungar, and took 4th place.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file