$1/$2 or $2/$5 for $500 Buy-in?

thepokermonkthepokermonk Red Chipper Posts: 320 ✭✭✭
I was in A.C. recently and they play what they call $1/$2 "Super" NLHE which means the buy-in is from $100 to $500. I'm wondering what you guys think of this buy-in structure. Should I buy-in for the full amount (normally I would buy-in for $300) or would I be better off just buying in for 100BB at $2/$5? Is it strictly game dependent?

Comments

• jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't think it makes much difference. If you really think it makes much difference due to the way players at the table are thinking about it, then you probably need to find a better table anyway. Obviously buying in for $500 when everyone else has $200 is useless. As the game goes on stack sizes will change, but that would be the case no matter what the original buy ins are.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably start with 200 and see how players are playing. Guy last night had QJ flop was
    Qj2dd turn 7c goes bet call river 8d goes bet shove and guy called all in with top 2. Flop was like four ways so when a guy calls usually someone has a fd. If players are willing to stack off with 2 pair when obvious flush shows up then buyin deeper.
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,876 -
    you can always put more on, you can not take it off.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • dirty moosedirty moose Red Chipper Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I'd rather play deeper 1/2 game.
    Depends on your comfort level.
  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Jeff nailed it...
    having more BB allows you to play more poker
    but if you're the only one with 200bb - you're effectively playing poker at the level of the lowest stack
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭✭
    These are the games I play in all the time. 90% they play just like a 1-2 game without pesky $60 buy ins (just pesky $100 buy ins). A few of the set mining nit regs buy in for 500 and never put more then 200 in a pot without the nuts.

It really only becomes a consideration when a bunch of 2-5 and somtimes tourists buy in for $500. Then these games are soft (at leas tpassive 2-5 games as they think the smaller blind means they can limp a lot more. Ive heard 2-5 players saying things like, " I like this better at 2-5 I only play 2 hands an hour here I can limp a ton". I'm generally surprised at how passively these 2-5ers are here. Many straddle these witch kind of makes it a 1-2-4 where you don't have to put in the 4 and the guy putting the 4 feels he has to play stupidly.

So I would say when they start playing like a 2-5 game its a softer game, but most of the time if you buy in for 500 it never plays. Ive begun to cap off when the table gets deep as my cowardly way of trying to get a bit more confortable for taking a shot at 2-5.
  • Riverboat BillRiverboat Bill Red Chipper Posts: 454 ✭✭
    Eazzy wrote: »
    These are the games I play in all the time. 90% they play just like a 1-2 game without pesky $60 buy ins (just pesky $100 buy ins). A few of the set mining nit regs buy in for 500 and never put more then 200 in a pot without the nuts.
    You just described a guy I know who plays a 2/5 game. He buys in for the max, all nickels. Then he builds towers, looks like NYC. They stay in place because they don't move around. I saw him playing a pot, I know what he has and somebody was giving him their stack. Tower gets taller and he will sit. The chips won't make another appearance until he has the nuts.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file