Video quality

MaxPowerJuniorMaxPowerJunior Red Chipper Posts: 41 ✭✭
I've been a member since the second month and losing interest in keeping membership with the quality of videos for last few months. Where are the serious strategy videos? Adam Jones/split suit only ones delivering and jones all micro online. Originally signed up for Ed's videos and last five have been commenting on tv show. Love Soto is he done with cash videos? More Cardner videos then anything which I have zero interest in. Is this temporary lag or is it time to call it quits? What do other members think? No matter what I will still support some coaches other products but red chip quality continues to go down over last 6 months or so.

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,082 -
    What kind of things would you like to see added?

It seems like you don't love the live content, but that you also don't love the online cash game content...just want to make sure I understand exactly what you are looking for so we can see if our future content can be a better fit =)
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • The MuleThe Mule Red Chipper Posts: 791 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    @MaxPowerJunior , there is a video request thread in this category. I have found RCP very responsive with my requests for microstakes online topics, probably at the expense of topics you'd rather see. You need to get on there and stand up for your own interests !

As my ex-girlfriend used to say, "if you don't ask you don't get".
  • porterporter Red Chipper Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    I've been a member since the second month and losing interest in keeping membership with the quality of videos for last few months. Where are the serious strategy videos? Adam Jones/split suit only ones delivering and jones all micro online. Originally signed up for Ed's videos and last five have been commenting on tv show. Love Soto is he done with cash videos? More Cardner videos then anything which I have zero interest in. Is this temporary lag or is it time to call it quits? What do other members think? No matter what I will still support some coaches other products but red chip quality continues to go down over last 6 months or so.

I'd disagree strongly with the bolded. The recent videos by Adam Jones and Andrew Brokos are top notch and qualify as "serious strategy" in my book. Not sure it gets better than that. I believe Soto has said he plans to release more videos after WSOP, so maybe we can expect something soon.

You may also want to examine your study habits if you are just breezing through videos.
  • ImperatorImperator Red Chipper Posts: 899 ✭✭✭
    I think the coaches stored up some videos before the WSOP. But the WSOP is bound to slow things down a bit. This was a busy time for all of our coaches.
  • Steve007Steve007 Red Chipper Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    As a live cash game player I still find the online cash game videos to be very useful. In some ways those videos might be better because a video about live cash games might be covering info that's too basic for me.

My personal opinion is the site is better than ever because it has way more content than it used to have. If I want to watch a serious strategy video I can always go back and watch an older video and that still has a lot of value. Or I can watch one of the newer videos that come out. There is also the hand reading lab which came out not that long ago.

I also prefer the serious strategy videos the most. I think I'm okay with the commenting on cash games and I find those interesting to watch, but at some point I would like to see Ed make videos about something else.

• MaxPowerJuniorMaxPowerJunior Red Chipper Posts: 41 ✭✭
    I just think there is a clear difference between the videos over the first few months of site and recent months. Look at page 14(at least on iPad) of videos and compare to what is on newest page.

Porter - I gave credit to jones and splitsuit, I did leave out Brokos though he has put out good strategy videos.

I am glad other members are getting what they want out of Red Chip. Out of last 15videos I would say I was a fan of 5 of them:
    Barreling range construction,my range on J84, check flop, Soto vs forum, and barreling range advantage.
  • Christian SotoChristian Soto RCP Coach Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭
    Haha thanks! ^
    I just think there is a clear difference between the videos over the first few months of site and recent months. Look at page 14(at least on iPad) of videos and compare to what is on newest page.

Porter - I gave credit to jones and splitsuit, I did leave out Brokos though he has put out good strategy videos.

I am glad other members are getting what they want out of Red Chip. Out of last 15videos I would say I was a fan of 5 of them:
    Barreling range construction,my range on J84, check flop, Soto vs forum, and barreling range advantage.

Do you not play tournaments much? I actually just play cash games so even though I'll watch a tournament video occasionally, if I had to come up with a list it probably wouldn't be that different from yours. I have a higher opinion of the Cardner videos and the LATB videos, and didn't care too much for that particular Soto video although that was because I disagreed very strongly with his comments on one of the hands. However I do think those types of Soto videos are very interesting.

I'm a little surprised you like the Soto video and not the LATB videos because both of them show coaches making comments on a few hands.

There is one thing I will say which disappoints me about the site. Ever since I first joined Ed has been almost nonexistent on the forums. I would have loved to see him comment on some of the hands. Others like Splitsuit, Soto and Hull participated a lot on the forums but haven't as much recently (maybe they are busier because the site also has the podcasts coming out now; I don't know). When I first joined I thought it was great to see some of the coaches participate so much in the threads. But I also notice some of the regulars from before don't seem to be participating as much and I'm also guilty of that.
    Which hand did you disagree strongly with homie?
  • billconklinbillconklin Red Chipper Posts: 102 ✭✭
    I play only live 1-2 and 1-3 cash, and I have been a member from the very beginning. I am basically very happy with the content, particularly strategy videos. I am not as interested in the psychology material, but i am sure it is of top quality for those who want it.

Under the old method of video release, we always knew the new videos were coming out around the first of the month. Now I am never sure when new videos come, nor am I always able to identify them as new.

It might be a relatively easy matter to send out a group email telling us with new videos are released.

Composing and putting together a new video once a month must be a daunting task. And Splitsuit, for example has many other tasks too. ( He's the only person I know who puts in 38 hours of work per 24 hour day! )

Personally, I think Redchip is a tremendous value and its coaches and materials have helped my game greatly.

-- Bill
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been here, too, all this time. Posting a bunch, being an ass in general.

I will suggest that you are looking at the content skewed by something, because I will tell you something about the video content's quality:

I know you are not getting your usual hit of certain things... but the big picture is that it's the same... if not better.

When Ed Miller is commenting on LATB, he is examining the play through the lens of what he wrote and talked about in stuff you admired. You saw the theory: now live with the reality. It's never as neat and tidy as a slick video or a cool chart makes poker seem, but it's even more real. It's a little, uh, hairy.

Soto never actually did as much cash video as you'd imagine. There is no Soto Golden Years. He played for bubble gum stakes online sometimes and instructed/blew away poor Anton a bunch. There was never some comprehensive Soto Plays Cash series. The Soto Vs. Forum videos may prove to be his most useful yet if he carries on with it. He is not much with technology, it has to be admitted, but who cares? His contributions are huge. He is a real grinder, and his best stuff is ahead, not behind.

The Brokos and and Jones material more than make up for the excellent Cichy stuff, which was a loss at the time but now I can't care. What was his first name? Duck?

Sweeney's stuff only gets better, without any fanfare, which is his style.

Hull's XYZ video was worth months of separate videos and helped interpret the seminal work 1%.

Etc.

So, here is an observation that is likely far more accurate:

You've changed, improved, and need something particular.. what is it?

Ask, demand, rail, whine, complain, scream for that. They want your money, they will give it to you.

Just watched it again and the hand I disagreed with was the first one when hero had QQ. I just think old, tight-passive regs are very unlikely to raise and then 4-bet with AKs and JJ. A lot of them wouldn't even open raise with AK or JJ and don't really like those hands that much unless they get a flop they feel comfortable with first. It can be amazing how scared and nitty these guys are sometimes.

I think much of the reasoning was okay in the hand. I would just range villain differently which changes my opinion of how to play the hand.

persuadeo wrote: »

Soto never actually did as much cash video as you'd imagine. There is no Soto Golden Years. He played for bubble gum stakes online sometimes and instructed/blew away poor Anton a bunch. There was never some comprehensive Soto Plays Cash series. The Soto Vs. Forum videos may prove to be his most useful yet if he carries on with it. He is not much with technology, it has to be admitted, but who cares? His contributions are huge. He is a real grinder, and his best stuff is ahead, not behind.

100% agree that I'm not big with the technology of videos. I try but I'm not the best at it and I don't want to pour in a lot hours to learn how to make it look super sleek. I just hope people look beyond the cosmetics and into what I'm trying to say.

Yeah. It's weird because I released the "Coaching Anton Series" as an inside look at how I approach hand histories with a student. And ideally I wanted to show the progression from Video 1 to Video X.
    I thought it was very valuable at the time and I offered him free coaching in exchange for him being in the video. I agree however that I may have blew him away unfortunately.
    At the end of the day, I think it was valuable. But it didn't pan out as I envisioned. Taking someone from a lower skillset to a very high one before your eyes.

The Soto v Forum series is just my raw thoughts about things I see here. It also very easy for me to make, rather than trying to wiggle with the technology. I'm glad it's going over well.
  • ArtArtBobartArtArtBobart Red Chipper Posts: 356 ✭✭

100% agree that I'm not big with the technology of videos. I try but I'm not the best at it and I don't want to pour in a lot hours to learn how to make it look super sleek. I just hope people look beyond the cosmetics and into what I'm trying to say.

Yeah. It's weird because I released the "Coaching Anton Series" as an inside look at how I approach hand histories with a student. And ideally I wanted to show the progression from Video 1 to Video X.
    I thought it was very valuable at the time and I offered him free coaching in exchange for him being in the video. I agree however that I may have blew him away unfortunately.
    At the end of the day, I think it was valuable. But it didn't pan out as I envisioned. Taking someone from a lower skillset to a very high one before your eyes.

The Soto v Forum series is just my raw thoughts about things I see here. It also very easy for me to make, rather than trying to wiggle with the technology. I'm glad it's going over well.

Dang! Free coaching for being in a Soto Video? I request a "Coaching BoBart" Series!
  • BotswanaNickBotswanaNick Red Chipper Posts: 696 ✭✭✭
    Steve007 wrote: »
    and didn't care too much for that particular Soto video although that was because I disagreed very strongly with his comments on one of the hands.

Just the smallest of nits to pick: Disagreeing with the analysis of a video alone is a poor reason to dislike a video IMO. When a video just spurts nothing but info you already know and agree with, what is the value gained? When you disagree with something, this is one of the best times to think through your opinions, re-examining your assumptions, apply unbiased logic at every step, and reckoning with the sticking points. Whether you emerge with a changed opinion or a reinforced one, surely this has more value than just nodding your head through the whole thing.

• kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been a member since the second month and losing interest in keeping membership with the quality of videos for last few months. ...

What do other members think?

There are some truths couched in a poorly worded public complaint...
    While I've been digging on the Brokos videos (which I've watched a number of times)
    I admit most of the online stuff to be less useful/helpful.
    (if this site is called RED CHIP poker... shouldn't most content be about playing table stakes where red chips are used?)

The "Auto Profit" video was actually quite humorous (probably unintentionally).
    Weasel's later examples came off like Michael Keaton in Night Shift where he tries to explain something and then realizes... oh, that doesn't belong there... in Weasel case... oh, well V had 2 pair - of, course he's calling...no "auto profit" there!
    ...As an aside - it's probably a great drinking game video - take a shot every time Adam says "Automatic Profit" and a swig of beer any time he says "Auto Profit"... I assure you that by the end, you won't care if the quality of videos have gone down.

The Ed & Doug's LATB videos are an interesting concept.. but I agree some fall flat.
    I don't know why we need to see them talk - they could easily just talk over the video or pause it to make a point (see CLP videos on YouTube). Episode 5 was kind of a farce. 22 1/2 minutes spent on two hand? With one of the hands being a reg vs reg goofy hand where Cyrus raised expecting to win the pot - and button defended. Cyrus hits top pair, bets and check/calls the rest of the way. Cyrus and Josh know each other's game. Play together a lot.. no need to spend 13 minutes discussing a hand where Cyrus made a move and got caught and then pot-controlled. Neither were playing optimally or super serious on this hand anyway.

I've been a member for almost a year now and still haven't seen half the stuff I want to. I have watched and rewatched a variety of the videos - have taken notes on many - and have tried to predict the best plays before they happen or are revealed by the coaches. in other words, I've taken these videos as something I interact with not sit and watch passively like a movie. this is probably why I haven't viewed the entire library yet.

That said, I have found the content, forums and friendships to be very valuable. I think there is much to be gained with the forums - as way to discuss videos and extract the most out of them. Sometimes (not often enough in my opinion) the author will show up on the forums and actually talk more in depth about the videos... nice touch.

Okay - so agree not all content is a homerun.
    How can RCP get better?

In the same way folks get antsy when your plane is waiting on the tarmac and nobody know if and when it's taking off... maybe RCP could share a schedule of upcoming content? Maybe a list which topics their coaches are exploring that maybe we can anticipate or contribute with more Qs?

Ultimately - though - not every training site is for everybody. I have visited and subscribed to a lot - but find that this one continues to challenge me and helps me grow. (Sometimes, you may need to leave to discover that what you had was pretty damn good.) Some folks will outgrow RCP. Hopefully we all do and maybe comeback as instructors! Well - that's all I have to say about that.
  • bocky7bocky7 Red Chipper Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

i was wondering what happened to Anton...when i played against him, he seemed to be doing really well....how is he doing?
    edited August 2016
    and didn't care too much for that particular Soto video although that was because I disagreed very strongly with his comments on one of the hands.

Just the smallest of nits to pick: Disagreeing with the analysis of a video alone is a poor reason to dislike a video IMO. When a video just spurts nothing but info you already know and agree with, what is the value gained? When you disagree with something, this is one of the best times to think through your opinions, re-examining your assumptions, apply unbiased logic at every step, and reckoning with the sticking points. Whether you emerge with a changed opinion or a reinforced one, surely this has more value than just nodding your head through the whole thing.

I don't think I'd go as far as saying I disliked the Soto video. When I said I didn't care for it too much I meant I didn't like it as much as his other videos. At worst maybe I felt indifferent about the video (didn't hate or like it). I tend to think his videos are awesome, so if I don't care for a particular video it doesn't mean I think the video is bad. Also, he went over a couple of other hands in the video so it wasn't all just about that one hand.

As to whether disagreeing with a video is a poor reason to dislike a video, I think that depends a lot on why I disagree with a video. I can easily imagine a video having lots of information I disagree with that's bad. To use an extreme example, what if a video has a bunch of stuff I disagree with, it gets me thinking more because of that, but the video is filled with a bunch of info that's wrong that will make some players worse? Just to be clear though, I'm not saying any videos here are that bad lol.

In some videos I'll agree with everything, and the video will say something I hadn't thought of or heard of that makes sense and I'll learn something. I think those videos help me. Videos with hands being analyzed will get me thinking, even if I agree with all the commentary from a coach (and often I'll pause a video to think own thoughts before I hear what the RCP coaches have to say). In those videos the coaches will often point something out that I hadn't thought of and I'll tend to agree with them. So I think some videos can have a bunch of stuff I agree with and still be helpful. However, I do agree that if I watch one of the strategy videos without any hand analysis and it's just stuff I already know that it doesn't help me.
    edited August 2016

Just watched it again and the hand I disagreed with was the first one when hero had QQ. I just think old, tight-passive regs are very unlikely to raise and then 4-bet with AKs and JJ. A lot of them wouldn't even open raise with AK or JJ and don't really like those hands that much unless they get a flop they feel comfortable with first. It can be amazing how scared and nitty these guys are sometimes.

I think much of the reasoning was okay in the hand. I would just range villain differently which changes my opinion of how to play the hand.

I rewatched the video Steve. The issue is that Villain has $110 at a $1/$2 game and once we choose to 3B a hand as good as QQ, I think we have to go with it considering these stack distributions.

3B/Folding QQ for 55BB's could be very incorrect. I did mention if Hero thinks he will not get called by worse, then he should consider flatting pre rather than 3Betting.
  • MtipsterMtipster Red Chipper Posts: 131 ✭✭
    Dang! Free coaching for being in a Soto Video? I request a "Coaching BoBart" Series!
    I think every single RCP member would like it. If Christian decides to restart the series with another guinea pig, there should be some kind of trials, like for US marines rookies, to see who can handle his criticism the best without bursting to tears...
    Are you man enough?!
    Can you handle the truth?!
    :D
    Mtipster wrote: »
    I think every single RCP member would like it. If Christian decides to restart the series with another guinea pig, there should be some kind of trials, like for US marines rookies, to see who can handle his criticism the best without bursting to tears...
    Are you man enough?!

Haha This is great!
    I've been here, too, all this time. Posting a bunch, being an ass in general.

Can I be Colonel Ass?

I have to say that the @SplitSuit , the Brokos, the @Doug Hull XYZ videos, the @w34z3l videos are worth the price of entry.

And the @persuadeo pain-in-the-rear-end comments always make me rethink... So those are worth a provocation or two also. I know we don't pay for the forum the way we pay for the videos but I think that the posters in this forum in the context of the rest of the content are what makes this forum a good neighborhood for education.

• Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with that, i've joined many forums but this one is very friendly, helpful and peoples respect each other.
    Mtipster wrote: »
    Are you man enough?!

Haha This is great!
    I'll volunteer.

• HAKKA-AAHAKKA-AA Red Chipper Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Agree as well with OP. I'm here since the begining and if I was not registered since the beginning , I would not pay for the current content.
    Maybe I'm in the minority and the current content satisfy most of the member...I don't know.
    maybe redchip is not dedicated for me as a MTT player? for sure I don't play live cash so really not interested in LATB, and all stuff like that. I tried to watch it but really not what I'm looking for in a training site.
    Even if I'm a MTT player, I like very much Adam and Andrew vids which focus on the real part of what would be a "training" site. unfortunetely that's only a couple of vids per month. On MTT side, Jordan start good stuff even if sometimes it was a little unclear and messy(some of the questions on the forum remain unanswered) but it looks like he is done?
    Don't want to be tough with Patricia but I'm not interested at all in these videos even if I watched some of them, I don't feel any interest.
    for me in training site, there is the word "training" which is often forgotten and replace by entertaining, merchandising, etc..
    what I would like:
    - concept vids from the basics to the high level.
    - How to study, database analysis for MTT, postflop plays, common lines, exploitation, current trends, profiling players, taking notes; color coding players, cold calling strategy IP; playing the turn, floating, probe bet; hand reading; decision making while playing...poker 1% videos serie; MTT concepts to master; ......

I rewatched the video Steve. The issue is that Villain has $110 at a $1/$2 game and once we choose to 3B a hand as good as QQ, I think we have to go with it considering these stack distributions.

3B/Folding QQ for 55BB's could be very incorrect. I did mention if Hero thinks he will not get called by worse, then he should consider flatting pre rather than 3Betting.

I rarely do it with QQ but I would have at least considered flatting vs. this type of villain. And as I was watching the video, I did think to myself that I might have not gotten into a situation where I would 3B/fold QQ because I might have just flatted there.

Against any other villain I'm getting it in with QQ because of stack sizes, but against this villain I'd make an exception.
    Why think this site has gotten significantly worse? The first year people were signing up there were as few as 4-5 videos a month and the entire site didn't even have more than 10-20 videos the first few months. Now it has A LOT more videos by a larger number of coaches with a couple of videos coming out every week.

It is true that Ed and Doug are doing the LATB videos now, but back when they were doing strategy videos, Adam Jones and Andrew Brokos weren't doing any videos at all for the site. So I don't think the site has lost anything there. And back when Ed started doing his series on The Course, the first few videos were very basic and didn't really do much for me. Sweeney and Soto are still doing videos. I actually really enjoy the videos by Zach Elwood that are helpful to me as a live player.

I think there is some value to going back and watching older strategy videos by Ed and Doug if someone wants to do that. And one can also watch older strategy videos by Brokos and Jones (and others). People didn't have nearly as many options if they wanted to watch older videos in the past.

I'm not trying to give people with different opinions a hard time btw. I notice a couple of posters don't like the LATB videos and the Cardner videos. But even if you eliminate those videos aren't there still as many strategy videos coming out as the site had in the past? The site has more videos coming out each month than it used to; only difference now is you have the psychology videos and the LATB videos and you can skip them if you don't like them. In other words, I think it's a similar number of strategy videos coming out and more videos overall.
    Out of Curiousity, what is the issue with the LATB videos?
    I thought people wanted Live Play videos from what I remember.
  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out of Curiousity, what is the issue with the LATB videos? I thought people wanted Live Play videos from what I remember.

live play videos are awesome
    the hands selected don't always exemplify a concept that we could use (e.g., 3-betting, squeezing, etc.)
    and having the guys talk in their own picture box is before and after is unnecessary
    make video full screen
    all we need is the voice-over... (like you do for forum posts)
    reviewers can introduce the action - and any pertinant information to why certain players are playing as they are in the hand in question. then you could just go into the action and pause as needed. (see CLP videos)
    currently, they feel as if Ed & Doug are just chilling... having a beer and seeing how much time they can use up per hand.
    we should get at least 4-6 hands per 35 min video - no?

Doug's recent "History" was one of the better ones - concise and informative
    Noted. Thanks bro.

I'll just tag Doug.
    @Doug Hull

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file