Bet sizing value vs bluff

kfarris_10kfarris_10 Red Chipper Posts: 7
Just a general question on choosing the optimal bet size for the the goal you are trying to accomplish. When you are betting for value should your bets sizing tend to lean towards the smaller size since we are trying to get called by a wider range and tend to be on the larger side when we are bluffing and want a larger % of oppents range to fold ?

Comments

• kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bet-sizing , unfortunately, is an art... not a formula

I've overbet the pot and underbet the pot to get a call and a fold...
    it depends on your opponents' tendencies, your image, pot size, stack size, etc.

Of course this is more of an "exploitative" approach than GTO
    I've seen some better players that make a consistent 2/3 - 3/4 pot bet on every street regardless of the strength of their hand. In bigger games - that matters. Because you don't want to telegraph the strength/weakness of your hand.

In cash - 2/3 to 3/4 is common. But some of the tournament players are making it more popular to make it 1/2 pot.

"optimal bet size" is the most you can get when you're nutted and the least you can spend to make a bluff work. Online, these numbers should probably converge. Live - they can be worlds apart in low limit games and generate huge profits. But again - depends on how often you do this and what hands you showdown when you do.

BTW - if you only bet your strong hands small and your bluffs large, don't you think your player pool will eventually catch on to this? (unless you play anonymously online)

Sorry - my answer is all over the place.

My final answer is: your optimal bet size should express the relationships you have with the other players in the pot, how they play their hands, how they've seen you play and the strength of your hand... meaning, it depends.
  • Riverboat BillRiverboat Bill Red Chipper Posts: 454 ✭✭
    Usually, ABC big for a bluff, small to get calls. If the pot is 120 in a 1/2 game, you can get an extra 25-30 easy. Money is money. If you pot it, who is calling? If you have a good read and think V has a big hand too then up the price. I like to shove online for value so it looks like a bluff. But online players won't call much anything without the goods, better small value bets.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file