Did I play this ok or did I lose a lot of value?

BertieBertie Red Chipper Posts: 29
edited December 2014 in Online Poker Hands
Player 6 is a nitty player and had a high fold to 3bet.
Player 9 is a much looser player and calls down a lot, but has a high fold to 3bet. He doesn't open limp too much from EP.
With both players calling my 3bet and both with high folds to 3bets I put them on a strong range mainly broadways and AT+ and with some suited connectors 76s-T9s and possibly set mining with 77-99. I felt that they would either 4bet or shove with JJ+ and AK

$4.00 USD NL Texas Hold'em

Seat 4 is the button
Seat 2: Player2 ( $5.21 USD ) - VPIP: 47, PFR: 34, 3B: 19, AF: 3.6, Hands: 321
Seat 4: Player4 ( $4.00 USD ) - VPIP: 8, PFR: 6, 3B: 3, AF: 4.5, Hands: 98
Seat 6: Player6 ( $4.02 USD ) - VPIP: 20, PFR: 13, 3B: 2, AF: 3.4, Hands: 884
Seat 7: Hero ( $5.34 USD ) - VPIP: 27, PFR: 15, 3B: 3, AF: 1.3, Hands: 158306
Seat 9: Player9 ( $3.89 USD ) - VPIP: 41, PFR: 25, 3B: 5, AF: 1.6, Hands: 379
Player6 posts small blind [$0.02 USD].
Hero posts big blind [$0.04 USD].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ :Td:Th ]
Player9 calls [$0.04 USD]
Player2 folds
Player4 folds
Player6 raises [$0.18 USD]
Hero raises [$0.45 USD]
Player9 calls [$0.45 USD]
Player6 calls [$0.29 USD]
** Dealing Flop ** [ :5c:6s:9d ]
Player6 checks
Hero bets [$4.85 USD]
Player9 folds
Player6 folds
Hero wins $1.40 USD from main pot
Hero wins $4.85 USD

I decided to shove on this flop due to it being low connected and I did have some connected hands in their ranges. But also because any J+ paired beats me. So i wanted to put them to a decision on the flop rather than being outdrawn with two cards to come.

Is this the correct play or should I have played the turn and possible river to get more value?

cheers

Bertie

Comments

• GhostEagleGhostEagle Red Chipper Posts: 8
    Without anything idea of what you were really thinking I have to say you took a -EV line because you were scared to lose. IMO. Been there, done that.

Why did you 3 bet an obviously "tag" player? Trying to isolate him, make both players fold, establish a range, value?

If your range is correct you would have 48% equity on flop. But Tag could easily have QQ,JJ, waiting to see flop.45%equity

Need more info.
  • BertieBertie Red Chipper Posts: 29
    Well my first thought was to defend my blind. The EP player limped in and the button raised to 18c. I saw this as a normal open + charge for the limper. The button has a high fold to 3bet as does the EP. So my first plan was to take the pot PF. If anyone called as I was expecting the EP player to call if any of the two would then I have decent equity going in to the flop.

On the flop, I can easily be outdrawn. So I'm scared of that but not losing. Hence me shoving on the flop and let the other two make the hard decision.

Majority of players at these stakes make -EV plays. A lot of players also shove on the flop like I did as well. So I am also asking in general terms if this is a correct play or are we all crazy because it does happen a lot.

cheers
    To answer your original question, yes you lost value. Ep probably didn't limp and call a 3 bet with 47s & 9Ts is im probable because you already have TT. So the suited connectors your worried about just flopped a straight. The tag could have possibly raised with 77/88/99 as protection and would call a 3 bet.

So his 99 has you crushed, the rest give him a gut shot, the SPR is around 2.5. Since tag checked flop I would have checked back hoping ep tries to buy pot with a bet. If he does and tag calls or raises you have to assume your TT is no good, at these stakes he could have done same preflop w/55 or 66. If tag folds then jam Ep and see what happens. Again just my opinion.
  • BertieBertie Red Chipper Posts: 29
    Your opinion is valued and appreciated. Still working on which correct lines to take. when to check back, when to bet and when to raise etc. A lot of players you see comment in the chat box that it's only $4 which is not the point. But this is the mentality at 4nl and the reason why there are a lot of -EV plays. I'm sure I'm not the only one losing value. You see a lot of shoving of stacks with only 18c in the pot as a lot of players want to win hands regardless of pot size rather than wanting to win money.

Thank you for your comments, its nice to get feedback.

Bertie
    I am presently playing between 2nl and 10nl depending on which are softer or "table" available at the time. I have learned from observation that all-ins after the turn card has come means "I have the Nuts".

I have made the mistake of thinking they can't "bluff" me and call. I of course lose a boat load of money.
    I have a line I want to take when I start a hand, but that line can change due to cards, opponents actions, rearranging opps.range due to actions..ETC.Never due something because thats what "they" say to do. Follow your instincts, gut feelings, first thoughts whatever you want to call it, They are 90% right.

I like to think about a line I want to take in a hand like I am crossing the street. I get to the corner and evaluate the situation. Look both ways( who am I playing, what do they usually do in this situation)
    did I hit the flop or did my opp?. Dont step off the curb if the "bus" is coming..etc. I think you get the idea. Have Fun and continue to learn. The best advice I ever got was don't play robotically or from a chart, every hand is different and you cant play them the same. Thats what makes poker Fun & Exciting

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file