How to reply to threads.

Riverboat BillRiverboat Bill Red Chipper Posts: 454 ✭✭
When a player makes a post about a hand or some aspect of poker, it's usually because something did not go right. I think we all have hands where we had KK and the flop was K,5,9 and we were clever enough to win the hand. I don't think we are going to grow by discussing that type of hand.

On the other hand, there are hands where we did not play the hand so excellently. Maybe, we folded the KK because we were afraid that the turn would be a 9 and the river would be a 9. Thus giving our opponent quads. So, we might not have played that hand as well as we could.

So, we come here to discuss where we may have gone wrong. I think the last thing one would need is to be raked over the coals for making an error. Maybe other posters could be of more help to say, when I had a set of K's on that kind of board they held up. Maybe, share your positive experience.

Now, some people think it makes them look smarter to suggest that anybody who folds a set of Ks on a board like that is mentally challenged. But don't you think most astute observers have reached that conclusion. Then by blasting the poster for lack of competency really serves little purpose.

Comments

• fishman88999fishman88999 Red Chipper Posts: 44
    I don't follow every thread but when did any of this negative behaviour happen?
  • kytmagickytmagic Red Chipper Posts: 204 ✭✭
    I guess you're referring to @persuadeo 's style of responding to some posts here? He enjoys giving tough love.

For me personally, some posts are huge turn offs because they are really just looking for people to validate their play. Some OPs ask a question but then state that Villain is an idiot who made a horrible call. That doesn't really set up good grounds for healthy discussion to begin with.

Anyone who doesn't understand how bad variance can get should play with the PokerDope calculator.

http://pokerdope.com/poker-variance-calculator/
  • Riverboat BillRiverboat Bill Red Chipper Posts: 454 ✭✭
    No @kytmagic , I am speaking in general. I have seen forums turn into battles over bs that end up making them unreadable. Posters who were friends become enemies. I don't see that as anywhere near possible of happening here. I made my first post at 2+2 and I needed counseling to get over the responses.

There are always going to be conflicts that are personal between a couple of posters every now and them. But understanding is much better than adversarial help. If you know something, share how you learned it. Maybe someone needs to be beat over the head to understand a point, that's when you can send a private message.

Of course, what I think is only my opinion.
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,876 -
    We are trying very much to keep these forums positive and friendly. The mods PM people that violate the friendly and helpful nature we are trying to foster.

Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • Steve007Steve007 Red Chipper Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    No @kytmagic , I am speaking in general. I have seen forums turn into battles over bs that end up making them unreadable. Posters who were friends become enemies. I don't see that as anywhere near possible of happening here. I made my first post at 2+2 and I needed counseling to get over the responses.

There are always going to be conflicts that are personal between a couple of posters every now and them. But understanding is much better than adversarial help. If you know something, share how you learned it. Maybe someone needs to be beat over the head to understand a point, that's when you can send a private message.

Of course, what I think is only my opinion.

Posting online does require some thick skin on sites like 2+2. I had a poster there around 2-3 months ago keep responding to my posts in a thread with a really nasty, condescending attitude. He knew more about the game than I did and talked to me like I was a complete idiot and deserved to be treated like an idiot. He also did this to a couple of other people in the thread. He actually misunderstood a lot of what I was saying and would respond to me with an angry tone and almost made me feel like I did something wrong if I didn't know as much as him. I just realized he was a jerk and quit responding to him.

Another guy made a couple of nasty comments to me because he tended to be blunt and kind of mean at times (that was part of his posting style occasionally) and I got the feeling that he just disliked me after reading some of my other posts.

There are a lot of internet tough guys that act like warriors behind the keyboard and almost seem to be looking for a confrontation. But remember that just because they are real warriors behind the keyboard, it doesn't mean they are ex military guys, or play in the NFL, or fight in the UFC or anything like that. They tend to be nobodies that are trying to act like they are somebody.

If you're a beginner, posting probably takes even more courage in my opinion.

Personally, I've gotten a lot out of posting on 2+2, but when I knew less about poker I remember being anxious about trying to participate there. I would often read other responses first to make sure my answer wouldn't sound stupid.

This forum is definitely friendlier though and I like the fact that I can read posts from some good players that I don't see on 2+2 (or if they are on the other site, I don't see them posting hands about NL cash games there). It can be interesting to post a hand I played and see the responses from different players on different forums.
  • ImperatorImperator Red Chipper Posts: 899 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I have found even when we get heated this forum has been fairly friendly. l know a moderator on reddit and nothing like the crazy stuff she runs into happens here. I have stated some controversial views from my first post on and yet the best people here have treated me both respectfully and seriously.

Given that I'm sure I annoy some people and they restrain themselves.

On specific hands I can argue strongly and wrongly. But I try not to make it personal.

It's better here than practicality any other place I've posted and this includes philosophy sites and mathematics list serves. But everywhere bad and impolite things are said sometimes.

• AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kytmagic wrote: »
    I guess you're referring to @persuadeo 's style of responding to some posts here? He enjoys giving tough love.

For me personally, some posts are huge turn offs because they are really just looking for people to validate their play. Some OPs ask a question but then state that Villain is an idiot who made a horrible call. That doesn't really set up good grounds for healthy discussion to begin with.

Anyone who doesn't understand how bad variance can get should play with the PokerDope calculator.

http://pokerdope.com/poker-variance-calculator/

im sorry :) LOL I do look for validation, but welcome tough love and constructive criticism. A little (or a lot) stubborn at times, but a lot of my decisions are range, math, and combo based. I am trying to grow out of this as persuadeo, sotto, and others have said I need to stop with my combos and mechanics and focos more on perceived ranges, lines, and what I am actually repping or their repping.
    This site is special. If you read it, you will find some really inciteful posts. There are some threads here that debate higher level thought about the game of poker. Just reading those threads has helped me to see a direction(s) I want to develop my game. It's amazing how players can be playing the same table, but the games being played are vastly different.

You can't be a level above where you are successfully without developing through the previous levels. Like at the table, players are at different levels. I was having a great day one afternoon online. One of the other players commented to me that I could be having a great game, but I might not be playing that well. Jealous!

I have come to realize now that I have learned a lot of things today, I didn't know then. Luck could have been shining on me and I thought it was my expertise. But I could hear him because he didn't scream that I was a donkey.
    I think we are all a bit more alike than we admit or realize. That's why I love responses that use me and I. The authoritarian answers I give to others never really help me. I think I learn from others difficult spots when I introspectively examine my own game.
  • ImperatorImperator Red Chipper Posts: 899 ✭✭✭
    That's why I love responses that use me and I. The authoritarian answers

How about the "royal we."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file