Tournament play, call or fold

IznogoodIznogood Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited January 2015 in Online Poker Hands
Hi. I played this hand on a new computer, and I had forgotten to save the hands locally, so this is from memory.

I was in a big online tournament (app. 13.000 players), and I made it to be in the last 80 or so players, which is fine. At the time of the hand, I was around no. 20 of the 80 players left.

I am in late position, and raise an EP limper with 7s6s from the CO. One of the blinds call as well as the initial limper.

The flop comes Qs 9s 2s (or something close to this). So I have got a flush, allthough it is not the top end flush.

The three players in the pot have a very similar stack size.

The initial limper goes all in after the flop. If I call and loose, I will be out of the tournament. If I call and win, I will have doubled up. I can also choose to fold as I still have plenty of chips, and will get a lot more money if I survive another 30 mins, and wait for an even better spot to get my chips in.

I was allready in the money, but because of the tournament structure, surviving just another 5 - 10 mins would win me a lot more money.

The question: Should I call this all in with my low end flush, or just become really tight and only get it in the nuts, and try to make it to the final table play

Thanks in advance

Comments

• rocky ricocorocky ricoco Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
    You flopped the world and while its possible that the limper has a bigger flush, would he play it that way if he did? I'm snap calling this expecting to see a hands like slow played AA , :Ks :Q? , :Js :Q? or a set.
    We really need to build our stack if we want to win and this seems like a good spot.
  • IznogoodIznogood Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Hey Rocky.

Thanks for your reply.

Glad you aggree with my play. Cause I did call, and yes - he did have a better flush.

Guess if I had won the hand, I would never have posted it, so ...
    ---
    Bad beat story, just because I need to share this with people who understand:
    Just home from a live game with some old workmates. Manage to get all in preflop with my AA, and have to callers holding KK and T9s. The T9s hits a straight on the flop, and the KK guy hits a set on the turn. I was the dealer, and there was no money involved in any way, so I am quite sure, there was no cheating. Next time I will go all in with 27o instead of AA.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snap call. I kind of like how the villain played it, because it doesn't look like he has it.

Remember, tournament payouts are heavily skewed toward the top, which means you have to take some risk to get there. Cash game EV is straightforward, tournament EV is hard to figure out.

If you are playing in a tournament with 100 people and the top 15 spots pay, then you can play conservative/solid and come in 40th, 14th, 30th, 25th, and 11th. That is a pretty good record, most people would think. But the guy who comes in last, last, last, last and first will completely crush you.

So you have to go for it sometimes, and this would obviously be one of those times IMO.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file