Isolation Ranges and Limp Along Ranges

moldyfishmoldyfish Red Chipper Posts: 83 ✭✭
edited February 2 in General Concepts
Hey peeps,

While building my preflop ranges, very much based on the strategy put forth in the Course, I was having to adjust them to respond to limpers in front as an opening range does not account for these things. I wanted to post my isolation ranges vs. my limp along range and see if you all had any thoughts in terms of frequency issues and hand selection/balancing.

EP Open (14.3%): 22+, Any Two Broadway suited, A2s+, AQ+, 76s+
EP Iso (6.6%): 99+, ATs+, A5s, AQo+, KJs+,
EP Limp Along (7.7%): 88-22, A9s-A6s/A4s-A2s, KTs, QTs+, 76s+

CO Open (22.2%): 22+, ATBs, A2s+, ATo+, K7s+, KJo+, Q9s+, 43s+, 53s+
CO Iso (12.4%): 99+, AT+, A7s/A5s-A2s, KJ+, T9s/87s/54s
CO Limp Along (9.8%): 88-22, A9s-A8s/A6s, KTs-K7s, Q9s+, JTs/98s/76s-65s/43s, 53s+

BTN Open (33.%): 22+, ATB, A2s+, A7o+, K2s+, K9o+, Q5s+, J7s+, 43s+, 53s+, 96s+
BTN Iso (18%): 99+, ATs+/A5s-A2s, A7o+, KJs+/K5s-K2s, K9o+, QJs, JTs, 97s/75s
BTN Limp Along (15%): 88-22, A9s-A6s, KTs-K6s, QTs-Q5s, QTo+ J9s-J7s, JTo, 43s+, T8s/86s/64s-53s, 96s+

This is all assuming the players in front are limping wide ranges and I have no reads on steal frequencies of players behind. Let me know what you think.

-Christian

Comments

• AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭✭
    Why not iso entire range?

Unless there are a bunch of short stacks or you are going to face a backraise often probably best to raise entire range and pick up dead money. Think of the hands you are limping behind. Those are the hands they are limping with as well and even wider. If stacks are 100bb there are three limpers playing $1\$2 you are in the CO if you raise to $18 do you think they will all call? Just try and pick up the $9 already in the pot and if not a small cbet can take it down when they limp call and miss 70% of the time.
  • KrisKris Red Chipper Posts: 58 ✭✭
    I would pretty much echo what Austin is saying here. Raise those marginal hands or fold them. Pump it or dump it!
  • NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭
    Same as above. If you plan on opening a hand if people fold to you, your plan shouldn't change just because someone limped. Just make sure to compensate for limpers by making your open raise larger. Unless you have a specific plan for a certain scenario, you shouldn't limp some hands and not others. This is called forking your range and an observant player will pick up on this and exploit your play.
  • moldyfishmoldyfish Red Chipper Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    To the above assumptions,
    "An observant player will pick up on this and exploit your play." An observant player will also pick up on that you raise 33% of your buttons to $18 and exploit that through 3betting your range made up of 9% nut hands. An observant opponent looking for where my range forks is not necessarily in my default assumptions of a $1/$2 or really even $2/$5 tables. Raising my whole range would tend to be more of an adjustment than a default strategy.

It's also not simply, limping some hands and not others as it's situational to the action in front. I also disagree that your opening range should be the exact same whether there are 2+ limpers before you or not.

Austin, it seems like there are sort of two schools of thought regarding preflop play on here. Usually the dividing point comes with liking or disliking multiway pots. Do you see less value in being able to take hands with large implied odds cheaply to the flop, allowing yourself room to be raised and still play them?

For example, 3 limpers in front and I limp the button with 44, someone makes it $15 in the blinds. Assuming $200 stacks, I have the implied odds to make the call. Assuming $300 I'd have implied odds with hands like 87s. Whereas, I have incorrect implied odds to make the call if they reraise my $18 to $45 with hands like 44 and certainly 87s or A4s.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm fine with limping 22-88 behind, but i'm also fine with raising it. Some of the other hands like Kxs, 43s, 53s etc I believe those should either be raised or folded. You will not flop well enough to continue post flop and its hard to bluff with these hands multiway. It's best to raise them and go to the flop 2 or 3 ways, or better yet take it down preflop.

I don't think you should iso your entire opening range. I believe some of your open range just needs to be folded vs limpers rather than limping behind
  • moldyfishmoldyfish Red Chipper Posts: 83 ✭✭
    Word! Thanks for that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file