Preflop spot with AK

theClubbertheClubber Red Chipper Posts: 167 ✭✭
Villain 1 - 36bb

High VPIP, limps lots of crappy suited hands fron lots of positions. Ex J5s UTG1 but raises stronger hands. Has a hard time folding one pair.

V2 - older very passive guy. Gives up before lots of rivers, doesn't bully. He's at 1/3 starting stack with 11bb

Hero 42bb. Got off to a bad start i folded to pressure to get to 1/2 starting stack. Since then double with premium and chipped up more.

History - villain limped behind then called my cutoff raise. Flop 766hh he checked then called my 2x jam 75s to double me up.

Unsurprisingly his stack has been up and down like a yoyo.

Preflop. Villain raise 2.5x UTG. hero calls UTG1 AKo folds to cutoff where v2 shoves 11bb. V1 tanks before calling.

Fold, jam or call?

Comments

• theClubbertheClubber Red Chipper Posts: 167 ✭✭
    Fwiw HPT live $300 multiday event. Lots of local regulars but way softer than Vegas daily
  • NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭
    Jam. I'm not risking 1/3 of my stack to see a flop when I'm going to miss most of the time and you are flipping with V1 at worst but could possibly have him crushed.
  • BotswanaNickBotswanaNick Red Chipper Posts: 696 ✭✭✭
    This is a mandatory shove IMO. I would prefer a 3bet to a flat originally, but with the open coming from UTG I can understand calling. Effective stacks are 36bb, AK is happy to get in preflop even factoring in the original open is from UTG.
    Calling obviously worst of three options. Curious if fold better than jam.
    You cannot fold this hand in this spot. I think folding is worse than calling. Shoving clearly best.
    Argument for fold - hero has direct position and skill edge over very loose fish. That advantage much greater at 40bb than 8bb if i double him up. Old dude has lots of aces in his range, which cuts into equity vs pairs (although fish could have dominated aces)
    Even if you are up against a pair and a smaller A, you still have plenty of equity to get in. And what about when you are up against 2 smaller pairs, or Ax and Kx? And also, what about IF UTG FOLDS, then its an equity bonanza.

Sure its nice to have 40bb and an edge, but I'm assuming this is a live tourney with a bad structure. Its not like you are just going to own these guys with that stack size and get tons and tons of free chips. I don't think that can outweigh the equity your are sacrificing by folding.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once he tank calls im jamming. If he had a strong hand should only take a few seconds to call or raise. If sb had say 40bb and shoved and utg called 40bb i could consider folding cause 40bb shove is much stronger hand in general.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file