Flopped flush on monotone board

theClubbertheClubber Red Chipper Posts: 167 ✭✭
Line check
1/2 120 effective 3 limps complete SB Kc9s
Flop QdJdTd bet 10 cutoff button call
Turn (35) Ts bet 21 button calls
Rivet (75) 7s check she bets all in fold.

Comments

• NotamNotam Red Chipper Posts: 53
    edited August 2016
    I think there is an argument to fold pre here. Yes, you are getting good odds but the hand is very hard to play oop and will get you in a lot of trouble. You are also playing with a short, 60bb stack, which limits your upside.

I'm not sure what to say about the post flop play, but it certainly does illustrate the challenge of playing oop here. I'm not all that worried about a better straight, as most AK will raise pre. I think there may be an argument to play this a bit more passive with maybe a turn check/call (check/fold river), as they way you played this has you pretty close to committing yourself to the pot, as you are now getting $163/$88 = 1.85:1 to call and your river check is asking to be bluffed with a missed flush. (I think most villain are less likely to bluff two streets here).

The river fold is pretty player dependent. If i have seen and volume of large bluffs from this villain, I'd consider a hero call have to only be right ~35% of the time. Without any reads, i'm folding following Ed Millers general advise that there are not enough big river bluffs in most 1/2 games to make hero calls a good idea.

Again, fold pre (or play a larger stack)
  • NotamNotam Red Chipper Posts: 53
    BTW, you flopped a straight on a monotone board, not a flush (but you knew that).
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are you checking the river?

I think checking the flop is a little better because any draw your up against is most likely a combo draw. Check flop and see what develops and go for two streets of value on the turn and river. Checking the river may of induced a bluff, so i prefer a bet fold in general.
  • ChibberChibber Red Chipper Posts: 378 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Generally, I would say pre flop is raise> fold > call.

Flop bet is good, Turn bet is fine, River check is bad (sometimes we value own ourselves), but I would call off here as I think you're definitely good in this spot 50% of the time.
  • BotswanaNickBotswanaNick Red Chipper Posts: 696 ✭✭✭
    In a 1/2 game, I would disagree that raising this hand from SB into 3 limpers is best (or good at all). I don't think you can expect to generate enough folds, then you are oop multiway with bad hand.

I too think you need to call river even if its a crying call.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file