Wanted to say.....HEEEYYY

pokerpunk86pokerpunk86 Red Chipper Posts: 22
Hi everyone,

I'm new around here so I just wanted to introduce myself and say hey. My name is David and I've been playing poker for about ten years. However, starting TODAY I've decided that I'm going to take it serious even if I'm very limited to the number of hours I can play. I have been playing live 2/5 no limit hold em for about the last year. I've done alright, doing better than BREAK EVEN, but I've just played by gut a lot and haven't kept track of winning and losing stats. However, starting today I want to change that.

I usually play overnight at my local card room on the weekend, and sometimes during the week. I feel like sharing my progress and discussion my play on this after each session will keep me on the right track and give me a sense of accountability to how I play.

I'm going to start a tumblr as well to blog my progress as well as share poker info and such.

So, anyways after all that long winded talk I just want to say hey and I look forward to being a good part of redchip.

Any tips on where I should start my studies with the what the red chip site has to offer?

Also, what is the best APP I can get to track poker sessions? Something I can use on my phone or ipad would be great.

Comments

• RoyRoy Red Chipper Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Hi Pokerpunk,

Welcome. I track all of my live sessions on RunGood for iPhone. I find it covers all the bases and is super easy to use.
  • pokerpunk86pokerpunk86 Red Chipper Posts: 22
    Great. I'll look into it . Also, how many hours do you think is a good basis to judge how I'm doing? 100 ?
  • RoyRoy Red Chipper Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Im not much of an authority on this but I have about 1100hrs logged in RunGood so far and would probably still consider that way low to have any real idea.

Knowing the type of feedback that fellow RCP posters give Id imagine we'll get some feedback soon enough.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,082 -
    Welcome to the party David!

As for your hours question, 50k hands is a starting point to gauge things. In a live game where you see 30 hands/hr, so it would take over 1.5K hours to start judging things.

So judging live results and winrate potential is a waste. Focus on your decision making and improving your play and your winnings will handle themselves over the years to come.
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • pokerpunk86pokerpunk86 Red Chipper Posts: 22
    SplitSuit wrote: »
    Welcome to the party David!

As for your hours question, 50k hands is a starting point to gauge things. In a live game where you see 30 hands/hr, so it would take over 1.5K hours to start judging things.

So judging live results and winrate potential is a waste. Focus on your decision making and improving your play and your winnings will handle themselves over the years to come.

Yeah , I'll stick to hand by hand and sessions for now lol.

• NealNeal Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Welcome pokerpunk86! I'm relatively new to RCP as well but even in my short time here I consider it one of the best group of players around. All are willing to help.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have some leaks in my game that I feel I am slowly plugging each month here.

As far as hours splitsuit nailed it right on the money. I've had 200 hour heaters and 200 hour downswing and 200 hour break even sessions.

I would say 1000 hours to determine if your a winning player or not. You would need couple thousand to get an idea of where your win rate is at.

Best place to study i feel are on the forums. A lot of tough spots imo. Post a lot and read a lot!

Good luck

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file