I found myself unsure of whether to check or bet here.

Rezzen42Rezzen42 Red Chipper Posts: 82 ✭✭
Merge - $3.00+$0.30|<> NL - Holdem - 8 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4: http://www.pokertracker.com

BTN: 4.35 BB (VPIP: 26.98, PFR: 9.84, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 63)
SB: 12.06 BB (VPIP: 16.67, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 54)
BB: 24.6 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 4)
UTG: 37.37 BB (VPIP: 21.79, PFR: 7.79, 3Bet Preflop: 3.70, Hands: 80)
UTG+1: 53.36 BB (VPIP: 40.00, PFR: 10.77, 3Bet Preflop: 4.76, Hands: 65)
Hero (MP): 44.17 BB
MP+1: 14.87 BB (VPIP: 15.87, PFR: 12.70, 3Bet Preflop: 4.00, Hands: 63)
CO: 44.75 BB (VPIP: 19.30, PFR: 11.50, 3Bet Preflop: 6.98, Hands: 116)

8 players post ante of 0.1 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.3 BB) Hero has :Ad:Th
fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.5 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, BB calls 1.5 BB

Flop : (6.3 BB, 2 players) :Ah:Ac:Jc
BB checks, Hero bets 4.2 BB, fold

Hero wins 6.3 BB

There are draws and second bests and betting the flop is what i would prbly do if i missed this board as the PFR and was checked to. So that disguises my hand, but im folding out a ton of his range that didnt hit and could catch up a lil on the turn. I know this spot is so basic but I need input.

Comments

• purdrewpurdrew Red Chipper Posts: 48 ✭✭
    I'd bet, but probably a smaller amount like 1/2 pot given the short stacks...maybe 2.5bb. Plus it will give JX a better price to call, which is what we want with our strong hand. Default against an unknown with a value hand should be to bet.
  • Briax24Briax24 Red Chipper Posts: 44 ✭✭
    A bet here is profitable there is plenty of worse that can call. There is some chance this guy peels with a few Broadway gutshots which is great for us. All of his Jx and some underpairs are calling. I think you get called 35-40% in this spot by a range you are crushing. With that said you have a tough time getting more than 1 or MAYBE 2 streets of value here. This begs the question.... which streets do we want to get value on? I think waiting a street isn't too bad. whatever the turn card is your still doing well against his range. I'm starting to wonder if the best way to get 2 streets is to check this flop and bet turn and river. Some broadway clubs seem like bad cards but sometimes they improve his hand in a way that makes him call turn when he was folding flop. Also I think you are more likely to get 2 calls from Ax that's worse if you wait a street.

In the interest of balance this hand cant be too terrible to have in your check back range. This way if you check back the flop your not auto-folding to a aggressive line by Villain.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If he raised and you stacked off against AQ would you ask if you should of checked?

Your hand is strong and usually worth 3 streets of value. Only way to get that is to start betting.

If you had Jx or A2 i might check back but other than that im betting nearly all my range here. He's calling from the bb so he should have a wide range including fd and worse aces.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file