Hand Reading study: Lab vs. Workbook vs. (...?)

chip_hoggchip_hogg Red Chipper Posts: 81 ✭✭
After my first live card room experience, I realized I needed to seriously improve my hand reading skills. (Was playing my own cards far too much, with only the barest thought of my opponents'.)

I'm ready to focus on this skill and invest time and money -- but I'm trying to figure out which resources are best for that investment.

- The Hand Reading lab? http://www.splitsuit.com/the-hand-reading-lab/
- The Hand Reading Workbook (with or without the Masterclass)? http://redchippoker.com/workbook/
- Something else?

For reference, the hand reading lab ($500) would take virtually all of my bankroll -- I'm very hesitant to invest that much right now. The Workbook Masterclass ($300) is somewhat more palatable, although it's also a stretch. And of course, the bare workbook ($60) is no problem.

I'm sure I can't be the only one who finds these excellent hand reading resources a bit hard to navigate as a buyer! :)

So, for people who have tried any of these (and especially for those who've tried more than one) -- how does their value stack up?

Comments

• tfaziotfazio Red Chipper Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    Yes, yes and yes
    I found all of these products a great value
    Seems like a lot of money at first but nothing compared to the cost of live coaching or worse loosing two buyins
    James spent a lot of time planning these products and they are packed with value.
    Definitely +ev
  • chip_hoggchip_hogg Red Chipper Posts: 81 ✭✭
    Thanks for this. Any comments on the relative value of the lab and workbook? What does each provide that the other lacks? If I needed to start out with just one, does one of them stand out, or can I really not go wrong with either?
  • thepokermonkthepokermonk Red Chipper Posts: 320 ✭✭✭
    Hey Chip,
    I hear what you're saying about the price. I totally want the hand lab but just can't justify taking that much out of my bankroll right now. For just this reason, I've been working on an intensive hand reading learning project that incorporates Sweeney's book and a bunch of other really cool resources. Take a look at it on my blog and let me know if it helps you out.
    thepokermonk.com/
    That said, I think SplitSuit's hand reading lab would be a great investment and would pay off huge in your game. Don't think you can go wrong either way.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,034 -
    edited September 2016
    They are both very different.

The Hand Reading Lab: This is a complete training course that teaches you the process of hand reading from start to finish.

Masterclass Combo: This contains videos from my private mastermind where I worked with students on going through various exercises in the workbook and it also contains some videos where I shared my answers for certain exercises.

Overlapping content: My Hand Reading webinar comes with both and the Masterclass combo includes two videos from the Hand Reading Lab (one about using Flopzilla and another about using HoldEQ).

If you aren't 100% sure, I always suggest starting with the workbook. If you get 15 hands into the workbook and find yourself utterly confused and lost, the Lab is likely for you (and there is a $50-off code for the Lab in the Recap section of the workbook). If you get through the workbook and feel pretty confident, skip the Lab imo.
  • BoilerAceBoilerAce Red Chipper Posts: 400 ✭✭
    I'm really happy to see this thread. I almost posted something similar myself...so thank you chip_hogg. I'm in a similar situation...I need to get to that next level. But there are so many products out there and as you said, the total of those products can be expensive. I wonder sometimes if all of the products, software, and memberships are worth it and how much table time I will actually need just to offset the cost of the training stuff.

I find myself trying to figure out other peoples hands when I'm not in the pot, but rarely do I do that when I'm in a pot except the basics...and I'm not really that good at it. The Hand Reading workbook might just be my next purchase....because it will force me to actively study instead of passively study while teaching me something I desperately need to learn.
  • itsgoldenitsgolden Los Angeles, CARed Chipper Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    eBook/PDF vs paperback question here...

I'm set on buying the workbook and would prefer the paperback on amazon ($69.99)to be able to write in it but I see the eBook + flopzilla + custom flopzilla ranges package at https://www.splitsuit.com/hand-reading-poker-workbook-live-players/ for $99.99 which looks like a great deal. I have a kindle and have most of my books on there so reading on it wouldn't be an issue but for something like a workbook it seems that a paperback makes more sense.

For those of you that got the eBook, what did you think? Would you have gotten paperback instead? Am I able to print out the PDF to be able to write in it?
  • itsgoldenitsgolden Los Angeles, CARed Chipper Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    sorry all, meant to post the comment above on the "Grab your copy of the Hand Reading Workbook!" thread, please reply to this comment on there instead
  • Matthew EbersvillerMatthew Ebersviller Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
    ..."and there is a $50-off code for the Lab in the Recap section of the workbook"

@SplitSuit: Is this also in the 6-max workbook?
    ..."and there is a $50-off code for the Lab in the Recap section of the workbook"

@SplitSuit: Is this also in the 6-max workbook?

Yes sir.
  • Matthew EbersvillerMatthew Ebersviller Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Thank you. Purchased both the 6-max workbook and the HRL. I was on the fence about the HRL, particularly because it didn't come with either the live or 6-max workbook. With the code, it was almost like getting the workbook for free with the lab. That pushed me over the edge.
    Thank you. Purchased both the 6-max workbook and the HRL. I was on the fence about the HRL, particularly because it didn't come with either the live or 6-max workbook. With the code, it was almost like getting the workbook for free with the lab. That pushed me over the edge.

Woot. Enjoy them Matthew!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file