I should have called my draw..."mis-click"

bardorodeobardorodeo Red Chipper Posts: 32
Situation. Day 1A of Venetian $150K. Level 5.

My starting stack: 16,000, Level 5 200/400 with a 50 ante. 10 handed.

I call an early position raise of 800 with JsTd from cutoff. Bad Loose Maniac on his third re-entry calls from button. Small Blind, good TAG player calls. Big Blind, Weak Passive, Calls.

Pot: 10 X 50, +5 X 800 = 500 + 4,000 = 4,500.

Flop: Qc9d6c

Opener checks, I check. Maniac on button bets 1,500. Small Blind TAG raises to 6,500. Big Blind folds. What would you have done? I have 15,200 left. Pot is now 1,500 + 6,500 + 4,500 = 12,500. Choices are Fold or Shove in my opinion. I think calling is the worst option.

I fold and Maniac on button shoves a starting stack of 15,000 and the TAG calls. The 8d hits the river which would have given me the straight. The maniac missed his nut flush club draw. The TAG wins with KcQd.

I think I made a huge mistake as I was getting better than 2 to 1, almost 4 to 1 on my money with the two allins behind me. Plus, this particular tournament encourages loose and fast aggressive play to accumulate chips because of the three starting day 1's, 30 minute levels, and a rather flat payout structure where typically you don't get into three digit payouts until you get past 20th place.

Aggression, looking for AND taking good-value risks are how you final table large field MTT's. I reverted to my cash game tight style and missed a great opportunity to accumulate chips. I didn't have clubs so I knew that 2 of my outs were probably no good, so I folded.

Moral of the story: if you aren't willing to take these types of risks you shouldn't be playing a tournament.

Brad

Comments

• kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    think you're being results oriented here.

if one player has the Q and the other has the FD -
    then you've got 6 outs not 8. (actually 5 cuz the guy with the Q has one of your K)
    so you're not 32-ish% to win, but more like 25-ish% to win.
    (with the actual number being less)

you're getting just under this.

if you had :JC: :TC: then I'd see your point.

but as played, I think a fold is fine.
  • NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭
    I fold pre. As played folding flop is the best move. You have enough blinds left to wait for a better situation.
  • bardorodeobardorodeo Red Chipper Posts: 32
    Thank you for the feedback. I agree I'm being a bit results oriented. Folding pre is probably best as JT off is usually behind a early open raise. Plus with maniac on the button should have known that it was likely to become a big pot and avoided a difficult situation in the first place. Thanks again. Brad

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file