What are his errors and how to exploit them?

ThorThor Red Chipper Posts: 41
edited February 2015 in General Concepts
Hello,

I want to start a series of threads. I want to be able to spot errors in each hand, and then know what the counter strategies are.

Here is a sample hand.

$1/3 no limit...stacks $300-600
3 limpers
Small blind raises to $16 :Js:Tc
2 callers
:Kh:Qd:5s
SB checks- checks thru
:Ad
SB checks, check, button bets $20
SB calls
River :Qs
Checks thru

please list error and or counter strategy

Comments

• ThorThor Red Chipper Posts: 41
    Some noticble errors

1) Villian raises out of position for bad value

2) Villian does not semi bluff draws as continuation bet

3) Villian does not fight for bloated pot he created

3)Villian slow plays nuts on turn

4) Villian does not protect his hand against draws

5) Villian does not value bet

6) Villian does not felt without the nuts
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,057 -
    Hey Thor. Here are my thoughts in video-form. Enjoy!

[video]
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thor wrote:
    1) Villian raises out of position for bad value

IMO this is part of a class of errors that bad players make that is difficult to actively exploit. By that I mean he's making a mistake, but you can't really actively do anything about it except be at his table and hope you get in a hand where you collect some of his spewed value. Let's just say for sake of argument you were in this exact hand, and let's just say that the bad player lost $10 of value on this hand by raising it like that out of position. If you're the best player in the hand, maybe you get $3 of this value.

So it's not a lot of money, and you can't really force it. Of course for some hands this is part of a chain reaction, and he might compound this error later, but generally I think it's one of those things where you just have to be at the table with this guy until some of his lost equity starts to trickle your way from time to time. Other types of value are more easily exploitable with specific actions at specific times during a hand.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And if I'm wrong and someone thinks there's a specific exploit during the hand, let me know :)
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,857 -
    jeffnc wrote:
    And if I'm wrong and someone thinks there's a specific exploit during the hand, let me know :)

I think about this a lot

I have been playing a lot of $1-$2 lately so that I can document the errors that I see at the tables. I keep asking myself, "If this is the error, what is the exploit?" I am not sure there is always an answer to that. Like Miller says in the Hold'em Made Simple videos, playing too many hands simply makes the money available.

In a similar way, I think a lot of the mistakes just "Make the money available", there is no specific universal adjustment to certain classes of errors.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • ThorThor Red Chipper Posts: 41
    A video reply!!! Thank you so much. I was thinking that nobody else was interested in this topic. Thanks for the forum and thanks to everyone for your thoughts.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,057 -
    Thor wrote:
    A video reply!!! Thank you so much. I was thinking that nobody else was interested in this topic. Thanks for the forum and thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

You're very welcome Thor!
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭✭
    I love this kind of thread...thanks for starting it...and I hope to see more.

For me I make major adjustments immediately when I see hands like this.. and keep making the exploits and assumption until I'm proven wrong.

Splitsuit seems to take the other view, weighting for confirmation...I think this is a harder way to approach it...when I take that approach confirmation takes much longer (its easier to disprove an assumption then to prove it)

The exploits here are pretty easy...(I like to go overboard with hand reading, as it tends to get you to good hand reading faster, sometimes with some mistakes but eh.)

1) Too me preflop he makes weak raises...I don't really agree with splitsuit plan to increase my value 3 betting...If I 3 bet AJ I expect him to fold JTo...I would increase my 3 bet bluffs (attack his weak range)...and increase my calling range KJo type hands...until I see he is calling 3 bets light...

2) he should be easy to hand read....he seems to play draws passively and big hands passively trappy. So whats left when he raises and bets out...one pair hands and air ....Given that his raising range is wide this has to be a pretty weak range and I can put some pressure on when he does bet out...float a lot raise some flops...that kind of thing....

Moreover when a draw comes in on the turn I can safely bluff with it as he does not have draws on the flop when he bets out.

Since I can hand read him better I'm more inclined to call more hands against him preflop with position...This is also another reason I prefer to not increase my 3 bet value range,

3)..he slow plays so I'm going to thin value bet less (Ed had an article about dealing with slow players in Card player a couple of month ago).

Sure these extrapolation may be a bit over the top given one hand, maybe he plays differently HU, or maybe he check fold air hands.. or whatever...but making these reads, and watching his future play by putting him on hands by the above assumptions..will quickly allow me to improve my reads on him.
  • Napoleon54Napoleon54 Red Chipper Posts: 26
    Am I the only player who plays w/ fish that raise a hand like this and then call 3 bets with it? I feel like I see this happen regularly by recreational players, tourists and loose weak fish. Yes, the games in Vegas are tighter than where I normally play but I saw this type of player last weekend down there.

I agree w/ SplitSuit that you widen your value 3 betting range b/c he is going to call w/ a lot of his weak opens, especially when we are in position.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file