Things as a beginner to focus on

Robert BilskiRobert Bilski Red Chipper Posts: 4
So I'm just a beginner with not even complete basic knowledge. I'm playing at micros and I try to get as much knowledge value as I can during the play, but there is so much I feel I'm doing wrong that I don't really know what should I start with. So what's the most basic thing that I should work on during my hand analysis? I know this question may sound stupid but I just want to ensure myself I'm going into world of poker the right way. Thank you in advice for anu answers.

Comments

• tfaziotfazio Red Chipper Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    Hey perfect timing listen to Dougs podcast this week introducing the crash course.
    Give it a listen it will help to head you in the right direction
  • thepokermonkthepokermonk Red Chipper Posts: 320 ✭✭✭
    For me it would be creating a sound preflop starting range. A lot of mistakes postflop seem to be a result of preflop mistakes, especially in the beginning of your poker career. Having a solid preflop starting range can keep you out of a lot of difficult situations later in the hand. Obviously there are a ton of different aspects of poker you could focus on, but that's where I would start. My recommendation for starting there would be to use Ed Miller's The Course, but there's a ton of material on preflop ranges all over the internet, including a video or two on RCP if I'm not mistaken.
  • LukaLuka Red Chipper Posts: 216 ✭✭✭
    I would ask "why" a lot.
  • tripletiretripletire Red Chipper Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    For me it was shoving ranges when short stacked in MTTs, they are the most mathematically figured out of all the ranges in our poker world.

They are incredibly useful for understanding the basic "why's" behind a lot of poker math, and create a nice foundation you'll be able to use right away.

Here's a great example:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hHM04qRKysOVj0IoiW6EZpWFSVB2U3Oscg4-B2_0xog/htmlview?hl=en_US&sle=true&pageId=112063081298304087246#
  • DandolosDandolos Red Chipper Posts: 62 ✭✭
    @tripletire Did you learn the ranges by heart? And if you did, how did you do it?
  • Robert BilskiRobert Bilski Red Chipper Posts: 4
    Luka wrote: »
    I would ask "why" a lot.

Of course I do that, I'm just askin which "why" to respond first :)
  • Christian SotoChristian Soto RCP Coach Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭✭
    Have fun

Never stop doing that.
  • tripletiretripletire Red Chipper Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    @Dandolos

Not quite, but I have a rough outline of it in my head. The most useful part of learning these ranges as a beginner is understanding more fully how to tighten and loosen depending on the position and stack size.

I think the best way to memorize something like this is to have a strong base understanding of what a 10% range is vs. a 20%, and all the others of course. Once you know which hands are best, you can memorize the percentages of what your range should be in each position on this chart.

Cheers
  • DandolosDandolos Red Chipper Posts: 62 ✭✭
  • AlpineCurtAlpineCurt Red Chipper Posts: 62 ✭✭
    I recently got past the total beginner feeling of being overwhelmed at the amount to learn and feeling lost. Some things to keep in mind and focus on:

Practice discipline and self control as much as strategy. Learn to deal with long stretches of being card dead. You'll get bored and it will be SO tempting to do things like open with KJs from UTG. Like @bardorodeo said in #6: remember that poker is about making correct +EV decisions every step of the way. If you find yourself doing things and you can't explain why, take a step back and regain control and focus. Learn to deal with bad beats and being coolered. Understand they WILL happen. When they happen, think of them as a time to practice your self control and put it to the test.

Agreeing with @bardorodeo's #5: stick to micro stakes cash games. You're going to make a lot of mistakes and lose a "lot" of money (relative to your starting bankroll, not in absolute amounts). This is okay and part of learning. Better to make these inevitable mistakes at $.01/$.02 than $1/$2. Micro stakes cash tends to be less of a circus than micro tournaments.

The enormity of the learning task at hand is daunting. I love the saying, "How do you eat an entire elephant? One bite at a time." Pick one thing at a time to practice. While doing this you will find obvious weaknesses in your game which will give you an idea of what to focus on next.
  • El LadnamEl Ladnam Red Chipper Posts: 37
    first, look for reasons to fold. You are dealt AA, there is no reason to fold, so you raise, etc...
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Hey Robert, i would say, play. A lot. And as Christian Soto wrote, have fun doing it. Than by playing you'll notice spots where you feel uncomfortable, lost. Take notes about those spots and seek advices. Try to find ways to be comfortable in those spots. That way the theory of the game will present itself naturally to you and here at RCP, plenty of players will give you great answers, tips and hint on what to look for. But at the beginning you got to play to get a good feel about the game, the dynamics, how it affects you etc. The more and more you'll play you'll see what to look for. This is all based on the fact that you got a basic knowledge of the fundamentals of the game of course.
    I started looking at the Crash Course last night. What a great format to solidify a newer player's knowledge base. There is so much information here and it can run the gamut from beginner to advanced it is hard to stay focused. Anyone that wants to build a solid foundation or just review would benifit from this series. Kudos for Red Chip for laying it out for us.
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭✭
    For me it would be creating a sound preflop starting range. A lot of mistakes postflop seem to be a result of preflop mistakes, especially in the beginning of your poker career. Having a solid preflop starting range can keep you out of a lot of difficult situations later in the hand. Obviously there are a ton of different aspects of poker you could focus on, but that's where I would start. My recommendation for starting there would be to use Ed Miller's The Course, but there's a ton of material on preflop ranges all over the internet, including a video or two on RCP if I'm not mistaken.

I agree with this. Start preflop . Sure in theory preflop is dependent on how you play post flop, but since you don't have a great post flop game "yet" having a sound preflop strategy makes learning much easier.

I would however disagree with using the course as a starting point.....it is not an easy range to play well postflop, and will get you into a lot of tough spots. Instead I strongly recommend the range Ed Miller suggested in his poker made simple series....you can find it here.

http://www.notedpokerauthority.com/free-stuff

Read his articles on building a range, over and over till you under stand why you he recommends these hands, and you will have a great starting point for developing your game.

After watching the second video in the Crash Course on Pre flop ranges from the video companion series "The Course" I found it instructive to go back and reread the chapter in ED's book and input the suggested ranges in Flopzilla. The big takeaways were realizing how loose I was giving action and 3betting against tight players as well as how passive I was playing in the blinds against steal attempts.
    How an unstudied player thinks, the third video in the "Crash Course" live series is eye opening. Understanding how the average low limit player thinks even after many years of experience is valuable as a starting point to be able to exploit these type of loose passive players. Caution It is just as uncomfortable watching it a second time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file