057 - Playing Online Poker Without a HUD

This week's podcast comes courtesy of a question asked by @BoilerAce in regards to playing online poker without a HUD.

@SplitSuit breaks down the various considerations behind why we might eschew a HUD, and what the impact on our game is likely to be. Listen now and let us know what your thoughts are on the matter in this thread.
Red Chip Poker

Comments

• BoilerAceBoilerAce Red Chipper Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    Wow! I can't wait to hear this. Thanks guys.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,082 -
    You're very welcome, and thank you for starting such an awesome conversation =)
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • BoilerAceBoilerAce Red Chipper Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    I listened to the podcast yesterday and of course found it very interesting. After thinking about what you said, I'm definitely going to pony up for my PT4 license to at least continue to track, analyze, and improve my game. Also, it will allow me to much more easily post my trouble hands to the forum. For those two reasons, as you said, software is definitely worth it.

I still don't plan to use the HUD for right now but maybe I can ease into it over time. You're comment about you sitting at a live table and seeing numbers above everyone's head is interesting, much like you said in another podcast that you see the flopzilla chart in your head when playing live.

Where I was going with my no HUD use and if you guys can beat online without a HUD...in my mind, I wanted to be able to judge my current level and improvement based upon what I could beat online (without HUD). I had a lot of trouble with 100NL & 50NL HUDless when I started so I had to move down to 25NL where I seem to be even. If 50NL is tougher than $1/$2NL and I can someday beat 50NL online without a HUD, I know where my live skill level is...I've improved. If I can beat 100NL without a HUD and absolutely everyone is using HUD's (and it's a super tough game), then I know I've really really improved and I'm going to do well live. I'm purposely handicapping myself for training purposes to be better equipped at the live game.

Your reasoning though accept the online game for what it is (and join in), is pretty compelling though. Maybe someday...:)
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I din't listen so far to the podcast but planning on doing so. Reading your post the first thing that comes to mind is this. Players at NL50 start to become, as we read on forums, a lot better. They study the game. They Study the players pool. They study you if you are a reg at their game. So imagine the enormous edge they got tracking your stats when you don't because you don't want to play with a tracking software. It just don't make sense to expose yourself like this.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file