Session Dynamics

SullySully Red Chipper Posts: 780 ✭✭✭
edited January 2015 in General Concepts
I am relatively new and am interested in a discussion on session goals and dynamics.

What session goals,if any, do players set:

profit goal? time goal? play until lose sharpness? buy ins lost? Play until ahead no matter what?

what percentage of sessions are winning sessions?

Do players ever feel session flow is important:

i.e.-start winning, keep playing. No cards in 3 hours to start, lost minimum amount, time to go?

In the stock market one trading strategy is to dump your losers early to limit the downswing and let your winners run (with appropriate stop loss to lock in gains.

I'm wondering if over time players have made adjustments to how they approach individual sessions

All thoughts appreciated

Comments

• jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it depends on what type of person you are. If you like regimentation (like you go to bed at 10:30 every night and get up at 6 no matter what), then you might be better off setting time limits. If you get emotional and tilt, you might be better off with limits based on attitude. Personally, I'm flexible, so it's all about what else I have to do and how good the game is. I do have emotions like everyone else, but I don't really tilt away money. If I'm frustrated, I tend to get very determined and just grind.

If you are asking literally how much I win, it's about 2 out of 3. Sometimes I have longer win streaks, like 5 or 6 in a row, and based on how bad the other players are, I get a feeling that I should just never lose. Then when I lose 2 or 3 or 4 in a row, I get this frustrated feeling like I just can't believe I got beat by those bozos that much, and why is the world doing this to me? Obviously that's a mathematically small number, but still :)

The stock market strategy you mentioned is pretty much meaningless IMHO, in both stocks and poker, at least in the simple form as stated.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file