Getting check-raised on the turn

Eager StudentEager Student Red Chipper Posts: 66
edited July 2014 in Live Poker Hands
2-5 Venetian Las Vegas
Sat in on 9 handed table in the cut-off with 200BB. Folded the first 5 hands as did the player to my right. She was young (30 something). She had 5 stacks of red chips and 3 $10 chips on top (from the 5-10) game 106BB. She was reading her phone most of the time during the first 5 hands. As UTG she open PFR 3BB, I 3Bet 9BB A :diamond A :club , all others folded she called pot 19BB. SPR 5 Flop K :heart 5 :diamond 3 :heart . She checked. My 3Bet value range is AA,KK. My buff raising range is 16 combos. For that day I chose A2s-A5s total 32 combos. I chose to CBet 10BB with 70% of my range. I chose to bet AA, A2s, 2 combos of A3s, A4s (22 combos). My check back range was KK, A5s and 2 combos of A3s (12 combos). She called my CBet. Pot 39BB. I estimated her range was AK, KQ, KJ, QQ, JJ, TT, 99, 88, KK, 55, 33, A2s and 76s. I thought it was unlikely that she would open PFR UTG and call a 3Bet with K5s, K3s, or 53s. The turn was 4 :diamond . She checked, Keeping in mind the importance of maintaining a 70% frequency, my CBet hands were AA, KK, A2s and A4 :heart A5 :heart .I CBet 20BB, she quickly check-raised to 46BB. I put myself in a tricky situation by betting 20BB as I was putting about 40% of her stack and should be committed if I do so. This is where I get confused. With SPR 5 is it correct to commit with over pair AA against an unknown. I adjusted her range to KK, 55, 33, 44, A2s, 67s, K :diamond Q :diamond , K :diamond J :diamond , Q :diamond J :diamond and bluffs. I was way behind that range.

I feel like I should have checked the turn to avoid the check-raise and to keep all the hands in I'm beating (AK,KQ,KJ,QQ,JJ,TT,99,88) I felt like she could call a bet on the river with any of those hands, but would bet a set, straight or bluff on the river and I could call a reasonable bet. I would appreciate feedback concerning my betting ranges, amounts and resolving the issue of frequency verses SPR considerations.

Thank you,
Eager Student

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,032 -
    Welcome to the forum Eager!

As to the hand, I think the range you are assigning is too wide. A player that spends the first 5 hands flipping through their phone isn't someone I would assume opens A2s or 76s from UTG.

I like your turn bet personally. Second best hands can certainly still call (KQ, AK, JJ-type hands, etc.). The CR on the turn reps the 6 combos of 55/33, 3 combos of KK (assuming you think she doesn't 4bet it PF or open it larger from UTG), and that's about it for nutted hands. That being said, I'm not sure this player check/raises AK after you've taken this line AND they just flatted the 3bet AND just check/called the CB.

I vomit/fold here (assuming the CR range doesn't have enough bluff combos or combos of Kx/JJ) and feel comfortable with it
  • Eager StudentEager Student Red Chipper Posts: 66
    Hi SplitSuit,

Thank you for your quick reply. I appreciate it.

Eager Student
  • Christian SotoChristian Soto RCP Coach Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭
    "I vomit/fold here (assuming the CR range doesn't have enough bluff combos or combos of Kx/JJ) and feel comfortable with it" - Split

I agree with that. I like your turn bet as well. You are not going to get C/R'd enough of the time for me to worry about it. You max value and also prevent them from actualizing their equity for free with your Turn bet.

If they are not C/R'ing you with enough bluffs then you are not forced to call here. :-) Bet/Folding becomes OK.
  • BakuninBakunin Red Chipper Posts: 19
    I understand the logic of what you are saying and I am not disagreeing, but I think I would have played this hand differently. I would have CBet 15BB, which would have created a 49BB pot had she called, leaving her with 82BB behind. Then with a 35BB turn bet to a check, I think she would have come along with enough second best hands for it to be correct for me to create a situation in which we are both pot committed at that point. Then again, lots of players in my game think they have the nuts with AK or KQ or even KJ in that situation, so this may be a YMMV situation. What do you think?
    @Bakunin

Considering that UTG opened to 3X and it did not get called super multi-way, in fact it folded around, shows the game dynamics to be very tight. In games like the ones I play here on the East Coast, I would agree with you to just blast off because they will continue with all sorts of hands.
    However, given the nature of this hand/dynamic, I'd be careful tipping off your hand with strong-side bet-sizing tells.
    In general, I would agree with you though. :mrgreen:
  • Eager StudentEager Student Red Chipper Posts: 66
    Hi Bakunin and Christian,

Very interesting ideas. Thank you for you feedback.

Eager Student
    You got it! Keep them coming. Woot Woot! lol

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file