NL5 6max RUSH, betting turn is worst ever ?

dissectiondissection Red Chipper Posts: 63 ✭✭
edited March 2015 in Online Poker Hands
Full Tilt, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, Rush, 6 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (SB): $5.89 (117.8 bb)
BB: $5.73 (114.6 bb)
UTG: $6.48 (129.6 bb)
MP: $6.42 (128.4 bb)
CO: $4.52 (90.4 bb)
BTN: $6.63 (132.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Jspade4.gif Adiamond4.gif
3 folds, BTN raises to $0.15, Hero calls $0.13, BB folds
Villain is 32/27/3/ over 1200, 48 steal, 12,1 3bet, 57 TOT fold to 3bet, OR from BTN 36. We have ~57-58% equity against his OR BTN range(s) (I tried several ranges, mixing it up with particular holecards and there were always similar results). So I'm calling because I have middle strenght hand + only worse will fold and better continue if I 3bet. That's my usuall auto-pilot thinking. BUT ! Looking at it now (and working with HoldEq) I can see 57 folding to 3bet is not that bad for me. It seems he can continue with worse, so we could have still ~54.2% equity pre. Sample 1200 seems solid .. but on the other hand I think I shouldn't take this 'fold to 3bet' so seriously, since I can see there he folded pre to 3bet 1x on BTN and 11x on SB. So I'm still not decided whats better. Im more inclined to still just call after thinking about this.

Flop: ($0.35) 9heart4.gif Jclub4.gif 2heart4.gif (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN checks
I check to the raiser. If I would be IP and he would check to me I would definitely bet something ~80% of the pot, since HoldEq says we have 76% equity, but back than I was feeling I have value hand on scary board. So in this case I would call his cbet. But he checks too. Not sure on what range I should put him on. Let's say he would check some showdown value hands (pocketpairs, 9x, J with weak kicker?) AND straights. Maybe he wants to see the next card for free. I think he would bet almost all value hands and flash draws. But I really don't know. How should I construct this range ? I struggle with this :)

Turn: ($0.35) Qclub4.gif (2 players)
Hero bets $0.21, BTN raises to $0.98, Hero folds
Backwards, looking at the hand now, I think betting this turn is a spew :D Why ? Because this is one of worst carads for us ott. It completes straights or it gives additional straights to his pairs (hands like TQ). He is betting ATs, QTs and other Tx suited, he also could have straight already (T8, KT), he will bet his two pair now (QJ) (which he prolly wouldn't bet on the flop? dunno).

Comments

• dissectiondissection Red Chipper Posts: 63 ✭✭
  • dissectiondissection Red Chipper Posts: 63 ✭✭
  • BotswanaNickBotswanaNick Red Chipper Posts: 696 ✭✭✭
    Pre-flop: I would strongly consider 3betting this pre-flop. From the small blind, I have been working on having as small a calling range as possible, especially against a single raiser (this strat suggestion comes from Andrew Brokos and others). It is very difficult to call profitably out of the SB because everything is going against us: we don't have position, we will not close the action, and our calls will sometimes (often?) induce squeezes from big blind. So I don't think the call is terrible, but I would look for excuses to 3bet unless you have something specific you know from Button that would cause you to flat instead. AJo is significantly ahead of his range, but at these stack depths, it is going to be very difficult to play post-flop, so we would rather just take it down now. If he is calling the 3bet wide, then we can take comfort knowing he is calling with hands we dominate (KJ, AT, etc).

On Flop: I think check is fine, I don't have a donking range in this situation. When you say that you would have bet 80% of pot if you were in position and checked to due to your 76% equity, that makes me worried that you are choosing your bet-size based on the the strength of your hand. I think this is very dangerous, as it will give away tons of information to opponents who are paying attention. If you are going to vary your bet sizes, I would only consider doing so on later streets (especially the river). Cbets happen frequently enough that opponents will have many chances to pick up on this tell, and once they do they can crush you. If you are going to vary your bet size, do so based on the flop texture and your range rather than your specific hand.

As to villain's range after checking back, this is hard to narrow too much especially at these stakes. Against a good player in a blind v button battle, I would read this check to mean he does not have top pair or better, a strong draw, or total air. Most players will be betting all of these on the flop. But the problem is that different types of bad players will check with completely different ranges. There are some that get very trappy in these situations, so their checking range will actually be very strong, while there are others that just bet any decent hand and give up otherwise, so their range would be weak. Without history with the player, I would not narrow his range too much, but assume there are fewer big hands and big draws in the range.

Turn: You are right, this is a pretty bad turn card. Even if he doesn't have any strong draws on flop, he could easily still have a Q. and could now have a straight as well if he checked a gut-shot such as KT. But our hand is still quite strong for a button v blind situation, so I would prefer a check-call here. Sure that allows plenty of hands a free card to catch up with us, but it is more important to protect our stack and not allow him to put us in a bad situation, which is exactly what he does with his raise. As played, at these stakes and without any read that villain is bluffy, I think I would fold to the raise. Calling the turn and either check/folding or check/calling river could be best against certain aggressive opponents.

Overall, this is a perfect example of how hard AJ can be to play OOP in a wide-range situation like this, which is why I would 3bet:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file