Involuntary Extended Layoff

mdw72mdw72 Red Chipper Posts: 141 ✭✭
This topic is my immediate future in poker but I thought it might be a possible podcast topic. Very curious to hear your thoughts.

I assume I am just like many of you poker is a hobby, possibly a second job, but definitely a passion in your life.  However, like me, you have a day job which puts the roof over your head and food on the table. My job requires travel and many times I am lucky and there is a poker room in the area where I travel to so my play schedule doesn't get interrupted.  However, I also travel to places where there are no poker rooms and I have never been much of an online player.  When at home I play at least once a week but two or three times is more the norm.  On nights I don't play I study for about an hour. It fills the void when I don't have a place to play. My normal work trip is a week or two but I have one coming up where I will be at a location for about 4 months and poker is not a possibility, live or online.  So I was wondering do how you handle a long extended break from the game?  I have taken smaller breaks when I was running bad, but nothing like 4 months. 
Have you had such a break?
What did you do when you when you started back up?
Did you play on line for free just to burn through hands? 
Did you use software like Advanced Poker Training or Poker Snowie?
Did you drop in stakes?
Did you binge?
What were your results? 

Comments

• eugeniusjreugeniusjr Red Chipper Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    Every year for the past 5 years I have taken 4 months off of poker (tax season). It's been good for me. I usually come back to the game better than when I left.
  • MelMel Red Chipper Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Had breaks like this. Little noticeable affect, honestly.

I know you don't like online and I understand. I played bovada here and there and the play was much like live. (Still not the same)/

Prob with playing VS bits is they just don't play like real players. This tends to throw my reads just a little until I readjust.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file