WAY TOO AGGRESSIVE

Joshua BJoshua B Red Chipper Posts: 127 ✭✭
I have a massive leak in my game of being too aggressive and try take down too many pots. Because of my aggression my opponents look me up light and I spew away too much money. When I am really really focused I dont have this problem. I believe I can read most situations well. I play 25nlh and most of the players are straight forward.

I have put sticky notes on my computer screen warning me about over bluffing or thinking everyone is bluffing me and have tried meditating before sessions. Does anyone have any exercises I can do that will help me train myself not bluff off as much.

An example of this is this hand:

Villain MP $34.52 Straight forward player. he raises $0.51 with mid pockets and suited JT-AQ. TT+ he opens $0.70-$1.00 strength dependent.

V opens $0.51 in MP. Hero $42.10 :8s:9s Calls. Blinds fold

Flop $1.37 pot :Td:7c:3S:
V cbets $0.75 (he has 58% cbet) and Hero calls. This board and bet hasnt narrowed his range but the T and 7 hit my range hard as a LAG

Turn $2.87 pot :Ts
V checks, now narrowing his range to mostly A high and 33-99. He would usually bet turn if he had anything, but could be slow playing a set. Hero bets $1.43, V tanks and calls. Now I put V on flush draw and 33-99. My plan is fold to his river bet or bet if he checks.

River $5.73 :Ad
V checks again and Hero bets $4. V tanks and calls with :6d:6c . I was stumped by this call. My read was correct and he still called.

This happen to me multiple times last night. I find it hard to adjust to calm my aggression when they call me light and then i get tilty and blow off more when im in the hole.

Sorry for the long post, any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,034 -
    Sometimes you build a really correct range and they just happen to have different folding frequencies than you would have preferred (or originally guessed). Just learn from it and make sure to thinly value bet vs this player in the future.

As for how to improve your bluffing skills, keep working on your math and hand reading. Once both are solid, you feel much more confident about your trigger pulls and won't second guess them as regularly.
  • Joshua BJoshua B Red Chipper Posts: 127 ✭✭
    Ok, thank you splitsuit for your advice.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,034 -
    Joshua B wrote: »
    Ok, thank you splitsuit for your advice.

You're very welcome =)
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭✭
    When I read your hand, I can see how Villain can call here : for the same reason you bet: he see you (or are you?) straightforward.

If I put myself in villain's shoes:
    - You call from a late position (you didn't say exactly where) and you didn't 3-bet. So I would see you range preflop as wide but without big pairs or strong broadways:
    f5e5lp9mj4xw.png
    - you call on the flop. I discard the set and let a really loose range: top pairs, pp below tp, middle and weak pairs, all AX (which are weak A) and KJ/KQ/QJ, OESD, gutshot. It's 93,5% of the previous range
    - you also call on the turn. I might discard you having a T because you neither raise the flop and the turn. I think you would fold the no made hands on the 2nd barrel (so all A and broadways) and always continue with PP below TP, middle pairs, weaks pairs, OESD, FD and gutshot (46% of previous range).
    - On the river, the A might give you a pair (with all AXss which would have called the turn with nut FD), otherwise weak pairs and no made hands. So in my head you have either a lucky A, a veeeeery sticky 7X / 88 / 99 or hand than I beat (busted FD/OESD). Overall my hand still has a better equity (58%).
    iaglbrr9jxwx.png

I might be scared of 7X/88/99 but I still would call.

I think the problem here is the hand your rep, because of flatting preflop and then on the flop and turn: I don't see enough A in your range to scare me and I would doubt you would bet for value (~70% of the pot) only with 7X / 88 / 99.

Important note: if we assume you would call TX on the flop and turn, value-betting your set on the river, a call with 66 (equity of the hand = 40%) is still a +EV call !
  • YoshYosh Red Chipper Posts: 580 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I think this hand was very well played, and would secure a fold from 66 a large percentage of the time. As @SplitSuit mentioned, it's critical to immediately adjust to counter the opponents strategy. He likely saw you as a bluff heavy player to make the call, and certainly this hand solidifies that read. You now have license to value bet very hard.
  • foxxxerfoxxxer Red Chipper Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Red wrote: »
    I might discard you having a T because you neither raise the flop and the turn.

He called flop and bet turn when checked to. I think he has a ton of Tx in his range. I played a hand yesterday in almost the exact same way with almost the exact same runout with JTs.

edited November 2016
    foxxxer wrote: »
    Red wrote: »
    I might discard you having a T because you neither raise the flop and the turn.

He called flop and bet turn when checked to. I think he has a ton of Tx in his range. I played a hand yesterday in almost the exact same way with almost the exact same runout with JTs.

I agree with you.
    I was assuming this because @Joshua B describes himself "being too aggressive" thus I assume he might raise TP (flop) or at least the set (turn).
    Nonetheless, the last call (Villain on the river) is still, imho, a +EV call - if Hero is too aggro and bet his busted draws and weak pairs when Villain check.
    Hey guys, thanks for the feedback.

@Red Thank you for your in depth analysis. It is definitely appreciated that one would take much time to show ranges. Would it really still be +ev calling down after I barrel the river? I dont have access to my flopzilla but just my Tx range is wide enough (when flatting from btn. Sorry i forgot to mention it) not to mention that I would usually flat 77-99 against an open and AX that I would bluff turn and hit river including suited. I just cant see this being +ev. None the less, I still thank you for your efforts in breaking the ranges down.

@Yosh Cheers mate. part of problem is adjusting to them calling me light and spewing.

@foxxxer Hahaha, I hope you got paid off.

edited November 2016
    Joshua B wrote: »
    Hey guys, thanks for the feedback.

@Red Thank you for your in depth analysis. It is definitely appreciated that one would take much time to show ranges. Would it really still be +ev calling down after I barrel the river? I dont have access to my flopzilla but just my Tx range is wide enough (when flatting from btn. Sorry i forgot to mention it) not to mention that I would usually flat 77-99 against an open and AX that I would bluff turn and hit river including suited. I just cant see this being +ev. None the less, I still thank you for your efforts in breaking the ranges down.

It's my analysis but it's subjective - and I'm no pro :)

Is it +EV for Villain to call with 66 ? It really depends how loose and sticky you are / are seen i.e. the equity of 66 v. your range (ofc you see yourself with 9 :SPADE: 8 :SPADE: but Villain don't see them; he sees you with a range).

In my analysis (based on what you said), I put you on call with all draws (OESD, gutshot, FD) and weaks pairs (66, 55, 44, A3 and 22) which 6 :DIAMOND: 6 :CLUB: beat them, making a call +EV. But it's only because I think :
    - a) you will too sticky (=continue too liberally with worst hands)
    - b) you are too aggro (=bluff-bet a lot + raise/C-R if you get something)
    - and c) you've capped your range (by not raising preflop, flop and turn, esp. for someone "too aggro")
  • SullySully Red Chipper Posts: 777 ✭✭✭
    I think the line is good but the bets sized too small.

IMO turn should be at least 2/3 pot or more and same for river
    @Red- Now i can see why you believe its +EV. Thank you

@sullyooo usually half pot is my go to bet for most flops unless really draw heavy. I wasnt expecting a call after he checks and is still cheap enough for him to call with his 66 and for me to punish him on the river if i hit. I doubt a 2/3 pot would kick him out. If he call 50%, he will probably call 66%. Thanks for your opinion, any feedback is appreciated
  • Andrew MalewskiAndrew Malewski Red Chipper Posts: 70 ✭✭
    That's a pretty standart bluff against straightforward guys. You're definitely not overbluffing that turn given the fact that you have equity and you can rep stuff at rivers which gave you another bluffing opportunity. Size wise, I think you should've chosen bigger bets here, that might be the issue why he has called you down.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file