Elements of Poker Podcast episode

tfaziotfazio Red Chipper Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
Thanks Doug, Lots of gems in this book. Tommy Angelo is truly the Yoda of Poker.
It's the deep level of understanding that I am most impressed by.

"34....That is why, when you bet or raise, there is strategically nothing to
anticipate except a raise, and therefore, if you have not anticipated
a raise, you not only made a mistake, you made the only mistake
possible " Tommy Angelo - Elements of Poker

"31...We can fold our “away games,” our bad positions, and thereby act
last more often than we act first, and thereby create an advantage."
Tommy Angelo - Elements of Poker

Just a few morsels. A quick read but very thought provoking. The thoughts stay with you.

Comments

• joesizejoesize Red Chipper Posts: 126 ✭✭
    The book is timeless. In one section he proves that streaks; i.e., down swings, heaters, etc., don't exist. Well, they do, but only in your mind.
    His other book, A Rubber Band Story, is good, too. There is a good review of it on Thinking Poker. If you read it and like it, there's another book you'll not want to miss. It's Shut Up And Deal, by Jesse May.
  • ChipXtractorChipXtractor Red Chipper Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭
    His new book has an official release date now. He talked about it on the recent Thinking Poker podcast. Very much looking forward to 'Painless Poker' in all ways. lol
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything too good to be true usually is.
  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "painless poker" is supposed to be a fictional tale about poker players who seek advice. so from what I understand - it's really more creative prose than a poker strategy manual.
  • tfaziotfazio Red Chipper Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    After re listening to Doug's "Poker plays you can use", I have the audio version (yes there is) on my phone and listen to it countless times while driving to play, I cant help but recognize the Angelo inspired wisdom in the second part of Doug's book which involves missions. In a recent session I followed his mission and refused to limp. Then I refused to call raises and 3 bets OOP. What a difference, The concept of folding all your away games. The exercise really gives you the power of acting last. Sorry Doug I limped in once w/ K9s in EP flopped a FD + Bkdr straight draw, turned the world and stacked villain. Poker in a vacuum.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file