Just qualified for tournament waaaay above my league, what to do?

MtipsterMtipster Red Chipper Posts: 131 ✭✭
OK, so I'm playing exclusively cash, 10NL at the moment. MTT didn't attract me at all at the beginning, but after trying few freerolls, I found some fun in it. I never put any real work into it, just watched Gripsed MTT course and explored very few spots where I was calling shoves too wide. Usually, I get promotional tokens for small stakes tournaments between 1$ and 10$ buyin, I just play my cash game early(I feel I even got an edge at this stage) and try to apply what I learned from Gripsed later, it works OK at those levels, I even managed to win two of them for $200 and $95 despite never buying in for real cash.
Today I got promotional offer, free satelite entry, and managed to place 16th of about 1K field and qualify.
Tournament i qualified for is $500 000 guaranteed, buyin of 215, so it's way above my level. What should I do? Try to find someone to play it instead of me? Or just give it a try and challenge my luck? Even a mincash would be something like 200 buyins of my current stakes...

Comments

• bocky7bocky7 Red Chipper Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
    play really tight and in position as much as you can (at the beginning of the tourney) and don't get looser till the blinds start to be a problem and you can't go wrong , no matter what the level .
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did the same thing back in the day. I remember not even knowing what we were playing for and asking in chat. Just play on. Tournaments are soft.
  • Blake Van NessBlake Van Ness Red Chipper Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Play it yourself man study stick with your strategy and have confidence you got this G gl
  • dirty moosedirty moose Red Chipper Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    What to do??? Bink the mother fucker
  • MtipsterMtipster Red Chipper Posts: 131 ✭✭
    OK guys, tournament is on Sunday so I have some time to study MTT crash course a little, I lose 2 days of my cash game play and study which is not much (and I'd probably waste some of it on watching stupid Davis Cup final eitherway). Just noticed 2 more things:
    1. Tournament starts pretty deep - 300BB
    2. Up to 5(!!) rebuys allowed, so even more crashing vs regs

Thanks for encouragement! I'll welcome any other advice, ofcourse. And send me some luck please, I'm gonna need lots of it.
  • nicnameksnicnameks Red Chipper Posts: 57 ✭✭
    Bink the sonofabitch.
  • nicnameksnicnameks Red Chipper Posts: 57 ✭✭
    What to do??? Bink the mother fucker

Yes. Grunched before I saw this.
  • Christian SotoChristian Soto RCP Coach Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭
  • ZENIZENZENIZEN Red Chipper Posts: 166 ✭✭
    Don't ever sell yourself short brother .You didn't get there by accident.
  • NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like your putting way too much pressure on yourself when there shouldn't be any pressure at all. You would be surprised at how soft some of the players will be in a tourney like this. Play tight and don't get fancy. GL.
  • bardorodeobardorodeo Red Chipper Posts: 32
    Have fun. Play tight and in position. Don't get too many chips in the middle with one pair hands. Play one hand, table at a time, and be patient. There will be spots where people will just give you chips, so be patient. You can do it!!!
  • MtipsterMtipster Red Chipper Posts: 131 ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Well, played it, just kicked out after almost 3 hours of play. I was close to the cash most of the time, tripled my stack through small ball play but then guy tricked me by flatting aces when I had about 30bb (funny I watched Young's video about that move few hours earlier but still fell to it). I just don't know what to do when stacks drop to around 30-40 and those opponents definitely do (I checked guys at my table a little at pokerprolabs and some of them have nice 5 fold cash ins). In the end, I'm not so sorry for missing the cash, more players bought in since Friday, so mincash fell from 2000 to only 450.

Those tours are definitely dangerous:
    1. You can easily fall in "gambler" mode, seeing huge 6 fold prizes for higher places (you're aware chances for it are almost none, but still...)
    2. Don't know about others, but personally, I was more tilted after being kicked out today then I'd be after big losing session in my cash game (which is weird because I haven't lost a cent in this tournament)
    3. Variance is huge, I was aware of that before, but today I was checking pokerprolabs for the first time and seen the numbers. Some guys had almost like 1M$ profit in 2015., and then somewhere around that amount loss in 2016., kudos if they can handle that swings, I'd lose my mind!
    I'll definitely stick to cash and play tournaments for free (when good opportunity shows up, like today), but never buyin for real money.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file