NL10 - Overpair facing X/Shove Flop

Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭✭
PokerStars - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

No particular dynamic or history with V. Standard 6-max tagish. Not a complete idiot.

SB: 70.8 BB (VPIP: 36.36, PFR: 29.22, 3Bet Preflop: 10.53, Hands: 159)
BB: 140.5 BB (VPIP: 20.42, PFR: 16.20, 3Bet Preflop: 8.57, Hands: 145)
UTG: 107.5 BB (VPIP: 55.56, PFR: 11.11, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 9)
Hero (CO): 209.1 BB
BTN: 100 BB (VPIP: 15.66, PFR: 13.25, 3Bet Preflop: 3.45, Hands: 85)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K :spade K :diamond

UTG calls 1 BB, Hero raises to 6.2 BB, fold, fold, BB raises to 18 BB, fold, Hero calls 11.8 BB

Flop: (37.5 BB, 2 players) 5 :heart 9 :club 7 :club
BB checks, Hero bets 23.2 BB, BB raises to 122.5 BB and is all-in, Hero?

Sorry for the dumb question but i was feeling a lot rusty, didn't find any rhythm in that session, is this a standard call ?

Comments

• PondyPondy Red Chipper Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Yes, standard call. His 3betting range is JJ+, AQ+, maybe even TT, AJ, and air. His check-raise on such a board suggests that he has an overpair to the board (this is how I would play an overpair), or possibly a draw to the nut flush with AcKc or AcQc or even Ac5c, etc. You are ahead of this range and the only hand you are losing to is AA. I don't completely discount 55, 77, 99 and 86s, but then he also has 88, TT, Tc8c and the likes in his range, so it is still a standard call. More often than not i expect him to show up with JJ+ in this spot.
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭✭
    Do we have to assume that V range pre is probably a bit more wide than normal given he and i are deeper than normal stack size wise ?
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Sorry for the post, I did realize that this is a somewhat obvious call. I don't know, I was off beat yesterday and the fact we were deep made me second guess.
  • PondyPondy Red Chipper Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Do we have to assume that V range pre is probably a bit more wide than normal given he and i are deeper than normal stack size wise ?

Normally, I would say yes. Here, I am not 100% sure if villain is good enough to realise that.
  • The MuleThe Mule Red Chipper Posts: 787 ✭✭✭
    I think the only adjustments most (practically all) nl10 players are making for deeper stacks are:
    - may play some more speculative hands, like one gappers, in position;
    - avoid getting in big pots with good players.

I think it's safe to assume they do not change their 3-betting range.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file