Ask Your Questions About: Information Gathering

SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,071 -
You already know poker is a game all about information - and gathering that information is just as important as knowing what to do with it.

Ask me any questions you have about getting information in real-time and I'll see what I can do to turn it into a video =)
📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.

Comments

• bardorodeobardorodeo Red Chipper Posts: 32
    Great topic for a video. I play mostly live MTT's and I find it challenging to make notes about players during a hand, or right after a hand is completed, especially if there are multiple players in a hand. Sometimes I just focus on taking a note on my phone about just one player at a time to make it faster so I don't get too distracted.

I prefer using my phone because to other players it looks like I'm just texting someone, and may even give the false impression that I'm not paying attention (when really I am).

In terms of what information to record, how do you recommend noting the other players hand ranges for calling, 3-betting? I think I saw Hull developed a template to record hands, but it looked way too complex for me to use on my phone.

Brad
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭✭
    What are the instant adjustments you'll make when someone do a big lay down or a hero call vs. you and/or what are the 5 fundamentals infos you are looking for when you sit at a table.
  • LukaLuka Red Chipper Posts: 216 ✭✭✭
    Since there is so much information available, for me the gathering part isn't so much the issue as much as what to gather. So maybe what to focus on and why that vs. something else.
  • NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭
    SplitSuit wrote: »
    You already know poker is a game all about information - and gathering that information is just as important as knowing what to do with it.

Ask me any questions you have about getting information in real-time and I'll see what I can do to turn it into a video =)

Just a mental checklist of some of the most important things to think about as a hand is being played out.
  • GER4PokerGER4Poker Red Chipper Posts: 47 ✭✭
    What I think would be good, have the forum list topic suggestions to develop a general breakdown, the we could sort it for priority, the develop each topic into the video(or combine topic videos.)Here is my two contributions: important vs trivial(both useful, one lower priority to learn.)
  • Jimmy3150Jimmy3150 Red Chipper Posts: 362 ✭✭
    What adjustments to make (if any) when someone shows a bluff
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    How many data points or points of observations do you need on another player to begin to categorize that player and/or identify with confidence a possible tell?
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    @SplitSuit

I've come to realize that, to gather useful and important infos at the table, you got to have some knowledge about the "right/best" way to play spots/hands/ranges. So i think that finding spots at the table where V is making a somewhat obvious mistake vs. us in regard of his hand/range and our range, and than explaining it could be really cool. A) why is it a mistake and B) What infos we should take into consideration now given the mistake he did.

I was playing a hand versus a Nit/Tag where he called my 2bet preflop IP. I x Flop he bet i call. On turn i had TP+OESD on a Q high board and the Turn filled some straight, i x and he x back. At showdown V had KK. He should have bet the Turn but he didn't and i realize that he is really board dependent and that in the futur i could bluff him more on obvious runout boards that are bad for his range. But if i dont know that Turn play is a mistake i will never be able to take that info.

So you could find standard but nonetheless important spots where the infos will probably be really reliable on a high percentage of time and explain the mistake on that particular spot and what infos we should take and how it will modify our strategy.
  • AcesaladAcesalad Red Chipper Posts: 240 ✭✭
    I would say do it from the start and outline how to build your information gathering system. If you were just starting out what is the first thing you would focus on and what would your method be for observing and remembering it. Then continue with the second thing in the same manner, then the third....
  • JoskroketJoskroket Red Chipper Posts: 34 ✭✭
    How to spot unbalance in your opponents frequencies and how to do something about it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file