Hand 2:XX on JT3

NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
Frequency exploit: The player in the CO plays fit or fold postflop (71% FvFCB) so I want to open a lot of hands against this type of player. Facing two short stack loose-passive players on the button and in the small blind, I have to consider how I’m going to proceed postflop. Preflop, if either of the two short stacks 3-bet, I’m willing to stack off with 88+, AQ and AK as larger pocket pairs and big Aces perform better against a short stack’s range. Preflop range: AA-22,AKo-ATo,KQo-KJo,QJo,AKs-A2s,KQs-KTs,QJs-QTs,JTs-J9s,T9s-T8s,98s-97s,87s-86s,76s-75s,65s 20.7% 274 combos

Workbook Questions: Preflop, I will raise AT, KJ, and 33.

Flop: :Js :Tc :3c

Down to 241 combos on the flop. I will c-bet OESD, FD, overcards, and top pair +. I am betting 157 combos for a 65.1% frequency, expecting to iso the loose-passive short stack and expecting the CO to fold. On a range neutral board, I want to continue to control the hand by betting and applying pressure on my opponents.

Workbook Questions: Bet Jx, Tx, and check 99.

Turn: :5d

CO calls flop and loose-passive player folds. Since we already know that CO plays fit or fold based upon his FvFCB stat and that he has a float percentage of 0, he connected with this board in some way. I narrow his range down to Jx, Tx, straight draws, and flush draws as I believe he would raise sets/two pair on the flop with flush draws and straight draws on board. Although I believe that he is capped at one pair and I am not, he has enough Jx and Tx combos in his range that we are about even equity on the turn. Since his range is capped at one pair and still contains a lot of draws, I am continuing to apply pressure by firing 103 of 157 combos on the turn for a 65.6% frequency. I am not looking to check-raise here since he only bets the turn a small percentage of the time and we are at high risk of letting him check back and actualize his equity.

Workbook Questions: Bet AA, Bet TT, Bet XcYc

River: :8h

Down to 102 combos. On the river, I am continuing to apply pressure with a lot of my range as I feel his range is just too weak to call a third barrel. He also has a low WTSD % meaning that he is very likely to fold on a river that did not improve his hand. I am betting my overpairs, two pairs, sets, and Jx. I do not have any single pair Tx hands that made it to this point. I am betting KQ while checking Ax (for showdown value for his missed draws). I am betting 86 out of 102 combos for an 82.3% frequency.

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,853 -
    Great job!

Hypothetical - say you fire the turn 100% of the time...how do you think the river normally plays out? (You don't have to answer that here - but that's how you would take the range analysis and then reflect to then create a strategic response to his ranges)
    My latest poker course brings the popular book 'Poker's 1%' to life- The One Percent
  • NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    SplitSuit wrote: »
    Great job!

Hypothetical - say you fire the turn 100% of the time...how do you think the river normally plays out? (You don't have to answer that here - but that's how you would take the range analysis and then reflect to then create a strategic response to his ranges)

I know you said I didn't have to answer it here but I would like to. Honestly I should be firing 100% of the time on a turn card like this since his range is very face up. When it comes to the river, this would present me with more opportunities to bluff when it bricks out and Villain doesn't go to showdown enough.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,853 -
    Good man =)
    My latest poker course brings the popular book 'Poker's 1%' to life- The One Percent
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭✭
    HAND #2

The first thing i look for when i consider opening from the HJ is how likely CO and BUT will playback. Is BUT defending a lot the most profitable position in Poker? Does CO noticed that i try to steal HIS position+BUT? If they start to playback i will certainly modify my opening range and maybe start to limp big hands and big broadway cards in the intention of playing aggressively post and/or 4bet to a 3bet.

In this case i notice that CO have a 7% 3bet, which is just a bit over standards in 6max i think. Also, everybody is shortsatcked so it will greatly impact which kind of range i'll open. We've got 2 calling stations in BUT and SB and a more standard taggish player in BB although he is shortstack which could lead me to think he is not a super strong player but i only got 40 hands on him.

Frequencies Exploit : CO fold 71% to FCb's, so i'll fire a lot of boards that dont favor the drawing portion of his range when he Flat call my 2bet. But i'm aware that he is more on the calling station side of the spectrum overall so in the case he doesnt fold to my Cbet, i'll have to 2nd barrel more often to make him fold the SDV portion of his range on very specific Turn.

PREFLOP OPENING RANGE :

22+, A2s+, KTs+, QTs+, J9s+, T8s+, 98s, 87s, 76s, 65s, ATo+, A5o-A2o, KQo, QJo, Jto

23,4% - 310 combos

QUESTION :

“What would you typically do with the following?”

I open AT.
    I open Kjs but ditch Kjo
    I open 33.

FLOP
    J :SPADE: T :CLUB: 3 :CLUB:

On flop i Cbet 2Pairs, 3 of a kind, TP, Over pair, FD, OESD. I think that a dynamic flop like this will greatly appeal to those 2 players considering their tendencies of calling preflop. So basically i'll bet all my value into them + Big combo draws that could outraw them.

FLOP CBET RANGE :

QQ+, JcJh, JdJh, JdJc, ThTs, TdTs, TdTh, 3h3s, 3d3s, 3d3h, AhJh, AcJc+, Ac9c-Ac4c, Ac2c, AdJd, KQs, KhJh, KcJc, KdJd, QhJh, QcJc, QdJd, Jh9h+, Jc9c, Jd9d+, 98s, 8c7c, 7c6c, 6c5c, AcJh, AdJh, AdJc, AsJh, AsJc, AsJd, AhJc, AhJd, AcJd, KQo, QcJh, QdJh, QdJc, QsJh, QsJc, QsJd, QhJc, QhJd, QcJd, JhTs, JcTs, JcTh, JdTs, JdTh, JhTd, JcTd

So it account for 98 combos which represent 32% of the previous range.

QUESTION :

“Given the SB’s stats and stack-size, are you more likely to CB or check with the following hands?”

I bet with Jx
    I bet with AcKc and AcKx
    I X 99

TURN
    5 :DIAMOND:

On Turn I'll bet practically the same range but not the OESD portion of it. But i think it's debatable, since V is not beting a lot of turns so do we need to have a x/r range here? I could be interesting to know his Float Turn %. Since V have a high fold to Cbet Flop and that he called our Cbet Flop, i think he is in the SDV portion of his range, so i like the sizing here with all of our range. Important thing is V doesnt went to showdown a lot and he more often good than not at showdown so it will greatly impact how i will play river with the value portion of my range. But since V is so rarely going to showdown i dont expect him to bluff me very often when i bet into him River, so i'll shove any clubs river except the J of clubs. I'll bet into him with my sets, straight and TP/OvP which i'll fold to a raise(TP/OvP) and probably x/c 2P.

MY TURN BET RANGE :

QQ+, JcJh, JdJh, JdJc, ThTs, TdTs, TdTh, 3h3s, 3d3s, 3d3h, AhJh, AcJc+, Ac9c-Ac4c, Ac2c, AdJd, KhJh, KcJc+, KdJd, QhJh, QcJc, QdJd, Jh9h+, Jc9c, Jd9d+, 9c8c, 8c7c, 7c6c, 6c5c, AcJh, AdJh, AdJc, AsJh, AsJc, AsJd, AhJc, AhJd, AcJd, QcJh, QdJh, QdJc, QsJh, QsJc, QsJd, QhJc, QhJd, QcJd, JhTs, JcTs, JcTh, JdTs, JdTh, JhTd, JcTd

I bet 80 combos which represent 82% of the previous range. I feell like it is too much here.

QUESTION :

“The turn card is a total brick to the board. Would you rather bet or check-raise with the following?”

Since V dont give a lot of action Turn i'd rather bet with all 3 here.

RIVER
    8 :HEART:

On the River i'm following the plan, so i will rarely have bluffs here specially with V tendencies to show the goods really more often than not River. I'll bet all sets, 2P, TPTK, OvP. Probably x/f the rest of it.

BETTING RANGE RIVER :

QQ+, JcJh, JdJh, JdJc, ThTs, TdTs, TdTh, 3h3s, 3d3s, 3d3h, AhJh, AcJc, AdJd, JhTh, JdTd, AcJh, AdJh, AdJc, AsJh, AsJc, AsJd, AhJc, AhJd, AcJd, JhTs, JcTs, JcTh, JdTs, JdTh, JhTd, JcTd

It accounts for 48 combos which represent 60% of the previous range.

QUESTION :

“You decide to fire the river as well. Are you more likely to bet or check the river with the following?”

I check with KQ/Tx and Bet with the TPTK portion of Jx

I am wondering if i have to much of semi-bluffs/bluffs in my range Turn vs. this type of V ?
    edited December 2016
    EDIT:

I dont know why i thought that BB was shortstack, for an obscur reason i thought that full Stack was 100$ because of our stack of 150$.
  • NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    I have already learned a lot about hand reading in the first section and I wanted to share some of my thoughts on each hand in the first section of the workbook. Feel free to add your own info or ask questions! I broke this into a hand by hand post because I don’t want to discourage people from reading a VERY long post if I were to attach it all at once.

Hand 2: In hand 2, we are facing a Villain who plays a very fit-or-fold style postflop. This hand was an excellent example of how an opponent's play on a certain type of runout caps their range and how we should apply maximum pressure when the runout doesn’t favor their range and we are uncapped. I haven’t studied enough in this area but this hand gave me a glimpse down that rabbit hole as I continue to work on improving my understanding of the game.
  • YoshYosh Red Chipper Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
    This one was interesting. Preflop I try to shift my raising range hard to high card and value since there are so many loose and short players at the table. Especially button. Good chance we'll be heads up out of position with an SPR of < 4 or we'll just get shoved on. Turns it CO calls and SB calls. We get a great flop for our (adjusted) range. It's also a decent flop for both opponents as it is connected high and suited. Overall we have equity and a slight nut advantage. I would cbet here a very high amount of the time, maybe letting go with 99,88,etc. On the turn we're heads up and see a brick 5d. I don't see the CO having anything good here after taking a passive line on the flop. His best hand should be AJ. He'll have some decent top pair, some middle pairs, and some straight and flush draws. I'm going to keep betting here most of the time and apply pressure to a weak range. I wouldn't check raise anything because I don't think he is going to bet often enough. On the river the 8h is also not very dynamic. Some straight draws no have a weak pair, Q9s made a straight. Otherwise things are the same. He has weak top pair and missed flush draws. I would bet smallish on the river and 3b over a raise with most of my value hands AJ+ and some missed draws, mostly those that don't block KQ or clubs.
    Just read through the other posts. I'm going to try and do it that way each time so that I'm not influenced by the other poker brains! You both are significantly looser than I am in this spot. Definitely interesting to consider how weak the villain likely is by the river and how we're responding to that.
    REBOOT

You can click on the pictures.
    q6q9u8csbk9c.png
    in075ejyh6vc.png
    dfqbe87ov3m2.png
    33x8s74ui95n.png
    v435oyem5rvw.png
    tmpghsj0q6iv.png
  • obliviusoblivius Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Yo Adam, what's this "S4Y" MP open range?? Thanks3xbvdh9szoaz.png

Leave a Comment