Hand 4: XX on A63

NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭
We have a small sample size so far for a loose-passive Villain but despite his overall stats he has a tight RFI% of 13% and only continues with 50% of his raising range vs. a 3-bet but has yet to fold to a 3-bet. I will squeeze here with a polarized range of AA-QQ,44-22,AKo,AKs,A5s-A2s, leaving most of my range in tact for defending my button. Squeezing with 58 combos, 5.13%.

Workbook Questions: Squeeze AJ no, 99 no, A5s yes

My preflop calling range: JJ-55,AQo-AJo,KQo-KJo,QJo,AQs-A8s,KQs-KTs,QJs-QTs,JTs-J9s,T9s-T8s,98s-97s,87s-86s,76s-75s,65s,54s 190 combos 14.3%

Flop: :AD::6C::3S:

Down to 173 combos on the flop. With Villain having a tight continuing range here, a low c-bet %, and betting into 3 people on a very dry flop, I expect him to have a betting range heavily consisting of large Ax hands and sets. Since his range here is so strong, I will be continuing with a very low frequency consisting of Ax hands, 54, 66 as well as 75s, 86s, 65s for gutshots, spiking two pair, and backdoor straights. I am making a snug fold with my pocket pairs that did not connect with the board, including JJ. Continuing with 53 combos at a 30.6% frequency.

Workbook Questions: Calling Ax, 66, and 54.

Turn: :6D:

Down to 48 combos on the turn. It is no surprise that Villain fires a second barrel here with a tight assigned continuing range and a 100% turn c-bet%. Because of his tight range, I am not looking to raise any of my hands here. I will call with my Ax hands, 6x hands, 75dd, and 54s combos. Continuing with 45 out of 48 combos for a 93.8% frequency.

Workbook Questions: Calling AT, 6x, FD

River: :5D:

Down to 43 combos on the river. I have no flush draws remaining. After Villain fires a third barrel on a very dry board and has a strong W$SD%, I am folding any Ace less than AJ. I will raise any remaining 6x hands that I have. Calling or raising with 31 out of 43 combos for a 72.1% frequency.

Comments

• epokertable.netepokertable.net Red Chipper Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Ninjah wrote: »
    Down to 48 combos on the turn. It is no surprise that Villain fires a second barrel here with a tight assigned continuing range and a 100% turn c-bet%. Because of his tight range, I am not looking to raise any of my hands here. I will call with my Ax hands, 6x hands, 75dd, and 54s combos. Continuing with 45 out of 48 combos for a 93.8% frequency.

Would you consider raising 6x hands for value? I would think villain would be calling most of his Ax hands. I would even consider an overbet to make it look like a flushdraw if I though villain was capable of that read.

My second thought would be to raise my 54s since there is no showdown value but the potential to make a monster on the river if the raise doesn't take it down on the turn. I know you have multiple players in the pot but CO hasn't show any aggression.
  • NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭

Would you consider raising 6x hands for value? I would think villain would be calling most of his Ax hands. I would even consider an overbet to make it look like a flushdraw if I though villain was capable of that read.

My second thought would be to raise my 54s since there is no showdown value but the potential to make a monster on the river if the raise doesn't take it down on the turn. I know you have multiple players in the pot but CO hasn't show any aggression.

I'm assuming that you're talking about the turn? I put that I would raise 6x on the river. If I have a 6x on the turn I could consider raising but when he's fired twice already I don't mind giving him another opportunity to fire again on the river. Board is pretty dry overall even on the turn so if we raise him here it may raise some red flags. For those same reasons yes, you certainly could consider raising 54s on the turn. However, if we suspect that Villain has a strong Ace, what is he afraid of that beats him? Only 4 combos of sets on the turn and two pair is very unlikely. It's also unlikely that we hold a ton of 6x and don't have any flush draws, especially after the river. There just isn't much that a thinking player (assuming Villain is such) should be afraid of on this board so we are at risk of him not buying the story we're trying to tell.
    Edit: When I said 4 combos of sets on the turn, I'm referring to 3 combos of 3s and 1 combo of 66 (which would obv be quads on the turn, not a set).
  • epokertable.netepokertable.net Red Chipper Posts: 25 ✭✭

I'm assuming that you're talking about the turn? I put that I would raise 6x on the river. If I have a 6x on the turn I could consider raising but when he's fired twice already I don't mind giving him another opportunity to fire again on the river. Board is pretty dry overall even on the turn so if we raise him here it may raise some red flags. For those same reasons yes, you certainly could consider raising 54s on the turn. However, if we suspect that Villain has a strong Ace, what is he afraid of that beats him? Only 4 combos of sets on the turn and two pair is very unlikely. It's also unlikely that we hold a ton of 6x and don't have any flush draws, especially after the river. There just isn't much that a thinking player (assuming Villain is such) should be afraid of on this board so we are at risk of him not buying the story we're trying to tell.

Sorry, yes I was referring to the 6 on the turn. I agree with you it is still a dry board. One thing I always worry about when this kind of card comes on the turn is if a river diamond comes does it kill the action? So I'm thinking I'm trying to get more in before the action killer comes. Or this giving the villain too much credit?

My second thought is a bit contradictory to my first. I agree I don't think we are getting a big Ace to fold, but could we get KK-77 to fold? Half pot bets feel like they are probing to see where they are at. Or do you feel V's range to Ace heavy to attempt this move?
    I think his range is too Ace heavy for this. He has a very tight range and it's very unlikely that he fires those hands you mentioned for a second barrel, but especially not for a third. Half-pot bets on a dry board like this are pretty standard.
    I think his range is too Ace heavy for this. He has a very tight range and it's very unlikely that he fires those hands you mentioned for a second barrel, but especially not for a third. Half-pot bets on a dry board like this are pretty standard.

@epokertable.net
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭✭
    The first i take into account is that although EP post a 36%Vpip he is fairly tight in his opening. He got a strong linear opening range most of the time.

CO is a bit under 100BB so i'm expecting him to have a very mid to low PP heavy calling range here since he wouldn't call with SC at 90BB and with players left to act behind.

Given the fact that EP is more often than not strong here i will flat 22-QQ and 3Bet a very strong range since 1) EP is strong 2) He doesn't fold to 3Bet. I will call Every aces suited+Every Broadway. I'll keep in mind that i will need very strong draws or strong made hands to put money in the middle since TPGK won't be good enough of the time vs. EP opening range and 2+ players.
    So this is my flatting range before the flop consist of 210 combos - 15,8%
    25sbp9xeg0t9.png

Interesting note, V doesn't Cbet Flop a lot, 40% so it will be super easy to play draws IP vs. him and also easy to define his Cbet range on flop texture. And since CO will have a set mine range, won't hit often and in a tough spot with underpair often, we will bluff a lot of boards(with good to great equity) when X to us.

BOOK'S QUESTION :

AJ - Squeeze 50% of the time
    99 - Call
    A5s - Squeeze 100%

On flop with card removal i got 185 combos.

I will call all nuts which are Sets, I'll call OESD, i'll call PP that can improve to different draws on Turn + QQ/JJ/TT
    So my calling range on flop is this, 92 combos which represent 49% of the previous range.
    yw7kvlxqu15c.png

Since V Cbet Turn 100% of the time i think i would need much 2P type hands in my calling range but i'm a bit puzzled here on what to raise on Flop. The fact that it is a 4 way pot render this a lot tougher. But when we hit hard in a 4 way pot i got the feeling that other won't obviously hit a lot so we need to keep weak portion of their range in.

BOOK'S QUESTION:

Ax - I raise
    66 - Call
    54 - Call

On Turn with card removal i got 90 combos.

Here i'm expecting EP to fire again but the 6 makes it less likely that i called with second set flop and i'm expecting EP to know this. That's why i think i'll need to call with a lot of T2P Flop to have leverage on Turn. I realize this in this particular spot. So i maybe made a mistake by raising practically all my T2P flop.
    I realize that if i dont call them, more often than not i won't be able to face that 2nd barrel so i need more Value hands Turn.

My calling range Turn is, 22 combos which account for 24% of the previous range. On a paired board with 2 players, given the action and dont think i will be able to represent a lot of things river and have a lot of fold equity so bluffing is going nowhere. So essentially i dont think i need bluffs River. I call with QQ/JJ/TT which becomes Bluff catchers. Tough thing is that if CO Boated the Turn he is calling near 100% of the time and EP will probably bet near 100% of the time under same circumstances and i'll call near 100% of the time also, so River won't change a lot of things i think.
    4dy7r8lt9tb2.png

BOOK'S QUESTION

AT - Raise
    6x - Raise
    FD - Call.

On river i got the same 22 combos.

I feel that i badly played that hand. I feel that QQ/JJ/TT are wasted here. I fell that i dont have a lot of options in terms of bluffing. My range consist mostly of bluff catchers and given the fact that V is winning 52% when going to showdown i should have a much more stronger range River. And basically i dont fell i can push him out of the pot given actions.

Even the book's question give me trouble now.

AT - Bluff/raise
    6x - Call
    A Non-Flush - Bluff/Raise.
    I have already learned a lot about hand reading in the first section and I wanted to share some of my thoughts on each hand in the first section of the workbook. Feel free to add your own info or ask questions! I broke this into a hand by hand post because I don’t want to discourage people from reading a VERY long post if I were to attach it all at once.

Hand 4: This was probably one of the easier hands I worked out of the first ten (which may mean that I messed up somewhere). Villain’s actions indicate a big hand so it made it easier for me to filter my range down to hands that I felt like had a chance to compete with his. This hand also gave me a better insight into really narrowing down Villain’s range to a small percentage of hands, which is easier to do when Villain has tight stats and takes actions that makes his range even tighter. I often have a tendency to play back and too many opponents and this hand to me was a clear indication that sometimes you just have to get out of the way with a lot of your range.
  • YoshYosh Red Chipper Posts: 580 ✭✭✭
    Limited stats with only ~100 hands. Giving villain the benefit of the doubt, probably raises tighter UTG than other spots. Tight player cold calls. If we call we'll likely start the domino effect since SB and BB are both deeper stacked with EP.

AJ fold
    99 call
    A5s 3b

Calling range:
    JJ-77,AQo,AQs-ATs,KQs-KJs,QJs,JTs,T9s,98s,87s
    6%, 82 combos

:AD::6C::3S:

Not a great flop for my calling range. I have some good aces and that's about it. I'll be folding most of the time here to 4 way EP continue.

Ax call
    66 folded preflop, if I had it I would call
    54 folded preflop, if I had it I would call

I don't think I have a raising range in this spot.

Calling range:
    AQo,AQs-ATs
    24%, 18 combos

:6D:

AT fold
    6x call
    Flush draw call

The villain is showing a lot of strength after his flop bet was called and over called in position. It's time to start planning an exit strategy.

Calling range:
    AQ
    66%, 12 combos

:5D:

AT fold
    6x raise
    Non nut flush raise

I'll call here with AxQd. I'm generally giving the villain credit. He has shown incredible strength throughout and shouldn't be lighter than AK.

Calling range:
    AdQd, AhQd, AcQd
    25%, 3 combos
  • fatking lfatking l Red Chipper Posts: 32 ✭✭
    Very nice posts. I obviously overlooked the tight PFR and cbet stat. I will have to start over
  • fatking lfatking l Red Chipper Posts: 32 ✭✭
    Villain is obv open raising tight and not folding to 3bet.
    CO appears tight but recreational (< full stack), so we can assume him as quite passive.

Therefore I will 3bet only the top of my value range (QQ+, AK), and flat the rest

Preflop range: 252 (19%)
    JJ-22,AQo-AJo,KQo-KJo,QJo,AQs-A2s,KQs-K7s,QJs-Q9s,JTs-J8s,T9s-T8s,98s-97s,87s-86s,76s-75s,65s,54s

On the flop 224 combos left

Flop
    EP is continuing only with decent made hands like TP+
    CO calling with all his PP, maybe TP

I think we raise only 2P here for value and protection and call the rest of our made hands + all straight draws and all nut bdfd, mid pair + bdfd, we could call with our PP better than 6s

JJ-22,AQo-AJo,AQs-A2s,86s,76s-75s,65s,54s, KdQd, KdJd, KdTd, Kd9d, Kd8d, Kd7d
    103 hands, ~48%

Turn
    On the turn EP continues, nothing change, he now has top 2P, maybe already a boat
    CO is drawing to a FH or flush

Raising makes only sense if we shove. A 3x+1 raise leaves us with 20 behind and a SPR of less than 0.5
    Shoving the FD has only about 20% equity, Ax about 25% (vs. EP), so I don't know. Ax could make the nuts, so probalby better to shove that one if at all - my tendency is to call here, with

JJ-22,AQo-AJo,AQs-A7s,A5s-A4s,A2s,86s,76s-75s,65s,54s,As6s,Ac3c,KdQd,KdJd,KdTd,Kd9d,Kd8d,Kd7d
    62% (62 hands)

River

On the river I can probably raise 6x (it has about 70% equity against EP), all others are calls797yg6islg7g.png

• Cees_DCees_D Red Chipper Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Hi all, this is what I made of it:

Min raise form EP. EP is loose-passive, deep stack 158BB. Co Calls, is TAG, 90BB. Me BUT, 100BB. SB LAG, deep with 260BB. BB TAG, Super deep 661BB. Effective stack is CO with 90BB. CO calls and is tight, so tighten my calling range. Also because EP has 13% EP RFI.

Preflop
    AJ = Call, because I see enough playability post flop.
    99 = Call, set mine. EP is deep.
    A5s = Sqeeuze. EP 50% Cv3bet. 3x squeeze needs to work 50% ott. So 3x squeeze is break even.

EP RFI 13%. So my calling range needs to be about 13%. Also because of the tight CO.

My calling range:
    JJ-22,AQo-ATo,KQo-KJo,AQs-ATs,KQs-KJs,QJs,JTs,T9s,98s,87s,76s,65s,54s
    13% and 172 combo's

EP RFI:
    AA-22,AKo-AJo,KQo,AKs-AJs,KQs-KJs,QJs,JTs,T9s,98s,87s,76s,65s

Flop
    :AD::6C::3S:

Flop hits EP's range more. (Normally I would fold or call one street. If there was a flushdraw on the board it would benfit our range.) EP CB $2.34. EP FCB 40%, fires while he is normally passive and bets into three people. So I presume he already has got a strong holding like Ax.

Ax = Call, because EP has stronger Ax in his range.
    66 = Call, to get BB to join. Also EP has TCB 100% so we can XC turn.
    54 = Call, because EP presumably has strong holding like Ax and won't fold to raise. And if tun and river stay dry we have nothing to bluff with.

EP CB Range (FCB 40%, so 40% of previous range continues):
    AA-JJ,66,33,AKo-AJo,AKs-AJs (PP below TP JJ+/TP/Set)

My calling range:
    JJ-66,33,AQo-ATo,AQs-ATs,54s,KcQc,KdQd,KsQs,KcJc,KdJd,KsJs,QcJc,QdJd,QsJs,JcTc,JdTd,JsTs,Tc9c,Td9d,Ts9s,9c8c,9d8d,9s8s,8c7c,8d7d,8s7s,7d6d,7s6s,6d5d,6s5s (PP below TP/TP/SET/OESD/Bckdr FD)
    66.4% and 101 combo's

Turn
    :6D:

Board pairs. This is more benificial for my range, because of the lower suited connectors and Flush potential. EP double barrels half pot. His TCB is 100% so his range doesnot only contain nutted holdings. 80% of his range is PP below TP and TP. I still have him on strong Ax, mabye now also pocket 33 or pocket AA. Pocket 66 not so much because I have blockers in the low suited connectors. CO also called and is a TAG so also should have an strong holding. Since I think we have about the same range I don't worry to much about him.

AT = Call. Normally I would fold ATo because I feel its not strong enough for SDV against EP and CO. Maybe turn it into a bluff here, but into two players with strong holding and a paird board, . . . not such a good idea.
    6x = Call. I'm a little afraid of the pocket 33 and AA
    Flush Draw = Call. I'm a little afraid of the pocket 33 and AA

My calling range:
    66,33,AQo-ATo,AQs-ATs,KdQd,KdJd,QdJd,JdTd,Td9d,9d8d,8d7d,7s6s,6s5s,5d4d (TP/3oaK/FH/Quads/flushdraw)
    51.5% and 50 combo's

EP's CB range (TCB 100%):
    AA-JJ,66,33,AKo-AJo,AKs-AJs (PP below TP JJ+/TP/3oaK/FH/Quads)

River
    :5D:

EP Third barrels half pot into two persons. CO folds. So EP is not affraid of Flush and 3oak6. I dont se him as bluffy because of his preflop passivity. So although I don't like it I now have him on a Full House or Quads.

AT= Call (Conluding the above I would fold)
    6x = Call (Conluding the above I would fold)
    A Non-nut Flush = Call (Conluding the above I would fold)

My calling range:
    66,33,6s5s (Full House/Quads)
    10.2% and 5 combo's

EP's CB range:
    AA,66,33 (Full House/Quads)
  • dave19067dave19067 Red Chipper Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    EP seems like a passive calling station despite the tight PFR. Sure he's three-barreling but the bets are relatively small. His 36% VPIP leads me to believe that as well as his 55% WTSD. Even with a small sample size, the gap between VPIP and PFR is telling. Given that image, I am likely to raise on the turn with trips 6x to get a bigger percentage of our stacks in the pot, and be able to make a nice size value bet on the river. I agree his range is strongly AX, and when we get to the river, I am thinking of raising trips 6 and the small flush against a calling station type player.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file