The Course #7 - Evaluating Board Textures question

AcesaladAcesalad Red Chipper Posts: 240 ✭✭
In the early part of the video, I get the point he is trying to make of why hit frequencies shouldn't correlate with folding frequencies, his example is when you bet $50 into a $100 pot, you need to get folds 33% of the time to break even. I don't see the connection he made with hit frequencies, how you need about 70% and when we have 6-6-3 we only get hits 28% of the time so KQo should be in our 70% range. I know why he says KQo should be in the 70% range, I just don't see where they 70% comes from. Any thoughts?

Comments

• The MuleThe Mule Red Chipper Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
    Coincidentally, I watched this video yesterday.

Miller uses 70% in his book "Poker's 1%" as the required default calling frequency. I believe it's based on game theory with a standard size bet in the 2/3 - 3/4 pot range, and allows for the equity of the bettor's bluffs.

So if your opponent bets half pot on 66 rainbow, you need to call at least 2/3 of the time to prevent them being able to auto profit by bluffing any two cards. You need to call a little more than this because their bluffs will have some equity - if you're calling with A high or KQo, their worst hands still have at least 3 outs to a pair on the turn.
  • AcesaladAcesalad Red Chipper Posts: 240 ✭✭
    I still don't see the connection. He is talking about betting 1/2 pot, not calling, so I don't see how the 70% calling frequency enters the picture.
  • boyd148boyd148 Red Chipper Posts: 96 ✭✭
    It's been awhile since I read "Poker's 1%", but I seem to remember Miller advocating that, in general, you should bet (when you are the preflop aggressor ) and call ( when you aren't the preflop aggressor ) at the same 70% frequency.
  • AcesaladAcesalad Red Chipper Posts: 240 ✭✭
    boyd148 wrote: »
    It's been awhile since I read "Poker's 1%", but I seem to remember Miller advocating that, in general, you should bet (when you are the preflop aggressor ) and call ( when you aren't the preflop aggressor ) at the same 70% frequency.
    Thanks Boyd. I'll have to go over that section of the video and see if it makes more sense now.

• RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everybody and @Ed Miller
    I watched the video today (crash course 1/2$). A great one, really opening my eyes to a new perspective.

I've a question: your are talking about how often hands are hitting the board - like that 80% of the hands would hit somehow a 987 board.
    I want to play with number and look how board are hit and with which kind of hands. I looked with Flopzilla (as you quoted this software) but did not find anything working that way. So how can we get these numbers?

Thanks for your answer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file