Hand 8: XX on AT9

NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭
With the SB having a folding to a steal 79% of the BB being a loose-passive player, I will open a wide range of hands here. Opening: AA-22,AKo-A8o,KQo-K9o,QJo-Q9o,JTo-J9o,T9o,AKs-A2s,KQs-K8s,QJs-Q8s,JTs-J8s,T9s-T7s,98s-96s,87s-85s,76s-75s,65s-64s,54s 31.8% 422 combos

Workbook Questions: Fold A7o, Raise K8s, fold 74s

When the SB resteals, he is doing so with a wide range. An 8% depolarized range would look like AA-99,AKo-AJo,KQo,AKs-AJs,KQs-KJs,QJs,JTs. Since his 3-bet range is wide here, I would 4-bet with an equivalent range, expecting a fold most of the time and when he doesn’t fold, I have position with a lot of blockers and drawing hands. My 4-bet range would consist of AA-88,AKo-AQo,AKs-AJs,KQs-KJs,QJs,JTs,T9s,98s,87s 106 combos 8%.

Workbook Questions: 4-bet AQ, 99, and KQs

Flop: :As:Th:9h

Down to 85 combos on the flop. After Villain flats my 4-bet, I removed some hands from his range. I set his calling range to JJ-TT,AKo-AQo,AKs-AJs,KQs,QJs,JTs and with this range he has top pair nearly 60% of the time, which means he is continuing vs. a c-bet frequently. Therefore, I want my c-betting range to be value heavy combined with some combo draws. With only a 1.5 SPR, I see no need to wait around to get money in the middle. My betting range here will consist of AA, TT, 99,AKo-AQo,AKs-AJs,KQs-KJs (hearts),QJs,T9s,87s. This is 49 out of 85 combos for a 57.6% frequency.

Workbook Questions: Bet AK, A3dd n/a, betting TT and T9

When he check-shoves, I assign him a range of TT,AKo-AQo,AKs-AJs,KhQh, and QJs. I will call with my betting range mentioned above, which has a 55% to 45% equity advantage vs. his range.

Workbook Questions: Calling AQ, QJ, A3dd n/a

Comments

• NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭
    I have already learned a lot about hand reading in the first section and I wanted to share some of my thoughts on each hand in the first section of the workbook. Feel free to add your own info or ask questions! I broke this into a hand by hand post because I don’t want to discourage people from reading a VERY long post if I were to attach it all at once.

Hand 8: I feel like this was a decent analysis of the hand overall but I am very inexperienced in 4-bet pots that see the flop. I would really like input from others on my breakdown of this hand and as to whether or not my assigned ranges throughout the hand are reasonable.
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭✭
    The first thing i notice is the looseness of the BB and the calling tendencies of SB also.
    I will widen a tiny bit my steal range in this spot given those 2 players type tendencies but not that much since playing IP vs. those 2 should suffice to post great profits.

Also, we are 3 handed so i would think that it is ok to widen, we are kind of forced to do it given that event.

SB 3Bet on the looser side so i'll have to be prepared to fight vs. him. I often look at his play Flop when i'm vs. this type of players, specially his play in 3bet pot to see if he is giving only action pre than shutdown post. If he is giving a lot of action post in 3bet pot, i'll include stronger holding in my 3bet calling range.

So my range could be something like this :

38.2% = 506 combos
    se8rqouvmvpl.png

QUESTION:

A7 = Raise/Steal
    K8s = Raise/Steal
    74s = Fold.

So SB 3Bet and BB fold. Since we are deeper than 100BB i think i will be more inclined to call with strong broadways connectors suited and off, some big hands like AA-KK-QQ, than 4beting some PP JJ-TT-99-88 and call with the bottom portion of PP.

So this could be my 4betting range :

10.6% = 140 combos. So i will 4bet 27% of the previous stealing range.

ccsdehcvrlbz.png

QUESTION:

AQ = High% 4bet
    99 = 4Bet
    KQ suited = Call
    FLOP = :As:9h:Th

On this flop i will fire on a decent frequencies since, given the nature of the V range and his action which is checking, he will draw a lot of the time. So i'll designed my Cbet to not let him draw cheaply and i'll Cbet with a range that have either great/good equity and outdrawing potential.

V is going a lot to showdown and is beaten more often than not which lead me to think that he will call practically all his draws on this flop.

Here is my Cbetting range on this flop:

81.75 combos = 58%

th3iac90paz0.png

QUESTION:

AK=Cbet
    Ad3d = Check
    Tx = Check

When V is shoving, i practically call with all my range here.

QUESTION:

AQ = Call
    QdJd = Call
    Ad3d = Call

• YoshYosh Red Chipper Posts: 580 ✭✭✭
    I would argue that you shouldn't 3x the button. You have incentive to steal often and to keep the flop SPR as high as possible so as to preserve your positional advantage, especially as stacks get deeper. This pushes your best raise size towards min. Now, since the BB is loose / passive / fun you do have some incentive to raise bigger with your better hands, but this is offset by the aggressive SB. If you do raise 3x it should be with a tighter range, and I generally agree with @Ninjah and @Adam Wheeler. Somewhere around 30%.

The 4-bet seems too big preflop, and the bet on the flop is definitely way too big. This goes back to the current discussion @colldav is raising about leverage. Another good example. On the flop the SPR is 1.5. The leverage point has arrived. Any bet greater than $6 leaves less than a pot size bet on the turn. Therefore, if you want to make a bluff here you can leverage a much smaller bet size to put the villain to a decision for his stack. Why bet 2/3 pot leaving just 1/3 pot on the river?!

For range, I think we can try to solve this spot for maximum exploitation if we give the villain a range and strategy for 3b/5b. I realize he called here but that is very uncommon oop and the 3b/5b game can be educational (esp. for me!)

(@SplitSuit the pot size on the river in the workbook is incorrect)

Yosh wrote: »
    I would argue that you shouldn't 3x the button. You have incentive to steal often and to keep the flop SPR as high as possible so as to preserve your positional advantage, especially as stacks get deeper. This pushes your best raise size towards min. Now, since the BB is loose / passive / fun you do have some incentive to raise bigger with your better hands, but this is offset by the aggressive SB. If you do raise 3x it should be with a tighter range, and I generally agree with @Ninjah and @Adam Wheeler. Somewhere around 30%.

Great consideration about sizing.
    Yosh wrote: »
    (@SplitSuit the pot size on the river in the workbook is incorrect)
    River ? The hand is shoved flop.
  • YoshYosh Red Chipper Posts: 580 ✭✭✭
    Lol...good point, no river! I meant the end of the hand when the villain shoves. After reading again I see what the author's are doing. I find it confusing that the stack sizes are not updated by the action. I think this could be revised.

edited January 2017
    Yes, good point @Yosh.

@SplitSuit

When V or Hero is taking an action as betting, i think it could be better if the $ was immediately taken out of the stack instead of the next page.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file