Ranges in Multiway Pots

jegingrichjegingrich Red Chipper Posts: 14 ✭✭
You a playing in a $1/2 live game with 100BB where most pots go multiway (3+) when raised or limped. Any suggestions on what hand ranges to consider using for calling in these multiway pots from the button or blinds when it goes raise or limp and multiple callers to you? Typically there is very little squeezing, but everyone wants to see a flop. I see some players calling in a raised pot with any two suited cards. Can this really be +EV?

Jim

Best Answers

Answers

• jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any two suited is -EV.

If there was a raise in front of you, I would definitely not be squeezing with AT, for example.

Avoid the typical traps, such as being dominated while holding weaker broadway cards when there was a raise.

Avoid calling raises in the blinds that don't play well out of position (suited connectors, etc.) Pocket pairs play a little better because they're not going to flop a draw and thus are somewhat easier to play.

Be sure to check effective stacks and the combinations of high and low stacks vs. what each might have against you in the hand. If the player most likely to play poorly has the short stack and the player with the deeper stack plays better, don't be as speculative.

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,069 -
    jeffnc wrote: »
    If there was a raise in front of you, I would definitely not be squeezing with AT, for example.

Why's that? I love squeezing this spot and I prefer people try to squeeze with AT than always flat and wonder "how the hell should I play top pair meh kicker in this bloated MW pot?" all of the time...
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SplitSuit wrote: »
    Why's that? I love squeezing this spot and I prefer people try to squeeze with AT than always flat and wonder "how the hell should I play top pair meh kicker in this bloated MW pot?" all of the time...

I would normally fold, not call, but if I played the hand I'd reraise usually. What I meant to be saying is I don't try to squeeze if
    a) I'm dominated
    b) I'm likely to be called

I suppose by definition a "squeeze play" means you think the original raiser had a loose raising hand to begin with and is likely to fold, in which case AT is a fine hand to squeeze with. I guess I wasn't sure what OP meant by "little squeezing going on" or who is doing the raising.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file